KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Considering your music and sound preferences I would seriously consider an used Wilson Alexia - IMHO currently they are the best speaker bargain of anytime.

I've heard Alexias many times - sorry, but I find them incoherent with boomy bass, and not to mention difficult to drive. Based on my preliminary Sasha DAW audition in November, I would pay more for new DAWs.

I tried to steer Keith in the direction of ARC 160Ms so he would have more power to drive YGs or Rockports.

Big tube monoblocks are not under consideration - in fact, I'd move to SS if I needed more power. Likely, the Luxman m900u. Quite honestly, tubes and wheelchairs just don't mix as proven yet again this week. Neither does analog, but I'm doing my best for you :)

Ron, I had also thought the same about an intermediate step with upgrading to Audio Research 160Ms and something like Harbeth 40.2s which have fantastic tone and bass and will easily play towards Keith’s music preferences...
Harbeths put me to sleep, sorry...especially on electronica. Vandy and Harby have their fans but I'm not one of them.

fyi- Verity, Zellaton, etc. are not available locally for demo. But thanks, gents!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If solid-state is good enough for Andy Payor then I have no choice but to endorse solid-state for you.

(But high-power hybrid amplifiers typically have only two small input tubes.)

High-power solid-state (Pass, Gryphon, Luxman, etc.) opens up a whole new world and enables you to reconsider Rockports.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Keith, you may very well like the bigger Gamut’s.
Don’t agree with you on the big Harbeth 40.2’s, as I have heard these sound excellent on a variety of music. You would need a very large room though.

Another speaker to consider if budget allows..
The Eggleston Works Viginti’s....recently heard these with some CAT amps, they were very impressive. Not sure if they would work with ARC Ref 75?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've heard Alexias many times - sorry, but I find them incoherent with boomy bass, and not to mention difficult to drive. Based on my preliminary Sasha DAW audition in November, I would pay more for new DAWs.

The Alexia 1 was their least good speaker. Incoherent and boomy sum it up perfectly. The Sasha 2 is way superior..

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Next up, Gamut speakers thoughts....and a Wilson Sasha vs YG Sonja demo :cool:

YG is imo by far the best in your line up so win should be slam dunk

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
The Alexia 1 was their least good speaker. Incoherent and boomy sum it up perfectly. The Sasha 2 is way superior..
And the new DAW is for me the best looking of the wilsons... those side vents make it look nice and edgy.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
If solid-state is good enough for Andy Payor then I have no choice but to endorse solid-state for you.

(But high-power hybrid amplifiers typically have only two small input tubes.)

High-power solid-state (Pass, Gryphon, Luxman, etc.) opens up a whole new world and enables you to reconsider Rockports.
Why Ron? Because Andy makes cool looking toys? That doesn’t mean he hears that well, it just means he is pretty imaginative and a good engineer...let’s not get caught in a classic human blind spot of the halo effect.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You have heard the others?

Rockport, Gamut, all Wilson except the DAW but didn't like any more than YG except that the bigger models like Alexia and Alexandria have more bass. All outside show conditions, unlike what you mentioned on the Goebel thread. I prefer YG to all compromised horns including Cessaro Liszt so do not see why Wagner should be any different.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I can't see the AR amps working with YG - they need to be driven hard to come alive, otherwise they sound dull and flat.

A couple of other (easier to drive) suggestions: Wilson Benesch (disclosure - I own a pair), and Stenheim.

Reactions: bonzo75

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I can't see the AR amps working with YG - they need to be driven hard to come alive, otherwise they sound dull and flat.

A couple of other (easier to drive) suggestions: Wilson Benesch (disclosure - I own a pair), and Stenheim.

Painting things with such a wide brush won't do anybody any favors. While YGs are indeed fairly inefficient, because of their design, they do come alive rather easily, once an initial wattage "barrier" is surpassed.
The limitation then becomes the size of the room and how far you sit from them. Move the chair less than a meter backwards, and you lose *a lot* of output. If you set them up right, for the right room, you can drive a Hailey with Keith's REF75SE. I know because we've done it.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Painting things with such a wide brush won't do anybody any favors. While YGs are indeed fairly inefficient, because of their design, they do come alive rather easily, once an initial wattage "barrier" is surpassed.
The limitation then becomes the size of the room and how far you sit from them. Move the chair less than a meter backwards, and you lose *a lot* of output. If you set them up right, for the right room, you can drive a Hailey with Keith's REF75SE. I know because we've done it.

Alex,

Given that you are dealer for both YG and Wilson. How would you compare their respective sound character or lack thereof? I would that think the YG's resolution even on the current Hailey 1.2 tweeter would surpass the latest model Wilsons? The new Hailey with tweeter from the Sonja XV/2 would even further its treble and high frequency resolution over the Wilson.

Whereas are the current Wilson products voiced more lively? Forgive my description or say are they more dynamic sounding due to their higher sensitivity and ported design over the YG?

Just simply two different sound characters. Is the choice between a speaker that has the resolution (YG) or more dynamic and jump factor (Wilson)?

Reactions: bonzo75

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
First, I can only comment on recent Wilsons (post-Sabrina/Alexia 2), as those are the products I've had the most exposure to.
I'd say both speakers do transparency equally well. The thing is, for each manufacturer, "transparency" means a different thing. YGs are transparent to the recording, and because of the sealed bass arrangement, they'll present the recording truly as it is. Because of this, they are much more demanding on partnering amplifier, as if the amp is somehow deviating from neutrality, or adding/subtracting too much, you'll hear it.
Wilson's transparency lies in the "fool you", realistic portrayal of instruments in space. But they'll only show everything once 1) the positioning is right, 2) the drivers are properly aligned to the listening position. If 1) isn't right, the transparency will not be there, as the excess bass will obscure detail.
I think YGs are very lively, when paired right. Livelier than other sealed speaker designs that I've heard, for sure. But yeah, the jump factor on a Wilson is indeed higher. And that's part of what makes them more transparent to some, as they present instruments closer to how they sound like in space, due to the weightier presentation, and the temporal correctness. I mean, if you can't be fooled there's a tympani in the room, what's the point, right? :) Even a modestly sized speaker like Sabrina can properly give you the weight and texture of orchestral instrumentals, and again, when positioned right, will have incredible resolution.
I can say that I used to have a clear favorite, and now, with these 3 products (Sabrina, Alexia 2 and Sasha DAW), I don't have a clear favorite anymore, and my choice will likely depend on the mood and what kind of music I'm listening to.
We used to have Avantgardes in the store, and that's usually what I'd go for, for my classic rock/prog rock fix. Don't need to anymore, as the Wilsons are amazing on that music, dynamic, punchy, rich when/where it needs to be, while not glossing over details at all. I'm just happy that I can switch back/forth between WA and YGs, as the mood strikes.
So, our approach is to present both lines as best as we can, present their virtues, and let folks decide which presentation they prefer. We don't use the terms or descriptions you've used, at least not generically like that. I try to know a little bit more about the room the speaker will be placed in, partnering gear, and listening habits, before I can even advise one way or another, as what can be, on paper, a positive aspect, when placed in the wrong room/setup, can actually become a problem.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Painting things with such a wide brush won't do anybody any favors.

Forum = opinions. This one happens to be mine based on experience of the speaker in question, in my listening room. Others are welcome to theirs.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
You stated fact " they need to be driven hard to come alive, otherwise they sound dull and flat.", and I just pointed out that, while that might be your experience, that is not entirely true. Thus my comment, "paiting...with such a wide brush".
Yeah, in a big room (10 x 8m), sitting 5 meters away, yeah, they might sound dull and flat with 75W. But in a smaller room (4 x 6m?), sitting 2m away, they'll sing even with a REF75SE. That's all I meant to say. Don't generalize.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I might be a bit biased, but I haven't found a better speaker for a medium size room <$50k than the Magico S5 Mk2 + SPods. I previously owned S5 Mk1's which are good, but the Mk2 is an order of magnitude better and is a very 'complete' speaker. They use the exact same midrange drivers as the M3 (Part No: MAG6004RTC), which is an improved version of the midrange in the MPro. It is just a very well balanced, resolving, yet musical loudspeaker & is a great "allrounder" which handles all genres of music with equal aplomb. The best amps for synergy i've found are Vitus Signature series, Soulution, Boulder 1100 series, CH Precision, Audia Flight Strumento series & large tube mono's such as CAT, CJ & VAC. Pass Labs is another popular choice.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Well, I have owned them. They did not sound neither boomy nor incoherent. They have an extended bass and can sound bass heavy in small rooms using inadequate amplifiers. A good audiophile friend has them with the D'Agostino Momentum monos and preamplfier and it is really a great sounding system - scale, energy, coherency - it has it all. IMHO no way the Sasha 2 is superior, unless we do not have the equipment to power the Alexia's, that are more challenging. Surely I prefer the Alexia II's ...

Reactions: tima

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well, I have owned them. They did not sound neither boomy nor incoherent. They have an extended bass and can sound bass heavy in small rooms using inadequate amplifiers. A good audiophile friend has them with the D'Agostino Momentum monos and preamplfier and it is really a great sounding system - scale, energy, coherency - it has it all. IMHO no way the Sasha 2 is superior, unless we do not have the equipment to power the Alexia's, that are more challenging. Surely I prefer the Alexia II's ...

Is he breaking in the Dags for you

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing