KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

They are a bit more "refined" than Zu, but not that dissimilar to Devore.

Reactions: bazelio
They are more accurate than Zu's. But my experience with them tells me they aren't Keith's cup of tea in the midrange.

They are more accurate than Zu's. But my experience with them tells me they aren't Keith's cup of tea in the midrange.

Too lean?

Too lean?

Partly. It's a familiar sound to me because I use to listen with a pair of speakers with the father of that midrange. I'm fairly sensitive to the sound. And of all the speakers I've heard that Keith likes or makes comments on, none are similar.

Reactions: Al M.
Well gents, I promised an update after hearing a local audiophile's Avantgarde Duo Mezzos a few weeks after Duo XDs.

The Mezzos were in a medium-sized living room with tube traps in the corners. This was an analog-only session with both Clearaudio/Anna and Galibier/GFS combos through a Zesto top of the line phono into a CJ GAT preamp and then ultimately through Nagra VPAs with Psvane 845s.

The Mezzos are quite a step up from the regular duo in cabinetry - its a large speaker and takes up some good real estate. The owner had them 3-4' out from the back wall, so not carved into a corner like some AG setups. The AG hallmark sound was easy to discern - big, open, dynamic with that very live soundstage feeling. In fact, most of my impressions from my XD demo were still present despite very different rooms. The Mezzos definitely propel sound in a visceral manner and don't quite image or disappear as well as other topologies as I've stated before. Its really fun, exciting sound. What I did notice different from my last demo was that the bass notes were more natural sounding on the Mezzos - i quipped with the owner that they made the regular XD sound a bit "subwooferish" in timbre. Interestingly enough, while the notes were more natural I'd still give the edge to the XD in overall integration.

The AGs displayed good tone on my Everything but the Girl cuts - in fact, that was arguably the best demo I had from the session. We also switched between analog rigs and I have to give the edge to the CC/Anna as it had better flow and was more even top to bottom. I did find the Nagra 300b amp on the XDs a bit more rounded and convincing than the 845s - not that it was a huge difference, but just that last bit of synergy.

Overall, this was a fun visit and one where I could go home later and hear the pros and cons of horns vs. DeVores. I'm still formulating my thoughts, but on first blush horns give an astonishing quickness and soundstage that brings the performers to you (borrowing a phrase that my friend who was there with me said afterward). Also however, I've noticed in both demos thus far that I haven't been able to fully relax. Whether that is the jump factor, dynamic swings, or raw energy I do not know. But I am cognizant of this feeling.

Well gents, I promised an update after hearing a local audiophile's Avantgarde Duo Mezzos a few weeks after Duo XDs.

The Mezzos were in a medium-sized living room with tube traps in the corners. This was an analog-only session with both Clearaudio/Anna and Galibier/GFS combos through a Zesto top of the line phono into a CJ GAT preamp and then ultimately through Nagra VPAs with Psvane 845s.

The Mezzos are quite a step up from the regular duo in cabinetry - its a large speaker and takes up some good real estate. The owner had them 3-4' out from the back wall, so not carved into a corner like some AG setups. The AG hallmark sound was easy to discern - big, open, dynamic with that very live soundstage feeling. In fact, most of my impressions from my XD demo were still present despite very different rooms. The Mezzos definitely propel sound in a visceral manner and don't quite image or disappear as well as other topologies as I've stated before. Its really fun, exciting sound. What I did notice different from my last demo was that the bass notes were more natural sounding on the Mezzos - i quipped with the owner that they made the regular XD sound a bit "subwooferish" in timbre. Interestingly enough, while the notes were more natural I'd still give the edge to the XD in overall integration.

The AGs displayed good tone on my Everything but the Girl cuts - in fact, that was arguably the best demo I had from the session. We also switched between analog rigs and I have to give the edge to the CC/Anna as it had better flow and was more even top to bottom. I did find the Nagra 300b amp on the XDs a bit more rounded and convincing than the 845s - not that it was a huge difference, but just that last bit of synergy.

Overall, this was a fun visit and one where I could go home later and hear the pros and cons of horns vs. DeVores. I'm still formulating my thoughts, but on first blush horns give an astonishing quickness and soundstage that brings the performers to you (borrowing a phrase that my friend who was there with me said afterward). Also however, I've noticed in both demos thus far that I haven't been able to fully relax. Whether that is the jump factor, dynamic swings, or raw energy I do not know. But I am cognizant of this feeling.

Nice report, Keith. I also haven’t been able to relax in front of the various AGs either so get your perspective.

Bill, I dont think Keith is talking about the same things you and Ked have misgivings about Duos, eg cupping, horn shout, subs integration.

I'm getting the impression the dynamics and jump factor of the Duos have left him a bit edge of his seat.

The best horns, and even some of the least best ones, are never an easy ride. You have to strap in and buckle up.

Bill, I dont think Keith is talking about the same things you and Ked have misgivings about Duos, eg cupping, horn shout, subs integration.

I'm getting the impression the dynamics and jump factor of the Duos have left him a bit edge of his seat.

The best horns, and even some of the least best ones, are never an easy ride. You have to strap in and buckle up.

I am not taking about cupping etc. Just a pure observation of do I relax and connect with the music (or not).

Reactions: PeterA
My reference for horns is the Western Electric system of Munich a few years back - I could sit at total ease ad infinitum bathing in incredible music. Hard to leave.

I have had an offline discussion with him.

Btw good horns are an easy ride. You can sit 8 hours in front of them without any fatigue

I have had an offline discussion with him.

Btw good horns are an easy ride. You can sit 8 hours in front of them without any fatigue

Yeah that is certainly has underpinned my objectives. “Flow” is literally make or break for me.

Reactions: the sound of Tao
Bill, sound from the Denman Exponential Horn literally flowed into the space we heard them in. Nothing I've heard otherwise comes even vaguely close.

Great report. I cannot relax in front of my speakers either. Exactly the way I want it! I look for excitement, not at all relaxation. But I guess that's not everybody's cup of tea.

Yeah that is certainly has underpinned my objectives. “Flow” is literally make or break for me.

I'm still puzzled by what exactly "flow" is supposed to mean (and no, I'm not trolling).

Reactions: Ron Resnick
The opposite of resistance.

Most (all?) box spkrs literally sound restrained compared to horns.

Reactions: bonzo75
One day I'd like to hear horns that sound like this.
You never will do. The Denmans were as an out of body experience as I'll ever have. No hyperbole.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing