KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Small update:

I officially said "no" to a pair of trade-in Avantgarde Duo XDs today - while I was told they would work in my current room (although they would aesthetically eat up the entire thing), I didn't have the stones to try them as 1) I'd have to set them up in my room - again in 6 months when I move - and likely have to pay someone to do it 2) selling AGs if I don't prefer them seems daunting; and 3) I prefer Cessaro design (although the price differential is *considerably* higher than the trade-in XDs). New Duo XDs have crossed the $50k threshold in the US fyi.

Also, I received my Ref75SE back from service and installed new KT150s as one went out - man, i can't believe how much more dynamic the system is now. Whether the tubes had dwindled and been less effective or Kevin Deal's cryo magic was working I can not say...but I really have wonderful, dynamic sound with the Devores. This will provide a great reference for my Hailey 2 demo in February, with Cessaro coming in April.

Stay tuned...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Small update:

I officially said "no" to a pair of trade-in Avantgarde Duo XDs today - while I was told they would work in my current room (although they would aesthetically eat up the entire thing), I didn't have the stones to try them as 1) I'd have to set them up in my room - again in 6 months when I move - and likely have to pay someone to do it 2) selling AGs if I don't prefer them seems daunting; and 3) I prefer Cessaro design (although the price differential is *considerably* higher than the trade-in XDs). New Duo XDs have crossed the $50k threshold in the US fyi.

Also, I received my Ref75SE back from service and installed new KT150s as one went out - man, i can't believe how much more dynamic the system is now. Whether the tubes had dwindled and been less effective or Kevin Deal's cryo magic was working I can not say...but I really have wonderful, dynamic sound with the Devores. This will provide a great reference for my Hailey 2 demo in February, with Cessaro coming in April.

Stay tuned...
So, this will drag on through most of 2019? Sheesh I thought we were going to have a conclusion soon...:rolleyes:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Small update:

Stay tuned...
You missed a good opportunity, IMO...especially if the price was nice.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
So, this will drag on through most of 2019? Sheesh I thought we were going to have a conclusion soon...:rolleyes:

Horns don't grow on trees in the States like the EU. I have to travel to NYC to even hear Cessaro

And I'm not going to buy a speaker blind. Especially one that has a limited resale audience. Sorry. There will always be another "deal" in high end audio.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I think Bonzo has horns growing out of his forehead.

751A4ED1-80E2-4426-8D40-0C9CF4D2C598.jpeg

:p

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, par for the course w companies like Cessaro. The Liszt that I hankered after once went from £80k to £120k in 3 short years.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And Zu. Sean is doing a lot to shoehorn an awful lot into his flagship Experiences, whilst keeping the price south of $30k. Companies like Devore and Zu, and a few others, should be commended for real world economics.

Reactions: Rob181

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
And Zu. Sean is doing a lot to shoehorn an awful lot into his flagship Experiences, whilst keeping the price south of $30k. Companies like Devore and Zu, and a few others, should be commended for real world economics.

Agree - yes they should - except those Devore $80K Orangutans - plus those companies who build gear that can be upgraded - Dartzeel for example.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Update on a few smaller brands mentioned in this brand:

1. Voxativ - I emailed the local distributor who basically blew me off about a demo. He said the 9.87 system was in the box, not setup.
2. Verity - concerned about their pricing for essentially a wood speaker, but I reached out to the distributor who never returned email

It's really amazing when audiophiles willing to spend this kind of money in this hobby can't even get a demo.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Maybe you can still demo the voxativ, it will sound like a box speaker

Reactions: KeithR

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Update on a few smaller brands mentioned in this brand:

1. Voxativ - I emailed the local distributor who basically blew me off about a demo. He said the 9.87 system was in the box, not setup.
2. Verity - concerned about their pricing for essentially a wood speaker, but I reached out to the distributor who never returned email

It's really amazing when audiophiles willing to spend this kind of money in this hobby can't even get a demo.

You should email Voxativ and let them know your experience. They would probably like to know.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That's a joke, Peter. He's saying if you listen to them in the box, it'll have a box speaker sound.

Ok, perhaps I should ask what is the "sound" of a box speaker? I have recently heard cone speakers in box cabinets that have attributes that some attribute to electrostatics or horns in terms of speed, dynamics, effortlessness, and lack of cabinet colorations.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think that it's something some people say that like horns and OB or anything but standard box speakers. It's obviously not true that all speakers that have a box sound the same. But the joke wouldn't work very good unless you took the position a little bit that there is a "box" sound. Now, when it comes to lots of poorly done speakers they often do sound as if the music originates from within a box, so perhaps that is the idea if one were to really address a serious comment.

Any which way, it seems like I've heard "box sound" mentioned enough times that I see the joke of leaving the speakers in their shipping boxes, and getting a "box" sound - which would either be crate/cardboard.

Reactions: bonzo75

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Sorry for the break in the action, but January has been tight with other obligations including an amp that had to go into service. I will revisit both the Rockport and YG in the next month and pick a dynamic driver winner. On the former, the dealer assures me the Vitus is the right amp and is going to re-position the speakers for better dynamics and shove. On the latter, I will hear the Hailey 2 which is expected to be delivered in February (I also might ask @asiufy to hook up the Sonja 2 b2b).

In addition, I have started to think about skipping the "middle" range of each line and waiting for a demo piece of the previous top line speaker, but that's just chatter at this moment as I don't have a new room yet. For instance, @Ron Resnick believes an Altair, Sonja, or Alpha is a much better idea, even if a generation old, than a Avior, Hailey, or Wagner. There may be some credence to this theory that I will get to explore. Although at least in Rockport-land, I know several people who think the lowly Atria is the most coherent and perhaps best sounding speaker in the line - and as mentioned in my initial review- the dealer's favorite for normal rooms.

I also confirmed the US Cessaro importer will have the Wagner 2 and Listz for demo during my April trip to NYC. The Wagner 2 uses a countertop- style cabinet vs the prior birch ply. That said, @bonzo75 recent comments on the Cessaro have soured my outlook a bit - as soundstage is one of my top criteria for a speaker and apparently this is not the Wagner's strength.

So by the end of spring, I should have a path formulated - even if its staying put with my Gibbon Xs which I can say is not an improbability.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Sorry for the break in the action, but January has been tight with other obligations including an amp that had to go into service. I will revisit both the Rockport and YG in the next month and pick a dynamic driver winner. On the former, the dealer assures me the Vitus is the right amp and is going to re-position the speakers for better dynamics and shove. On the latter, I will hear the Hailey 2 which is expected to be delivered in February (I also might ask @asiufy to hook up the Sonja 2 b2b).

In addition, I have started to think about skipping the "middle" range of each line and waiting for a demo piece of the previous top line speaker, but that's just chatter at this moment as I don't have a new room yet. For instance, @Ron Resnick believes an Altair, Sonja, or Alpha is a much better idea, even if a generation old, than a Avior, Hailey, or Wagner. There may be some credence to this theory that I will get to explore. Although at least in Rockport-land, I know several people who think the lowly Atria is the most coherent and perhaps best sounding speaker in the line - and as mentioned in my initial review- the dealer's favorite for normal rooms.

I also confirmed the US Cessaro importer will have the Wagner 2 and Listz for demo during my April trip to NYC. The Wagner 2 uses a countertop- style cabinet vs the prior birch ply. That said, @bonzo75 recent comments on the Cessaro have soured my outlook a bit - as soundstage is one of my top criteria for a speaker and apparently this is not the Wagner's strength.

So by the end of spring, I should have a path formulated - even if its staying put with my Gibbon Xs which I can say is not an improbability.
Given that you are not so taken with O/96s and Ked was maybe don’t read too much into his dislike for the Cessaros. I haven’t heard them but designwise they are similar to my Odeons, which have been universally praised so far by all who have heard them at my place. They might not be what you want but I wouldn’t prejude them. They are very different than what you have demoed so far and have different strengths and weakness.

Another speaker to consider is the Avantgarde Zero half active . These are better than the Unos, IMO, and cheaper. Bass is active and dsp controllable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing