KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
DaveC,

Just curious: where have you heard YGs? What was the partnering gear?

thank you,
Alex

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
Now these REALLY intrigue me - I love how quality ribbon speakers reproduce the human voice but I gotta tell ya - I want to listen to a pair of these.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
As a matter of interest - what speaker amp combination are you running

I have a speaker I designed based on a 300 Hz LeCleach horn w/ a SET amp I also built. Fostex T500 tweeter and Audio Elegance TD15H+ woofer, mid driver is my own unit, via Omega.

Here's pics and description of my preamp and amp if you're interested:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/set-amp-owners-thread.27070/page-8#post-547681

I also have Pioneer S-1EX speakers, which use the same drivers as the TAD Evolution Tower speakers in a more economical cabinet. There are a few other small differences, but not worth typing out. They are driven with an Odyssey amp with every available upgrade. I wish I could afford TAD Ref series, maybe one day... at least I have the same tweeter. :)

I also have Omega single driver speakers, some old JBLs, NC500 NCore amps, Crown amps, high-res 2x8 dsp system, and more, but are rarely used.

I usually listen to my speakers and SET amp but the Pioneers provide a nice alternative... they are picky and revealing speakers, just lacking in bass quality and extension vs my own speakers. I may try to run the TAD coax drivers with my 15" AE woofers one day using my dsp, lol... :)

DaveC,

Just curious: where have you heard YGs? What was the partnering gear?

thank you,
Alex

Most recently RMAF 2017 w MSB.

The TAD R1 is 2x the price AFAIK, so not a fair comparison... but with YG I'd want the most recent model, TAD R1 has been out longer as the same model (again, AFAIK) so may be available used more readily. The R1s have far more woofer surface area, something lacking on the YGs imo. R1s will make you jump like a big PA system at an electronica concert, they can play loud and witha lot of impact... I'm not sure YG will until you get to larger, $$$ models but maybe I'm wrong, I have not had the opportunity to listen to YG at high spls.

Most cone n dome speakers these days are very good I think, but YG is a step above most from what I've heard. I just wish they'd give you more woofer.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, after having the Sonja XV for a while, I can't blame you for wanting more woofer in your YGs :)
But frankly, and without going into a purely subjective debate, the YGs and the TADs are like apples and oranges, from a construction and design goal perspective. Wood box, ported design, beryllium tweeter on the TADs... Absolutely nothing to do with YGs, with sealed cabinet, aluminum, unique hybrid soft dome with aluminum frame tweeter, etc.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I heard the S5 Mk2 with CJ monos at Myles Astor's place in NYC. Very convincing presentation.

I would think the new M2 might be a very interesting option around $50K. Can't believe I said that because that is a heck of a lot of money.
Myles system is well tuned. The latest Gat Series II and 40th Anniversary mono's are crackers by all reports. And Myles analogue analogue front end would really showcase what the S5 Mk2's can do. My only issue with tube amps is the heat and maintenance. Hence I'm a happy camper with Vitus Class A power :).

The heir apparent to the Q3 is the M3, but the M2 uses next generation drivers and has a much more advanced monocoque cabinet drawn from the M6. Though not cheap @$63.6k with MPod 3-pt stands! In a small or small-medium size room, the M2 is the new King of the hill in the Magico stable! In a medium size room, I'd take the S5 Mk2's + SPods.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I heard the S5 Mk2 with CJ monos at Myles Astor's place in NYC. Very convincing presentation.

I would think the new M2 might be a very interesting option around $50K. Can't believe I said that because that is a heck of a lot of money.

Thanks Peter, but I'm not a Magico fan. Have heard them numerous times.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Thanks Peter, but I'm not a Magico fan. Have heard them numerous times.
It's interesting how different ears and personal preferences work. I hear YG Hailey 1.2's and am impressed, but not moved. But when I hear my speakers with Vitus Class A power, I'm emotionally connected. Go figure...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It's interesting how different ears and personal preferences work. I hear YG Hailey 1.2's and am impressed, but not moved. But when I hear my speakers with Vitus Class A power, I'm emotionally connected. Go figure...

Have you heard Hailey outside show conditions, well set up. Many Hailey demos show them as bright or sterile on show conditions, which is quite different when heard in proper conditions. I ask only because many reports on this thread of YG are from shows

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
As Keith said ... Horses for courses. I'm with you on Vitus as I have found their amps to be fantastic. I'm also with Keith on Magico in general and SET bass, having heard both on many occasions.

@asiufy - your listening room looks fantastic.

Reactions: Pallen and asiufy

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Well, I think you can do better powering your Magicos - my Rockport demo on the big boy Vitus SS-103 confirmed that. I wouldn't consider Vitus on YG either. You should consider trying something like a Luxman m900u or if you afford it, Dagostino. Neither is cold, harsh SS sound.

YG's new hybrid tweeter is revelatory - I shoudl have discussed it more in my review. It is excellent with no attention to itself at all.

Reactions: bonzo75 and asiufy

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Well, I think you can do better powering your Magicos - my Rockport demo on the big boy Vitus SS-103 confirmed that. I wouldn't consider Vitus on YG either. You should consider trying something like a Luxman m900u or if you afford it, Dagostino. Neither is cold, harsh SS sound.

YG's new hybrid tweeter is revelatory - I shoudl have discussed it more in my review. It is excellent with no attention to itself at all.

What about high-power Pass or Gryphon amplifiers for loudspeakers that require heavy-lifting amplifiers?

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I a-b compared the Luxman M900u/C900u/D-06u vs Accuphase A70/C2850 and Pass XA-250.8/XP20 combo's. Going back to my listening notes, the Lux amps came out just ahead of the Pass combo. But the Accuphase amps won the shootout. That said, I still prefer Vitus which sounds more organic to my ears. Re: your Rockport demo, I can't comment on those speakers as I haven't heard them. But anecdotally Rockport seems to have better synergy with Absolare and Gryphon. Vitus OTOH has excellent synergy with Magico and Marten.

Yes the latest YG tweeters are very good. Magico's diamond-coated Beryllium tweeter is also very good & is quite a bit better than the previous generation. I'd call that a tie. However I (personally) prefer the sound of Magico's Graphene-reinforced carbon Nano-tec midrange & bass drivers vs YG's aluminium cones which seem to offer more natural tone and textures I feel is missing from the YG's. To each their own.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Have you heard Hailey outside show conditions, well set up. Many Hailey demos show them as bright or sterile on show conditions, which is quite different when heard in proper conditions. I ask only because many reports on this thread of YG are from shows
Yes i've heard the Hailey 1.2's in about 3 different setups in my Dealer's treated listening room (which i'm very familiar with having had a lot of ear time there). The Haileys are very good & I strongly considered them before pulling the trigger on the S5 Mk2's. They sound very coherent, transparent, dynamic & are good stagers, and yes the new tweeter is very good. It came down to a couple of things which the Magico's did better in synergy with Vitus & Jorma as I mentioned earlier. That's about it.

Reactions: KeithR and bonzo75

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Unless you heard a Sonja 2.x or Sonja XV, you haven't heard the new tweeter, as the Hailey 1.2 doesn't have it.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Unless you heard a Sonja 2.x or Sonja XV, you haven't heard the new tweeter, as the Hailey 1.2 doesn't have it.
The Sonja 2.2 and Sonja XV are in a different price category, so are not comparable. To my knowledge, the Hailey 1.2's tweeter is atleast one generation ahead of earlier models like the Kipod. The earlier tweeters were bright and needed a more laid back, tube-like amp to tame them. The latest tweeter is very good as Keith said.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
@KeithR @asiufy can you describe the new billet dome tweeter ( in latest Sonja) compared to the soft dome one in the hailey 1.2 and Carmel 2?

Is the treble resolution increased ?

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
@KeithR have you considered KEF speakers ? In specific perhaps the Blade 2 ? That’s a lot of speaker for the money.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
ok guys, this isn't going to turn into a Magico vs YG thread - let's move on.

@DaveC I find Tads bright
I also find the TADs bright but it could have also been the TAD electronics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing