Keith's Dream Amplifier Thread

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
No one wants Ampzilla to be good... I don't see why. They make a lot of sense.
I heard the Ampzillas at Keith's today. They are doing just fine with the YG, and vice-versa. I'm guessing Bongiorno was too blue collar for WBF, and the relatively prosaic price is too embarrassing to the many much more costly amps they outclass. -Phil

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I heard the Ampzillas at Keith's today. They are doing just fine with the YG, and vice-versa. I'm guessing Bongiorno was too blue collar for WBF, and the relatively prosaic price is too embarrassing to the many much more costly amps they outclass. -Phil

Ya, seems possible. People may be inexperienced with them, too.

Reactions: Bobvin and Hi-FiGuy

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I would be very fascinated to compare in Keith's system the Ampzillas directly to some of our members' favorite high-dollar solid-state amps. I would not be surprised if the results are somewhat different than what people would expect.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I would be very fascinated to compare in Keith's system the Ampzillas directly to some of our members' favorite high-dollar solid-state amps. I would not be surprised if the results are somewhat different than what people would expect.
I'd even like to make it a level playing field and compare members' favorite high-dollar, high-output amps to the Ampzillas. High dollar, lower output amps may as well just stay home from what we've learned about the YGs already.

At their price to output ratio, the Ampzillas are going to need to be outclassed by a whole lot for these high dollar amps to make any sense. Most 500W+ amps get up there in price quickly. The Class AB Pass X350 might be the closest in terms of price sensibility? As much as I like the Plinius 1kW monoblocks, I would doubt seriously they could make sense at, what, 5x the Ampzilla price?

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I agree and have asked a question along these lines and started another thread to not derail this one, but its clearly not as much fun to talk about a pair of amps and speakers that cost less than one channel of a pair of Nordost Oden2 speaker cables. I even sent out some PM's about the subject with no response. My passion is the same as the next guy/gal.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I'd even like to make it a level playing field and compare members' favorite high-dollar, high-output amps to the Ampzillas. High dollar, lower output amps may as well just stay home from what we've learned about the YGs already.

. . .

I was intending to imply only high output, so it would be an apples to apples power output comparison with the Ampzillas.

Reactions: bazelio

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Spectral I am not sure. Spectral may be speculation, but I suspect I would not like Spectral on YG, as I personally have never cared for Spectral amps on any loudspeaker. I used to hear MartinLogan and Wilson, I think, driven by Spectral.

Ha, Yes at one show (RMAF if I recall) Spectral were teamed with Magico-I sat for the first mornings session with full room
--the Music started and--
I have never seen a room clear so fast:rolleyes:
BruceD

I have a good friend with very good ears and he swears by his Spectral gear :oops:
I just have never ever heard Spectral sound convincing :eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

You gotta put the price up regardless otherwise many audiofiles think its crap . :)
(And a lot of mags are complicent in this solid state game;) )

Ps. there are differences , but incremental in my view and worth the prices ?? .... highly debatable

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have a good friend with very good ears and he swears by his Spectral gear :oops:
I just have never ever heard Spectral sound convincing :eek::rolleyes:
Does this mean you have very bad ears...:eek:;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Reactions: morricab

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Does this mean you have very bad ears...:eek:;)
My ears are fine ;)
I just have never heard Spectral sound good so I wonder what his set up does differently from the many really bad ones I heard :rolleyes:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
My ears are quite OK ;)
I just have never heard Spectral sound good so I wonder what his set up does differently from the many really bad ones I heard :rolleyes:

Since we both know who we are discussing pretty well, I would say that I agree with you regarding Spectral (but you knew this already :)). However, I did hear them sound not bad once and it was the only time I thought a Magico demo was pretty good. Of course this was an older Magico with wooden cabinet and it was altogether better than I had have heard before or since from that speaker brand. Since the setup in question is to my understanding almost all DIY, perhaps he has tailored the response to work better with the electronics? Have you heard the system in question? I have not...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My ears are fine ;)
My one and only experience of Spectral was their monos w Kondo pre on US-modded Divas. The absolute most schizo audio experience I've ever had the pleasure/displeasure to experience (although poorly set Divas xover settings seems to be partially the root of the issue in that room).

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Since the setup in question is to my understanding almost all DIY, perhaps he has tailored the response to work better with the electronics?
Must be.

Have you heard the system in question? I have not...

No, I haven't. Has anyone? :rolleyes:
This must be THE unicorn Spectral system that sounds very good :D
But apart from the owner himself, no one seems to have heard this system. At least no one I know or have heard of... :p

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Must be.

No, I haven't. Has anyone? :rolleyes:
This must be THE unicorn Spectral system that sounds very good :D
But apart from the owner himself, no one seems to have heard this system. At least no one I know or have heard of... :p
Maybe we should invite ourselves over for a 'non-judgemental' listening session ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Maybe we should invite ourselves over for a 'non-judgemental' listening session ;)
I tried that.
Never panned out, though... :D

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
... I’ve also been offered a chance to hear the Pass X350.5.
By all reports, one of the high powered XA.8 series would probably mate better with YG, admittedly at a price.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Ron,

What would you expect to learn or prove with such comparison? That a particular 84 db/W difficult impedance speaker is not an ideal load for some of our members' favorite high-dollar solid-state amps?

I respect and praise equipment having an high value sound quality for money - I owned Sumo electronics long ago, but do not expect miracles.

To be fair, I stay with tubes mainly because top solid state is too expensive for me. Used tubes are a better investment in my system. If it was not for the price I would probably listen to Ked and get the D'Agostino mono blocks and HD preamplifier. :)

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing