Koda K10 preamp in my home for evaluation

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
The problem at RMAF was that it was nigh impossible to hear draw any meaningful conclusions about the sound of the Koda at RMAF with that hodgepodge collection of electronics (Absolare/Allnic/Koda). Not to mention that the sound was still lacking even after they supposedly changed things around. There was something very wrong with Steve Dobbins room this year.

I hear you Myles, with respect to being able to disentangle what piece contributes (or detracts) to what degree. I felt the same way about the Absolare/Rockport/Allnic room. I wanted to like it but didn't feel moved by the system in that room. The one thing I did come away with was the vinyl Frank was playing and an interest in the Jazzhaus label of "lost tapes" from Germany. Had not heard these before and I ordered all I could find from this label on Amazon after RMAF and they are fantastic. Zoot Sims especially.

I'm confused though about your comment as the Koda pre was in the Audioarts room. ???

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The problem at RMAF was that it was nigh impossible to hear draw any meaningful conclusions about the sound of the Koda at RMAF with that hodgepodge collection of electronics (Absolare/Allnic/Koda). Not to mention that the sound was still lacking even after they supposedly changed things around. There was something very wrong with Steve Dobbins room this year.

I don't think there was any Koda gear in Steve's room. It was all Absolare except for the Allnic H3000 phono stage. I don't think that the Rockport's were a good match for that room. They need a bigger space.

I remember the Koda pre being in the Zellaton room though. The sound was pretty good in the Zellaton room but the guy running the room was off putting to put it nicely.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I don't think there was any Koda gear in Steve's room. It was all Absolare except for the Allnic H3000 phono stage. I don't think that the Rockport's were a good match for that room. They need a bigger space.

I remember the Koda pre being in the Zellaton room though. The sound was pretty good in the Zellaton room but the guy running the room was off putting to put it nicely.

Yes you're right but that was a mix of CH Precision/Trinity/Koda. Too many variables.

sickophant

May 24, 2013
Warszawa, Polsce; BrizVegas, Oz
Thanks Sickophant.
I'll check out the link you suggested. I am pretty happy with the Nagra Jazz pre at the moment but am in serious admiration for the k10.
The k70 i have only seen in pics and it is intriguing.
didn't know there was a newer Koda pre.
chris

Yep, the K-15 has been a rumour for only a little while, though hardly a rumour as there had been several orders for it already from Robert Koda 'base' fans as mentioned above, but it was recently officially announced on the Robert Koda website.

It promises to be quite a unit.

Best of luck.

Dave.

Last edited:

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Yes you're right but that was a mix of CH Precision/Trinity/Koda. Too many variables.

Yes, many variables in every presented system at any show or dealer, including the room's acoustics. Thus, the need to try out gear in one's own room/system right? The fun for me of the shows is to see what combination of delicious "ingredients" the exhibitors put together and present. To continue the metaphor, some of the combinations are voraciously consumed and others are less palatable. We all have differing "tastes".

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes, many variables in every presented system at any show or dealer, including the room's acoustics. Thus, the need to try out gear in one's own room/system right? The fun for me of the shows is to see what combination of delicious "ingredients" the exhibitors put together and present. To continue the metaphor, some of the combinations are voraciously consumed and others are less palatable. We all have differing "tastes".

I think that could be a thread upon itself: What do you expect to get out of an audio show? :)

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013

The confusion is probably that the Kodo The Beat TT was in Steve 's room, not the Robert Koda preamp.
Koda k10(?) was in the CH Precision room. I had a great time in that room and returned several times over the weekend. The CH rep, think his name was Loris? and Gideon, from Audioarts, had some great music playing each time and not blasting as some other rooms did. No sales BS as well.

Actually, one of the things i appreciated about my overall experience this year was how laid-back and positive the reps were, with the possible exception of the Wilson VTL room where i wasn't feeling welcome and didn't bother to return. Even the hotel staff were smiling this year :)
The grumpiest folks i met seemed to be attendees! especially those waiting in line for their registration/badges :)
Maybe next year they'll join in Steve's (Prana) morning yoga class to relax a little ;)
Chris

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Any possible K-10 V K-15 comparison , anybody ?

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
next month hopefully the k15 will be here at my house and I will be able to compare it with my k10. Tomorrow the troy flagship kits will be here with me, I will see the comments from audioexotics are true or not, at least in my system.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
AudioArts has both the K10 and K15 in NYC...apparently the K15 is just better....(which I love my K10 so much is just hard to imagine "more")

Sonrock, I can't wait to read about your comments ! What troy flagship? Tripoint? If so...PLEASE comment ;-)

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
yes sir, for all the grounding boxes, conditioner and cables. I've never tried things like this so should be fun and interesting. the dealer is also selling the koda and we consider each other friend now, so I have the privilege to be one of the first if not first to try all his new stuff at home. I'll let you know how things going after tomorrow.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Sonrock .. exciting stuff , do keep in mind that the Troy takes it's time to stabilize and work it's full magic . Keep us posted on both fronts , K15 included . Look forward with interest on your findings .

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
yes sir, for all the grounding boxes, conditioner and cables. I've never tried things like this so should be fun and interesting. the dealer is also selling the koda and we consider each other friend now, so I have the privilege to be one of the first if not first to try all his new stuff at home. I'll let you know how things going after tomorrow.

Great!!! Big fan of Tripoint here.

sickophant

May 24, 2013
Warszawa, Polsce; BrizVegas, Oz
AudioArts has both the K10 and K15 in NYC...apparently the K15 is just better....(which I love my K10 so much is just hard to imagine "more")

Sonrock, I can't wait to read about your comments ! What troy flagship? Tripoint? If so...PLEASE comment ;-)

Yeah. Mr. Jfrech, don't do it to yourself.

Anyone seen the ruby?

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Sirs

As one of you said the tripoint and especially the troy signature takes time to stabilize and work at its best, so with couple of hours in my house, I think I have not got its best performance, however things that I've experienced yesterday were very positive. Although it is not reported by others, but with my limited time with it, here is my thought:

1. The Troy signature came to my house yesterday is quite brand new and less than 30h of usage at the dealer's system, so I am the first to try outside the shop. Although according to the manual, it states that the troy signature should sound right out of the box, but it should take 30 days to fully burned in and perform at its best.

2. First impression, the box is not really big and very heavy, but beautiful and eyes catching. But the Thor reference power cable is absolutely heavy and big. The feet are also very well built, solid and beautiful, standing on small metal cups which are in the same gold color.

We used few CDs yesterday with few tracks to test, at first we played them without the troy signature, then we connect the cables to my digital and pre-amp, turned the troy on and played the tracks again.

It is interesting that my dealer has only 4 cables to use with, 2 cables go to the koda k10, 1 go to the dac and 1 go to the transport (my transport has 2 grounding pins also). There was no more cables for my monoblocks or so, but I think this is quite enough for the first time.

I'm very confident about my system, according to my ears and taste, it sounds great with almost any kind of music throw in. But I'm open mind and experienced many times how a piece of equipment or a cable can change the overall performance of my system, so very interested in the Tripoint.

At the very first minute, when we connected the Troy to my system, also it is the very first time turned on , we did not warm it up whatsoever before connecting it to the system, I didnt hear any differences. But after awhile, I suddenly heard the vocal of Sara Cornor sounds more real, purer and slowly the overall performance became smoother. I got the goosebumps by that time, I thought my brain and ears were not functioning properly anymore.

The background become quieter which gives you more details and boost up the midrange. Both me and the dealer agreed that Troy did in my system is for the midrange improvement with clarity, purity and realistic, especially for the vocal which is very very organic and emotional.

That was the very first minutes we experienced that changes. So we decided to let the music played for around 15-30 minutes to warm the Troy up while talking then coming back later to see if we can get any more changes.

3. We switched to different CDs, and according to the dealer, he felt that one track sounds clearly better with better resolution, the layers between artists and instruments become wider and clearer to spot on. For me, with somes I am very familiar with, I heard the Troy cut off all the hardness of the HF while cut off the "tails" of LF which makes the bass a bit tighter.

Later on, when we came back to Sara Cornor, we heard the Troy added more bass to the overall sound. It doesnt mean the system becomes too much bass, but it means it gives you the feeling of warm and overwhelm by the low notes which are cut off very fast and tight. Very well properly controlled I have to say.

4. The experiences we've got are for standard recordings. For bad recordings or superb recordings (very very high res or definition), it was hardly for us to recognise the differences the Troy brings into the system. The dealer offered me to do A-B comparison with those CDs but it was quite late and I felt enough, so I kindly asked him for the next time, when hes coming back with the K15 and probably more cables to connect the whole system.

5. Conclusion

It is not night and day differences like some reported, probably I have not had enough time with the Troy, we did not have enough cables and also many other factors like equipment, room matching etc. So my point is Tripoint Troy Signature added positive results to my system. It gives me better background, lower noise floor, boost up the vocal/midrange, the bass is faster and a bit tighter, the overall performance is smoother.

If you have the money and wana try it at home to experiment yourself about my words then give it a shot. Probably after 30 days of burning in, the real magic will occur - similar to the Koda k10 when it sounds better and better after time.

I'll report how the K15 sounds compared to my K10 which is now around 150h of burning in and sounds absolutely superb. Could any of you please confirm the RRP of the K15 in USA? Currency converter tells me it should be around $75k @_@

some pics I took yesterday from my ip4 camera, and I recorded some videos, 1 with very very high res recordings from stockfish with sacd files, 2 are normal/standard recordings.

IMG_1063.JPG IMG_1064.JPG IMG_1067.JPG IMG_1068.JPG IMG_1069.JPG

the video with high res recording

videos with standard recording

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
interesting on the Tripoint ! I'll listen to your samples tonight...

Pretty sure the K15 is about 65k in the USA. But I don't have the exact price....

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sonrock, fantastic that you're getting the early positives of grounding. In the Uk, Entreq Silver tellus is a more practical option than Tripoint Troy (have a thread devoted to it), and I can't go back to "un grounded". Prepare to lift your jaw off the floor for awhile yet! Two weeks seems to be the point where it all comes together.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
sonrock , thanks for the report . Look forward to hearing how the TROY , settles in further , I suspect the best is yet to come . 65k for the K-15 !! , makes the K-10 seem like good value ;)

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
There are very few units of k15 has been made and delivered so far. If the k15 is not far more superior to the k10, then all the k10 owners should be happy to keep the k10 4ever or until their budget allows them to try the k15. I'll write a proper review about the k15 when I have it here to listen.

Regarding the Troy, I'll let you know if next time the dealer brings it with the k15 here with more cables and it has been properly burned in. He has been experimenting with the Troy himself in his system, my system and probably some more to see how beneficial the troy will bring to hifi systems. I'll keep you Sirs posted!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing