Krell KBL vs. Krell KRC-HR

Mep,
I am glad you are enjoying my preference, my posts will now start including subliminal messages to move you towards a great tube preamplifier. :)

Do you know that the original KRC sounded like a solid state preamplifier and the HR modification made it sound more like a refined tube design? :eek:

Micro-I always appreciate your thoughts and insights-I think you know that. And no, I had no idea of the progression of the KRC series of preamps other than there was a series of KRC preamps. And what great tube preamp do you recommend that has a nice and low noise floor?

Micro-I always appreciate your thoughts and insights-I think you know that. And no, I had no idea of the progression of the KRC series of preamps other than there was a series of KRC preamps. And what great tube preamp do you recommend that has a nice and low noise floor?

How much do you want spend? My Lamm LL1 Signature is dead quiet

Steve-I don't have Lamm LL1 Signature money unfortunately. I know Micro is an ARC fan and he is probably leaning towards ARC gear, but I could be wrong. People that have REF 3s want Ref 5s. People that have REF 5s want REF 5SEs. People that have REF 5SEs want REF 10s. People that have REF 10s want REF 40s. People that have REF 40s will want the next great preamp that comes from ARC.

Mark

you would be very happy with an ARC Ref3 Mkll. I owned one and never had noise problems (although I did keep the LCD screen turned off while playing)

Steve-I would love to be able to hear one before I had to shell out the cash to buy one. The good thing with newer ARC gear is that if you buy it used, you can usually unload it for pretty damn close to what you paid for it. Still a hassle though.

I was joking. Although I would love to know you got a great tube preamplifier, my advice is that considering the Krell amplifier you should stick with the Krell KRC HR you own. The KRC-HR is an exceptional preamplifier, and synergy between the preamplifier and amplifier should weight more than my tube love! I really hope you enjoy it for long.

Unhappily I do not have experience with modern cables in Krell systems - I remember many people used the old Transparent Reference XL's, but it was mainly when they paired the Krell's with Wilson Audio's. Straigthwire Virtuoso was also considered a good match.

Mark, as you know, I think the KRC-HR is a better preamp overall and I have no skin in the game as I owned both and have heard them in several different systems. The KBL was a beast for sure, the low output impedance is a direct result of the output topology. It has many transistors in the output stage and was designed to drive long cables... no part was missing. The KRC also has a low output impedance but a very different topology than the KBL, the KRC was one of the first discrete differential designs with discrete phase splitters and phase combiners, overall a very sophisticated design. You could go single ended in and be balanced out and reverse which was cool in the day. The output still designed to drive long cables but the emphasis was the differential output stage. Dan designed this with all he had learned from the earlier designs, so theoretically there should be a sonic improvement, but of course this does not always occur. Power supply was definitely , more amp like in the KBL but the KRC supply is no slouch. Also there are continually new devices that become available and sometimes they can make it much easier to design what you want. I think you have narrowed it down the right way, not rushing to judgment and listening over long periods of time. You should enjoy it for quite some time, of course as mentioned by many there are other options out there. I think there is a beautiful synergy with a really good tube pre and your amp as an option. There are also some really good preamps on the market from many different companies ie.. Ayre, ARC, CJ, Pass, Mcintosh, etc, etc, etc ... to name a few. It is always hard to know when to stop looking for system improvements, it is a part of the quest for sure but there is always something you like better if you keep looking and want to spend the money~ Have Fun!

Bret-I appreciate your very thoughtful reply. You prior recommendation was the reason that I bought the KRC-HR. I have only tried one tube preamp with the KSA-250 and that was the ARC LS17. The LS17 didn't sound good with the ARC VS115 amp, and it didn't sound good with the KSA-250. The KBL was a much better sounding preamp with either amp which surprised me in the case of the VS115.

Bret-I appreciate your very thoughtful reply. You prior recommendation was the reason that I bought the KRC-HR. I have only tried one tube preamp with the KSA-250 and that was the ARC LS17. The LS17 didn't sound good with the ARC VS115 amp, and it didn't sound good with the KSA-250. The KBL was a much better sounding preamp with either amp which surprised me in the case of the VS115.

I am glad the recommendation worked out...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing