Krell Kps 25 sc problems

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 4, 2014
Denmark
looks like the problem was fixed , i will install the lid tomorrow and test , but the problem was there ( sensors and hub )
Your welcome ! ;)

Cognard

Nov 13, 2020
well , i shouted "hurrah" before testing the analog part .....variable output works fine , but fixed output does not work , plus when i touch the xlr fixed output when the rca`s are connected on the fixed output i hear some mass loss noise ......the fixed output is on a permanent mute condition .....any advice here ??

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 4, 2014
Denmark
Do you have light in the red output mute indicator lamp ? Try toggling between the different analog output setting. The trim setting for the CD output could be set at low. Go into the menu and check. The capacitors on those analog boards go bad every 10 years or so too :rolleyes:

Cognard

Nov 13, 2020
Both output mute controls are off, variable out with the cd and tape works perfect , preamp boards are ok .....caps were replaced ....just no output at the fixed out RCA’s, i have fixed volume signal from the tape out tho.

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 4, 2014
Denmark
Have you tried the balanced fixed outputs ? Are they working ? Alternatively try the tape out rca's, the machine could have been wired wrong from the factory, and has probably never been used on fixed outputs before. If balanced connectors are working, use a conversion plug, or make a conversion cable. 67055BDD-E242-4E78-BCA8-04662899D209.png

Last edited:

Cognard

Nov 13, 2020
when i connect the kps25 from the fixed output , to my nad pre at the "cd"input and i touch the xlr male pins , i hear some hum/mass noise on the speakers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I do not like the idea of shorting the inverting output phase in a XLR -RCA adapter - in cases of low output impedance it obliges the output circuit to supply a lot of current from a shared power supply. Some quality adapters connect the inverting phase (pin 3) to ground using a 10 kohm resistor. Surely this only applies to XLR output to RCA input.

When making a RCA output to XLR balanced input cable the resistor should have the value of the output impedance of the output stage.

Cognard

Nov 13, 2020
well , still dealing with the lack of signal at the fixed output ....in the mean time , i have found that the unit becomes crazy when cueing , ( back or forth) fixed the fork that moves the laser , now fwd cue is ok , but back cue is still crazy .....any clue of what could be happening ? thank you !!

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 4, 2014
Denmark
well , still dealing with the lack of signal at the fixed output ....in the mean time , i have found that the unit becomes crazy when cueing , ( back or forth) fixed the fork that moves the laser , now fwd cue is ok , but back cue is still crazy .....any clue of what could be happening ? thank you !!
Stop being so picky, be happy its playing again ! Who needs cuing back
anyway ? ;) It sounds like the laser is weak, or adjusted wrong.

Cognard

Nov 13, 2020
Stop being so picky, be happy its playing again ! Who needs cuing back
anyway ? ;) It sounds like the laser is weak, or adjusted wrong.
Laser is new !! I have bought 2 More NIB units !! Picky? That piece of hardware costed the same as a brand new Mercedes when it was new !! And a 2000 cedes still works ok !!! Lol !!!

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing