Kuzma SAFIR 9

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Somehow the discussion drifted to how this tonearm looks. But I think the very high effective mass is far more interesting and I look forward to some comparison reviews.

I mostly use a trusty Triplanar Mk.VII U2 with medium effective mass. The Saffir’s extremely high effective mass has me considering an experiment: ordering an additional stainless steel counterweight and attaching a vibration-free mass of some kind onto the head shell. By adding and adjusting masses onto both ends, one should be able to maintain the VTF balancing and adjustment range, while significantly increasing effective mass. I do not worry about footfalls exciting the resultant lower arm-cartridge resonance because I use a massive suspension-less Micro Seiki mounted on top of granite slabs, on a heavy steel rack, on top of ceramic tile, on top of a concrete slab floor.

Has anyone else experimented with adding mass to both ends of a tonearm?
Yes I have. As I use a Koetsu Urushi I added mass to the headshell end of my SME 312S. In order to keep the counterweight close to the pivot point I added an additional weight inside the counterweight. All this added mass transformed the performance of the Koetsu.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Reactions: howiebrou

Down in Devon

Mar 27, 2020
What are those amps?
The amplifiers are made by Simon Shilton. (who is a long term friend of Kevin's at Definitive Audio)
I believe Kevin has 'voiced' the ones he uses and sells through selection of some of the components.

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com

shakti tell us your thoughts on "the comparison between the two turntables was one of my most exciting moments at this years High End show"? Curious minds would like to know.

And anyone know why Living Voice broke away from Kondo? Or was it that Kondo broke away from LV?

Reactions: Birdwatcher

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
The Safir 9 is a fascinating design - by any of our accepted wisdoms regarding tonearm design, such high effective mass should be a problem with virtually every cartridge, but maybe not! I think it's great that designers like Franc Kuzma are prepared to be different.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019

And anyone know why Living Voice broke away from Kondo? Or was it that Kondo broke away from LV?

LV wants old Kondo sound which is a little bit mellower/romantic compared to livelier and improved new Kondo sound. that’s the summary of what LV said in an announcement.

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Interesting, personally I always thought the older Kondo gear was very euphoric and had this "earthly" tone and not very accurate. It was not my cup of tea.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Call me old fashioned and I'm sure its wonderful, but you wouldn't call it aesthetically pleasing would you? For the cost you'd think a little attention to a buyer's pride of ownership would come in somewhere... wouldn't you? <shrug> perhaps it's just me.
That arm looks like it belongs on the turret of a M1 Abrams tank !o_O

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Quick questions. Is the headshell removable like the 4Point? Is there a dimple at the top of the arm marking the pivot center point so as to allow the use of my P2S measurement tool? Don't see one in these pics. Might not make any difference if used in one of Kuzma's own tables but if used on another table it would be most helpful.
The headshell on SAFIR 9 is not removable and yes, there is a dimple for the pivot center point.

Reactions: bazelio

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU

shakti tell us your thoughts on "the comparison between the two turntables was one of my most exciting moments at this years High End show"? Curious minds would like to know.

Shakti, please tell more about it. What did you expect from the Stabi R/Saphire resp. what were the characteristics of the Stabi R, that you know until that time?

It would be nice to know how the Saphire 9 would sound with Phasemation 2000, or maybe a Dynavector XV-1t. Or a big stonebody Koetsu like Blue Tiger eye or a Fuuga…..

simonthepieman

Oct 2, 2020
The elephant in the listening room is the extremely heavy effective mass of this Safire 9 arm. Most medium-mass arms suitable for moving coil cartridges have effective mass figures in the 12 to 15 grams range. That mass works with the compliance of the cartridge to produce an arm-cartridge resonance in the 10 or 12 Hertz region, approximately. The resonance is typically damped so that there is only modest peaking at the resonant frequency, while a 12-dB-per-octave roll-off occurs below resonance. Conventional wisdom has it that resonances in this frequency range enable bass reproduction below 20 Hz while filtering out vibrations from foot falls on wooden floors that might occur in the 2 to 7 Hz range. If your friends decide to break dance near your table, they might even upset the stylus with their vibes, if that resonant frequency is set too low.

The effective mass of the Safire 9 (unless I’m interpreting the specs incorrectly) is an elephantine 60 grams! That is 4 to 5 times higher that a typical arm. To determine the change in resonant frequency with a heavy arm, we must take the square root of the effective mass ratio, meaning that the resonance would drop in frequency by a factor of 2 to 2.3, down to the 4 to 7 Hz range, very approximately.

(I have purposefully left out the additional influence of turntable suspensions, just to keep it somewhat simple.)

The upside here is that very low bass notes will be reproduced farther away from the now-lower resonance, reducing amplitude and phase distortion in the bass region when compared to an arm with a conventionally higher resonance. More tuneful and tighter bass? More “digital” bass? It’s very possible, and an exciting prospect.

The potential downside is that the Safire 9 and cartridge could pick up extremely low frequency floor noise, causing the woofers to pump and making the powers amps work harder. But, I think anyone paying €20000 for an arm probably has vibration under control, either with the built-in suspension of the turntable, or by some other means. Owners of floppy Linn Sondeks should probably avoid this arm. (That comment is bound to provoke someone).

So, I will be very interested to hear reviews of this arm. Kudos to Kuzma for thinking outside the elephant cage!
Try the SAP 750 Relaxa magnetic support its amazing. not affliation just an impressed customer

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
FE72B35B-4351-4902-9B06-03EC00634669.jpeg

4Point 14 gone. SAFIR 9 ETA…30 days.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing