Lamm ML3 + LL1, at last!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I agree this is a big issue of matches SET amps with speakers with low impedance.

Other than the Bionor which is unobtainium, what are your top five vintage horn speakers David?

:)!

Vitavox corners, JBL Hartsfields, JBL EVEREST's and K2's up to and including M9500. ML3's pair very well with some bigger Kharmas too if one is interested in current cone speakers.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Your issue is a mismatch between your speakers and the amps no cable's going to fix that! Why don't you spend that money on some vintage horns and find out what the ML3's are really all about instead of wasting it on cables that you don't need?

david

Who said it was to be used with my speakers or I was buying them? :)
I just asked for other people experiences ... And thanks, I have now a pretty good idea of what the ML3's are really all about.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) ML3's pair very well with some bigger Kharmas too if one is interested in current cone speakers.

david

Do you have accurate data on the measurements of impedance and efficiency of the Kharmas?

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013

Vitavox corners, JBL Hartsfields, JBL EVEREST's and K2's up to and including M9500. ML3's pair very well with some bigger Kharmas too if one is interested in current cone speakers.

david

How do you feel about Kharma speakers?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Do you have accurate data on the measurements of impedance and efficiency of the Kharmas?
Better than that, I already setup a couple with ML3’s and they slund wonderful together. Of course not every model is compatible.

david

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Better than that, I already setup a couple with ML3’s and they slund wonderful together. Of course not every model is compatible.

david

back in 2001 i had the 75 watt Tenor OTL's on the Kharma Exquisite 1D's (which i purchased new from David-ddk....he was the new US Kharma distributor), which made a wonderful combination. very lively and micro-dynamic. 75 OTL watts is likely less robust and stable than the 32 Lamm ML3 watts. at the time others were using the Lamm ML2's on the Kharma's too (at CES 2002 that exact combo was magical.....in a large room.....now that i think about it maybe it was the hybrid Lamm's at the show, not the ML2's.....David can tell us).

those Kharma's were around 91db efficient, 5 ohm nominal as i recall.

certain newer Kharma's are likely easier loads, and room size would come into the equation. i expect the Kharma's David set up with ML3's are mostly in modest sized rooms in Asia, as that is mostly where you find newer top of line Kharma's these days.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

david
Thanks for the list.
Can you elaborate a little more on the Vitavox Corners?
What is their "real name"?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

david
The Vitavox corner horns and the JBL Hartsfields are just beautiful looking speakers.

I did notice there are classified ads for a supposedly NOS pair of Vitavox Cn-191 corner horns on both UK audiomart and free classifieds in Arizona with exactly the same pics... so one of these is (if not both) clearly bogus unfortunately.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
46k GBP retail is what I heard

They come on used market if you look. There was a pair for £10k in January via Emporium. Was very tempted at the time.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

david
+ 1 on the Hartfields

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks for the list.
Can you elaborate a little more on the Vitavox Corners?
What is their "real name"?
It's CN-191 Christoph. The design is based on the Klipsch corners but the Vitavox drivers on a a very different level. There's more than one generation, I've had three and each series has it's own pluses and minuses.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The Vitavox corner horns and the JBL Hartsfields are just beautiful looking speakers.

I did notice there are classified ads for a supposedly NOS pair of Vitavox Cn-191 corner horns on both UK audiomart and free classifieds in Arizona with exactly the same pics... so one of these is (if not both) clearly bogus unfortunately.
As far as I'm aware I bought the last two pairs of NOS CN-191's twenty odd years ago, still have one pair in storage, they're using my pictures of the sold pair in those phony ads!

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

david

Can you tell us what exact models are compatible according to your experience?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Can you tell us what exact models are compatible according to your experience?
The best match for ML3 is the midi grand exquisite with F drivers, already set them up in two systems and used them multiple times at CES with ML3s. One of the systems belongs to a close friend and I've spent many days with him in his listening room tuning the system so I know this speaker very well.
david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The best match for ML3 is the midi grand exquisite with F drivers, already set them up in two systems and used them multiple times at CES with ML3s. One of the systems belongs to a close friend and I've spent many days with him in his listening room tuning the system so I know this speaker very well.
david

And how does the smaller one sound?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
And how does the smaller one sound?
The Classic Exquisite is a beautiful speaker as Mike mentioned but it's only borderline acceptable with the ML3 IMO. The Midi Grand is the best cone speaker match I've heard with the them.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing