Lamm ML3 + LL1, at last!

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
BTW, two nice things about Lamm is that they publish full measurements and specifications - although they are not subjectively mandatory it is great to be able to check that the amplifiers and tubes are perfect - and extremely detailed photos of the interior of the units.

Both confirm Mr Shushurin's objectivist stance. Not sure there is another ultra high-end amp sharing the same frugal approach towards appearance and parts quality... Electrocube caps and Hammond chokes...o_O

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have liked Lamm electronics every single time I have heard them. I love the sound of Steve’s top-of-the-line all Lamm system. I believe that you simply cannot go wrong sonically using Lamm electronics in appropriate systems.

On girl-with-guitar and simpler jazz music I preferred the ML3s over VAC 450s and darTZeel 458s in MikeL’s amazing system and room. (Ironically, it was also that experience which caused me to let go of my high-power SET/PSET amplifier quest and come full-circle back to high-power push-pull for a single, do-it-all amplifier solution.). I think at its power rating the ML3 is a standard state-of-the-art recommendation.

Just to make a bit of trouble I will say that I would love to hear a direct A/B/C comparison among ML3, Viva Aurora and Absolare 845 SET!

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Both confirm Mr Shushurin's objectivist stance. Not sure there is another ultra high-end amp sharing the same frugal approach towards appearance and parts quality... Electrocube caps and Hammond chokes...o_O

I took my Lamm M2.2 to a local shop for repair here in LA, they are a renown vintage MAC, Audio Research and Mark Levinson repair shop. They said that the Lamm M2.2 was without a doubt the best sounding SS amp they've ever had at their shop. What interested them the most was that the parts used were common and relatively inexpensive. The part that was damaged was a relay. In a vintage ML amp, the relay would have cost $200-$300, but the relay the Lamm used was just $40.

So...why does the amp cost so much if it's not the parts? It's the art of the design.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I took my Lamm M2.2 to a local shop for repair here in LA, they are a renown vintage MAC, Audio Research and Mark Levinson repair shop. They said that the Lamm M2.2 was without a doubt the best sounding SS amp they've ever had at their shop. What interested them the most was that the parts used were common and relatively inexpensive. The part that was damaged was a relay. In a vintage ML amp, the relay would have cost $200-$300, but the relay the Lamm used was just $40.

So...why does the amp cost so much if it's not the parts? It's the art of the design.

It is curious that you refer to Mark Levinson - as far as I know they did use standard good quality components, not the expensive audiophile paraphernalia - a practice carried by many top brands.

Built quality carries a price - IMHO the Lamm parts are not so common or cheap as you suggest. They use military low noise resistors, massive heatsinks, Lemo internal connectors, exceptionally silent power transformers. Remember that when you see the top photos of the M2.2 you are only seeing the upper deck. Also remember than an hybrid amplifier has an extra cost due to the need to address power supply requirements for tubes and SS, as well as some extra safety aspects needed to design a reliable unit. The fact that it is small manufacturer making a limited number of units must also be considered.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The fact that it is small manufacturer making a limited number of units must also be considered.

it's a mom and pop business with Vlad doing all of the R&D as well as the assembly with one other worker while his wife deals with the website, orders, invoices etc

When it comes to second guessing Vlad re thinking tube rolling will produce a sonic improvement, I say guess again as he knows exactly the best tubes to use. In all my years with using his products (over 15 years) the only tube he allowed me to roll was the 12AX7 on my ML 2.1 and ML3 where I have always used an NOS Telefunken ECC803S which is much sought after if you can find them

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Built quality carries a price - IMHO the Lamm parts are not so common or cheap as you suggest. They use military low noise resistors, massive heatsinks, Lemo internal connectors, exceptionally silent power transformers. Remember that when you see the top photos of the M2.2 you are only seeing the upper deck. Also remember than an hybrid amplifier has an extra cost due to the need to address power supply requirements for tubes and SS, as well as some extra safety aspects needed to design a reliable unit. The fact that it is small manufacturer making a limited number of units must also be considered.

Art Dudley opined long ago that Lamm pricing had no relation to the $ of its parts. My guess is that is also a piece of why resale value is somewhat low for the brand.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Art Dudley opined long ago that Lamm pricing had no relation to the $ of its parts. My guess is that is also a piece of why resale is somewhat low for the brand.

You mean, resale value is low, or the volume of resale is low (not many selling)

Reactions: KeithR

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
You mean, resale value is low, or the volume of resale is low (not many selling)

the issue is not Lamm resale, it's tube amplifier resale. obviously this is a generalization, and based upon my own observations of watching the used tube amp market for a few years, then buying, and then selling tubes amps.

solid state amps with good reputations sell quicker and at higher percentages of original retail. again; based on my own experience.

logically there are many more 'move up' buyers for solid state amps. the tube amp intenders are fewer and are concerned about the whole 'tube' quality and 'unknowns'.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
the issue is not Lamm resale, it's tube amplifier resale. obviously this is a generalization, and based upon my own observations of watching the used tube amp market for a few years, then buying, and then selling tubes amps.

solid state amps with good reputations sell quicker and at higher percentages of original retail. again; based on my own experience.

logically there are many more 'move up' buyers for solid state amps. the tube amp intenders are fewer and are concerned about the whole 'tube' quality and 'unknowns'.

Mike,
This is a great assessment. A quick look on Audiogon shows that SS amps sell for 40-50% of their original retail value. The tube amps seem to be much lower, I wonder if most buyers assume that they have to replace the tubes so the sell price reflects that.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Mike,
This is a great assessment. A quick look on Audiogon shows that SS amps sell for 40-50% of their original retail value. The tube amps seem to be much lower, I wonder if most buyers assume that they have to replace the tubes so the sell price reflects that.
Are you taking into account the relative age of the items in this assessment or can we take this as pure anecdotal evidence?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Are you taking into account the relative age of the items in this assessment or can we take this as pure anecdotal evidence?
100% pure anecdotal evidence based solely on my 16 years selling on Audiogon. I have not completed a rigorous study and have no quantitative data to support my argument.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
100% pure anecdotal evidence based solely on my 16 years selling on Audiogon. I have not completed a rigorous study and have no quantitative data to support my argument.
Ok, just wanted to be sure I understood correctly.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Art Dudley opined long ago that Lamm pricing had no relation to the $ of its parts. My guess is that is also a piece of why resale value is somewhat low for the brand.

I got four Lamm used units last year. The depreciation is similar or even less than other high-end expensive units - the most sought units keep high prices. And you have to be patient and have friends to locate exactly what you want ...

Buyers should be careful - some used units that show prices too good to be true are not true ... :(

Reactions: christoph

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Back to the VTL's yesterday, after many days of Lamm's - 95% of the time using the DCS Vivaldi stack.

IMHO the question will be: do I want the magic or the real? :)

Because it seems we can't have both ...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Most
Back to the VTL's yesterday, after many days of Lamm's - 95% of the time using the DCS Vivaldi stack.

Most intriguing comment...which is real for you and which magic?

Reactions: Ron Resnick

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Most intriguing comment...which is real for you and which magic?

Using recordings of performances I have listened the VTL shows more detail of the performance and the rhythm is more correct - more ambiance, more nuanced voices and instruments. However listening to the Lamm's is more fluid and relaxing, although it clearly hides some detail.

Listening to Jennifer Warmes Famous Blue Raincoat in the two amplifiers was revelatory - in the Lamm is sounds a bit more like old Leonard Cohen recordings, on the VTL it shows more a singer with a microphone in a stage - you feel her moving as she approaches it, the voice has more sibilants.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

But you are fortunate to have both. ;)

Kind regards,
Tang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
But you are fortunate to have both. ;)

Kind regards,
Tang

I will not keep both for long - too much expense on audio! One of them must go ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing