Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

mr.gregdee

Oct 3, 2016
E.Sussex ,UK
gpoint-audio.com
The F2a/ 11 is a shame for a Dac, that tube belongs in a Telefunken V69 amp or Klangfilm amp. there it unfolds its magic;)
Txs for a tip Stephan. As I said I haven't heard them in the DAC yet, so don't have my own view on that. But I heard them in the Klangfilm amps which my friend John restored for somebody and those amps were just brilliant. Sadly he didn't want to sell them to me ;( Also I liked the way their chassis were made, boxes to hung on the wall, behind the speakers for super short connection and almost invisible "being in the system". I fully agree with you on the sonic quality in the amps. Unforgettable experience

Reactions: DasguteOhr

mr.gregdee

Oct 3, 2016
E.Sussex ,UK
gpoint-audio.com
At Silvercore on his 833c amps we had compared expensive Telefunken dual gettr EL34 to cheap Chinese ones that he had voiced the amp with. The Telefunken were much more clear and transparent, but on his system, the way he had voiced it, they lacked meat, and both due to the midbass and musicality the Chinese ones were preferred.
That how it feels when you are changing Skogrand Beethoven cables to the Albedo Monoliths :)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Why is it a shame for a dac? You cannot use it in an amp and a dac?
because this tube is rare and belongs in the best amps and not in a output stage of a Dac. if an EL 34 is to be replaced you could use 5881 tube. Pay attention to the anode voltage do not exceed maximum values. it sounds finer makes more bass.

P. S
A F2a11 is twice as steep as an EL 34, the internal resistance is 15 times smaller. not a good replacement

Last edited:

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Nice post Greg!
Can you elaborate on TRP 2 please…
Point of clarification: Greg is referring to the Atlantic 2: TRP. There is no successor to the TRP at this time... Sorry Golum, lol

Reactions: K3RMIT

mr.gregdee

Oct 3, 2016
E.Sussex ,UK
gpoint-audio.com
Point of clarification: Greg is referring to the Atlantic 2: TRP. There is no successor to the TRP at this time... Sorry Golum, lol
Hi Fred , yes. Just typo. I use either names of TRP or Atlantic 2. Nothing newer there ;) and no reason for if anyone asks me. Probably best to stick to the full Atlantic2 TRP name for the future. Sorry if anyone got confused. It wasn't intended.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
So a manufacturer review and not an open post like others?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
So a manufacturer review and not an open post like others?

Who said that? People were talking about external clocks and transports that had nothing to do with the Horizon.

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I agree, can we keep the comments to Horizon specific?

I wonder if the Pre-amp portion of the Horizon is all new? If so what has changed?

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Are there any pictures of the back of the Horizon?

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Speaking of clocks, I would be very interested to hear from Lampi information about the internal clock used in the Horizon. Given how far clock tech and the understanding of what specs are important in audio applications has come since the design of the Pacific, one assumes that it would be a significant area of opportunity for improvement vs the Pacific. Also, was any consideration given to allowing for use of an external master clock?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
i understand the desire to stay on topic- yet there are dozens if not 100s of threads that veer off topic without threat of moderator deletion. Interesting....

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Who said that? People were talking about external clocks and transports that had nothing to do with the Horizon.
without signal source you won't get any sound from your new dac. I would think about it again. Background knowledge has never made people more stupid;)

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
without signal source you won't get any sound from your new dac. I would think about it again. Background knowledge has never made people more stupid;)

I did not say the topic wasn't important or interesting. I just don't feel a deep dive belongs in the thread about the new Horizon. I suggest you start a new thread to discuss it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing