LampizatOr Baltic 3

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
And finally…the ecc40 noval adapters arrive. Slapped my welded plate Tungsrams in there to percolate for a couples of days. A sneek listen suggests a very high performance, close to the nickel e80cc

Attachments

• 5CC4F9F3-F131-469C-A345-952CAFBA029B.jpeg
    5CC4F9F3-F131-469C-A345-952CAFBA029B.jpeg
    443.1 KB · Views: 19

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
I am fully inserted into the rabbit hole. I have about 10 rectifiers to try or that I have tried. Currently a nice Bendix 6102 in rotation.
I have a number of 6SN7/12SN7 and equivalents: 7N7/2C50/VT99/ and the usual 6SN7s. Currently 6F8Gs in rotation.

I have a pair of ECC40s on the way with adapters to try in the 6SN7 and 12AU7 positions.

nice! you got your hands full there... don't forget to share your findings with us... :)

So I have one question. Several folks have mentioned trying a 12BH7 in the 12AU7 spot but no one seems to have described its sound or to have left it in play as their go-to tube. Any feedback on that tube's sonic attributes?

I have a pair of RCA 12bh7a which I like a lot, but then I got the Tungsram e80cc nickels shortly after and then I moved my 12bh7's to my amplifier that takes the same tubes. I felt that was a better balance where the Tungsram's were more neutral and crystal clear where as the RCA's maybe had a bit more of a romantic sound. I think perhaps that sound signature has more to do with RCA vs Tungsram construction than the tube type though, but both 12bh7 and e80cc draws a bit more current than 12au7/ecc82 and is perhaps a more "powerful" sounding tube, I don't know.

right now I'm using Siemens (Philips) ecc40 in the B3 and I'm also waiting for a pair of Tungsram ecc40 to try instead of my 12bh7 in the amp. maybe I'll try swapping the ecc40's with each other. I expect kind of similar effect as before where the Philips likely are warmer sounding than the Tungsram's, but you never know...

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
I received my AZ1 from Poland yesterday. It is built like a tank. I always worry about shipping 90 year old tubes but this one is very solid. The box looked like it had been kicked through the goal by Messi but all is well! The adapter came from China as most do but is well made also.

Although it was a bear trying to get the tube into the adapter it was well worth it. I did not have a lot of time to listen but this rectifier may move out into first place for me. It contributes to that "spooky" realism that I am always trying for. Like Powerman, I use an LTA Integrated amp. Mine is the Ultralinear version.

Miki70

Aug 17, 2018
Mérida, Yucatán. México
I received my AZ1 from Poland yesterday. It is built like a tank. I always worry about shipping 90 year old tubes but this one is very solid. The box looked like it had been kicked through the goal by Messi but all is well! The adapter came from China as most do but is well made also.

Although it was a bear trying to get the tube into the adapter it was well worth it. I did not have a lot of time to listen but this rectifier may move out into first place for me. It contributes to that "spooky" realism that I am always trying for. Like Powerman, I use an LTA Integrated amp. Mine is the Ultralinear version.
I ordered a Bendix 6106, hopefully it arrives next week and it will be great that could beat the brimar 5z4gy, I was also intriguing the Sophia Electric AQUA 274B lots of good words for it,

Could you share which brand Is the AZ1 ?

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
I ordered a Bendix 6106, hopefully it arrives next week and it will be great that could beat the brimar 5z4gy, I was also intriguing the Sophia Electric AQUA 274B lots of good words for it,

Could you share which brand Is the AZ1 ?
It is a Valvo...

Reactions: Miki70

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
The rolling starts to get a bit crazy. I have probably ~12 rectifiers., ~12 6SN7 + variants, and ~10 12AU7s and compatibles.

This calculates out to 12 x 12 x 10 = 1440 possible combinations!

Reactions: Powerman

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
This calculates out to 12 x 12 x 10 = 1440 possible combinations!
Ain’t that cool listening for 1440 days only to one song or one album day in day out to pick the best combo? And on the day 1441 you introduce few more rectifiers and double triodes to the mix and you need to do the entire round again :cool:

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Both the Valvo az1 and Bendix 6106 are very interesting rectis, I like them both a lot, but I also had different experiences with them when it comes to matching with other tubes. I found the Bendix (talk about built like a tank) to be amazingly fun together with Tungsram e80cc but it was maybe a bit too much of the good stuff with the Philips ecc40 where the az1 seemed like a better overall matching in my setup.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
GEC U52. I can’t say I was particularly looking forward to this one, anticipating the stereotypical British valve ‘thick brown gravy over everything’ experience but found it quite pleasant overall. Balanced and mellow but less articulate and engaging than the 1st quartile performers. Smallish overall image size despite being well used and left on for two days. Thanks to @VoicesInMyHead for the loan!

So far, the Valvo AZ1 mesh is my fave with honourable mentions to bendix 6106 / brimar cv1863 / eml274b. Still have three further 4v options to evaluate this coming week once all the adapters arrive - Telefunken rgn2004 Milano mesh / Tungsram pv200/600 / Soviet BO-188.

IMG_0585.jpeg

Reactions: VoicesInMyHead

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
GEC U52. I can’t say I was particularly looking forward to this one, anticipating the stereotypical British valve ‘thick brown gravy over everything’ experience but found it quite pleasant overall. Balanced and mellow but less articulate and engaging than the 1st quartile performers. Smallish overall image size despite being well used and left on for two days.

I feel there's fresh winds blowing over the Baltics these days, the good old recti's have to move over and leave room for new (but still old) exciting options... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Sablon Audio

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
adapters ftw! :p

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
I fired up the Tungsram pv200/600 and had a very quick listen. It doesn’t suck. In fact it does some things better than any predecessor. Brand new tube with brand new resistor damped adapter so it’ll need some burn in time.

A0D5CE10-A86D-4425-A925-4978EB27E7CF.jpeg

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
speaking of adapters, I remembered that I have 2 more! :D now you're (finally) going to think i'm crazy, but....

I'm using RCA->XLR adapters which to me actually sounds better than going XLR-XLR as I then also can use the gain switch in high mode (sorry newer B3 and B4 owners, the switch is long gone). this is of course not a desired long term solution and not something I recommend to others, but as my amplifier only have XLR inputs I bought XLR cables.

and yes, the USB cable is a bit short with the current arrangement of things.

Johnax

Mar 26, 2023
Hi all new member here. Thanks for all of the great information on the Baltic 3. I just purchased one (preowned) and I'm looking forward to trying it out. It will replace the DAC that is built inside my Bryston BR20 preamp. Can someone tell me how to purchase this 6F8G -> 6SN7GT adaptor from Poland? It looks much higher quality than the ones I see on eBay from China.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, John!

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Hi all new member here. Thanks for all of the great information on the Baltic 3. I just purchased one (preowned) and I'm looking forward to trying it out. It will replace the DAC that is built inside my Bryston BR20 preamp. Can someone tell me how to purchase this 6F8G -> 6SN7GT adaptor from Poland? It looks much higher quality than the ones I see on eBay from China.

Welcome! :)

I found the Woo Audio adapter (from USA) better than the adapter from Poland (also found on eBay), but the price difference is quite high.

Woo adapters

Some adapters from Poland

Johnax

Mar 26, 2023
Welcome! :)

I found the Woo Audio adapter (from USA) better than the adapter from Poland (also found on eBay), but the price difference is quite high.

Woo adapters

Some adapters from Poland

That’s awesome thank you so much! I checked out the Woo audio page and saw the 6F8G/6C8G —> 6SN7 adapter. I haven’t read anything about the 6C8G tube. Have you tried any of those?

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
That’s awesome thank you so much! I checked out the Woo audio page and saw the 6F8G/6C8G —> 6SN7 adapter. I haven’t read anything about the 6C8G tube. Have you tried any of those?
I think that it is an electrical equivalent to a 6SL7 and predates it. It has more gain than a 6SN7.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing