Lampizator DSD DAC

How high is your output volume at this time of the day?;):p

On another note. I got my GG back.

OMG did I miss it. What a revelation to put this machine back in the system. Just heaven from the first tone. The Lampi Kron 5U4G with the px25....awesome!

Last edited:
Yes the PX25 are a 101D on steroids heavey like. 300 B but detailed like 101D wonderful pairing now the recti is still
Out for debates if you own the eml 274B mesh try it. While it's still new to me the eml made the music closerike I like it.
I never liked the sound o 5u4b. My hope is I learn to like it lol.
I have a tak 274b comming as well. What engine do you have. ?? Mine is r2r non switching PCM to dsd and dsd to 256
???

Al, khonfused, have you yet compared your px25 to the 242?

Al, khonfused, have you yet compared your px25 to the 242?

I don't have a 242. Come by and we'll test them. But I will try the Kron recti vs the Taka tonight.

Now that I have my mundorf GG back, I am confident to say that I like it more than the jupiter/duelund GG that I had for a week or so....
It is more transparent, dynamic and forward driving in my system. Kind of similiar to px25/101d vs. 300B tubes.
If in your system you like 300b you may also like the jupiter/duelund caps in the GG.

@Al: I have the 5942x pcm engine.

Mundorf will never compare to Duelund, from any reports, including speaker crossovers

Mundorf will never compare to Duelund, from any reports, including speaker crossovers

Ked, your views are always very outspoken. I learned in my 35 years audio journey that people hear very different, value various aspects of music reproduction differently, opinions vary due to system energy, using different cables, acoustics, etc. etc.

So while I am a big fan of the Duelund silver caps after adjusting the Genesis 1.1 xovers, I would be not surprised at all if other people might prefer top of the line Mundorf caps.

Actually, these are not mine. These are all the speaker mod, amp mod guys. There is debate among Jupiter and Duelund, but never among mundorf and the others. Mundorf supreme is good

Ked, your views are always very outspoken. I learned in my 35 years audio journey that people hear very different, value various aspects of music reproduction differently, opinions vary due to system energy, using different cables, acoustics, etc. etc.

So while I am a big fan of the Duelund silver caps after adjusting the Genesis 1.1 xovers, I would be not surprised at all if other people might prefer top of the line Mundorf caps.

Rudolf, to your point, I might sound absolutist on Lampi threads - and shun mooks :D. On speaker threads I have recommended everything from Acoustats to Apogee Grands to various different horns, to stenheim, etc, and fly over to listen to those I haven't heard. And on analog threads I don't recommend, just observe and learn. Which is why I love Lampi and the mooks so, they made me stop researching that category, while, tons of endless options in other categories, especially analog. And i am not absolutist about Lampi when comparisons are made to vinyl. I will gladly swap it for a good vinyl set up, and use an Oppo for streaming spotify

Actually, these are not mine. These are all the speaker mod, amp mod guys. There is debate among Jupiter and Duelund, but never among mundorf and the others. Mundorf supreme is good

:)

Those are absolute statements. I understand the enthusiasm but ... in this hobby?

While I do read of many people who have taken the time as I have done hiw certain parts , tubes , caps sound it's more of a guide and we each must learn to like the sound and not force a fit. When I have my speakers crossovers done over they were designed and voiced by Psaudio with mr N of infinity. The original caps were old and I figured it was time to change them. The crossovers were like new ears the cars he choose were Mundorf caps . I have two lampi dacs one with Mundorf , and one with dueland or Jupiter . While the new DAC has also new firmware and non PCM and dsd SW formats. So there is a few things going on.

Tubes. The new PX25 are an amaizing tube they are as Luke says a 101D on steroids . They have the impact of a 300b with the leval of detail they 101D have. Now as I have tried a few combos of tubes I have. So far the Kron px25 rules no matter what I hVe tried . The recti Has not won me yet and may not. The eml mesh 274B is a bit closer and increases the magical sound of the Music. Tonight I will try the tubes in my headac.
I have tak on order. I do seem to like a 274b recti over a 5u4B recti. Why I don't know ill try to nail the reason why soon. The 442 I will not be buying now as Luke feels it's below the sound of px25 . But this is choice not rules , only guides from all of us. Now here is something they mY raise some eye brows. The 101d are and seem to be an odd tube for. While they seem to be great on Classical they do not seem to be an all around tube for me. And last night did the same for my new B7 DAC.

I can not understand how you can grade components in such absolute ways, independently of the circuits, applications and systems. IMHO the sound characteristics of a capacitor in a tube application, such as the Lampizator or in a speaker crossover will be very different. Tube circuits bias the capacitor with an high DC value, signal amplitudes are different in those applications and typically crossovers are more prone to mechanical vibration. BTW, I am only addressing the theory :eek: - I have no experience with Duelund or Lampizator.

I offered the more expensive caps as an option for my cross overs. I have the music ones. The new ones in my lampi are not the same they are copper silver 2.2. While I have no experience as well I do know what I like and in this hobby I always welcome views to,help guide or try out new ideas. Now while Luke loved the recti he sent me I mAy not. But I will try to quantify the why before I say it's not. I say this as he is the man who made the DAC. Just like mrN of Infinity did. Respect for invention rules to a point but I still must love it to

And if khonfused you like mundorf you should try the mundorf supreme

Last edited:
Bonzo thanks for taking the time in your post. We are all passionate in our postes and I am too. The level of lampi ownership is high in the fact the we each want it to sound best for us each . The choices given in each build gives us choices no Dac does and then tube rolling above this. Regarding the cross over choices was any bypass caps used. Mine both old and new have this concept
While I am just an end user I know it's something that also matters in total effect of sound
Ingrid mundorf in an headphone amp and it did not sound good to me and I went to real caps
While caps do sound different it's sound is a complex arraignment. I love the guy with wires on the floor for the crossovers it reminds me of myself after all doing a and b is the best for me. My memory stinks lol. I do that with tube rolling to prove to myself he change
Again thanks for the time to post
So far I love the new dac

Rudolf, to your point, I might sound absolutist on Lampi threads - and shun mooks :D. On speaker threads I have recommended everything from Acoustats to Apogee Grands to various different horns, to stenheim, etc, and fly over to listen to those I haven't heard. And on analog threads I don't recommend, just observe and learn. Which is why I love Lampi and the mooks so, they made me stop researching that category, while, tons of endless options in other categories, especially analog. And i am not absolutist about Lampi when comparisons are made to vinyl. I will gladly swap it for a good vinyl set up, and use an Oppo for streaming spotify

Point taken Ked. And just to be sure: I have no problems with your 'absolute' statements at all. ? And if I disagree, I will say so in the threads that I am interested in. In one regard I might be more absolute than you because I never liked any of many horns I listened to in my life, albeit that I am still thinking about giving the Vox Olymprian a serious try. That would be mainly out of curiosity because I am very, very happy indeed with my Tidal LA's.

So here is my final verdict on the Takatsuki 274b.
I expected a close race with the Kron as I really like that one, but it was not even close.

The Taka is the one to get! Nothing I know comes close. It would have been nice if a cheaper recti could stand its ground, but that's just not the case.
I liked the Kron 5U4G Lampi Edition the last few days, but the Taka is just so much better. Get this one and be done.

Yes, I too can make absolute statements...:p

image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, this is good feedback

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing