Lampizator DSD DAC

So here is my final verdict on the Takatsuki 274b.
I expected a close race with the Kron as I really like that one, but it was not even close.

The Taka is the one to get! Nothing I know comes close. It would have been nice if a cheaper recti could stand its ground, but that's just not the case.
I liked the Kron 5U4G Lampi Edition the last few days, but the Taka is just so much better. Get this one and be done.

Yes, I too can make absolute statements...:p

View attachment 28018

May I ask what digital engine do,you have in the GG alos what caps. Please .
I rolled many tubes and went from my head DAC to my B7 today. Blown out with music lol.
Has anyone heard or have the Kron 274 B recti ?

The new B7 is the best yet in PCM so good it's like new recordings. It takes the last bit of pcm edge away. It's dsd is very good to not sure witch one I like better in dsd. Yet. While I am sending my head DAC in for a refit of bypass of the driver tube with a switch I am going to do the upgrade of the digital engine . But I am going to have both the new non SW PCM /dsd and the old dsd left in. Not sure witch caps I have dueland or Jupiter. I will leave what inside for now. I can change the caps Myslelf if I feel I need to. The Kron px25 work fine in the head DAC even witha driver tube. I can hear the 300b soind even more with the headac . The Kron and the eml mesh recti work very well in the head DAC. But the Kron is better on both dacs for me. With the lampi eml 45 mesh the dsd someday feel,is better detailed on my headac . But that cause of the 300B sound. Weight is needed but if too heavy for me the DET,ails suffer a bit and I loose the dsd sound. The more I play the more I love the new one . Hope,this helps some. If you love dsd on your lampi and want it closer without upsampling the new firmware r2r is for you. The dsd is very close and even on my big rig yes it's different but changing out tubes it quickly becomes a toss up . I have a few other recti tubes to try and boatload of other tubes to try too. I'll post some more tomorrow night. A quick thought is if you upsample PCM to,dsd this upgrade and the new super Kron tube set is PCM at its absolute best. I forget who on here has the really high end PCM only DAC. Let me know if you have done the update yet . I know how sweet that DAC plays PCM but this update might close that gap now

Last edited:
I expected a close race with the Kron as I really like that one, but it was not even close.

The Taka is the one to get! Nothing I know comes close. It would have been nice if a cheaper recti could stand its ground, but that's just not the case.
I liked the Kron 5U4G Lampi Edition the last few days, but the Taka is just so much better. Get this one and be done.

View attachment 28018

How far is the difference? I am using Kron PX-4 with Kron 274B now. New red PCB and Duelund hybrid capacitor.

How far is the difference? I am using Kron PX-4 with Kron 274B now. New red PCB and Duelund hybrid capacitor.

I am using the Kron px25 and have the latest pcm engine with the mundorf caps. In my book the difference to any other recti is big. More air, better structure, better localisation etc. it's really easily discernible...within a few seconds you know this is how it got to be....there is no looking back.
I know this is an expensive recti, but it's worth it....

And unlike output tubes I think this recti will be a perfect match with any caps or in any system.

View attachment 28018

Is it possible to describe in what ways the Taka recti beats the Kron recti? Where did you buy the Taka recti, Khonfused?

I am using the Kron px25 and have the latest pcm engine with the mundorf caps. In my book the difference to any other recti is big. More air, better structure, better localisation etc. it's really easily discernible...within a few seconds you know this is how it got to be....there is no looking back.
I know this is an expensive recti, but it's worth it....

And unlike output tubes I think this recti will be a perfect match with any caps or in any system.

So Tak has more air, structure, and localisation. Which is more dynamic and bassy?

Explaining the changes Ina recti for me is not easy , it effects the sound in ways that make it hard for me to nail down. Last night as I rolled tubes and dacs with a friend on Facebook messenger it became more clear . What I can say is for now the Kron pairing with the Kron recti I have sound best so far . I have a few other recti to try and two more coming. As time goes on with the B7 Dac the sound of the px25 as a 300B is becoming more apparent . Going from the headac to the B7 is a clear improvement in PCM if one likes to upsample to dsd . No need to do so if it was me. I own a set of SACD of Stevie Ray Von box set. I have all,of his cd,s. They cme from a PCM time. At least I think so. They had edge and plenty of it. If played low or mod it's no so bad , but if I emailed to play it loud the PCM edge I call bite is over powering. During quite passages. I can hear the hum of something in the recording. So maybe it's really loud hahahaha. The new B7 removes this edge no matter what tubes or recti I use. It must be the r2r or maybe the combo of new r2r and Mundorf silver copper 2.2. Going back to the head DAC pits the edge back. While I love the head DAC for me the new r2r is wow in PCM and it's dsd is still right there with the chip less. While I am still evaluating the dsd of both dacs Ina shootout. They both are very nice.

It's where I bought mine too. Funny I have recti that have the same structure a few and do not sound good in the lampi but great on anther Amps.

So Tak has more air, structure, and localisation. Which is more dynamic and bassy?

The Kron can deep bass too, but the Tak is a bit deeper and, more importantly, more controlled and cleaner, no mushiness there.
Dynamic is good with both, but again the Tak does this bit extra that makes it outstanding.

It just feels right, and as Al says, kind of hard to describe really. Hearing is believing.

The new B7 is the best yet in PCM so good it's like new recordings. It takes the last bit of pcm edge away. It's dsd is very good to not sure witch one I like better in dsd. Yet. While I am sending my head DAC in for a refit of bypass of the driver tube with a switch I am going to do the upgrade of the digital engine . But I am going to have both the new non SW PCM /dsd and the old dsd left in. Not sure witch caps I have dueland or Jupiter. I will leave what inside for now. I can change the caps Myslelf if I feel I need to. The Kron px25 work fine in the head DAC even witha driver tube. I can hear the 300b soind even more with the headac . The Kron and the eml mesh recti work very well in the head DAC. But the Kron is better on both dacs for me. With the lampi eml 45 mesh the dsd someday feel,is better detailed on my headac . But that cause of the 300B sound. Weight is needed but if too heavy for me the DET,ails suffer a bit and I loose the dsd sound. The more I play the more I love the new one . Hope,this helps some. If you love dsd on your lampi and want it closer without upsampling the new firmware r2r is for you. The dsd is very close and even on my big rig yes it's different but changing out tubes it quickly becomes a toss up . I have a few other recti tubes to try and boatload of other tubes to try too. I'll post some more tomorrow night. A quick thought is if you upsample PCM to,dsd this upgrade and the new super Kron tube set is PCM at its absolute best. I forget who on here has the really high end PCM only DAC. Let me know if you have done the update yet . I know how sweet that DAC plays PCM but this update might close that gap now

Alrainbow, do I understand you correctly, that you have both DSD engines: old one on the analog filters and the new R2R engine and the new one is as good as the old one? I am plan to order GG soon and is very worried that the new R2R DSD might be inferior to the famous old DSD.
Has anybody else had a chance to compare old and new DSD engines?

Alrainbow, do I understand you correctly, that you have both DSD engines: old one on the analog filters and the new R2R engine and the new one is as good as the old one? I am plan to order GG soon and is very worried that the new R2R DSD might be inferior to the famous old DSD.
Has anybody else had a chance to compare old and new DSD engines?

If I am translating Al correctly, his B7 is R2R for both, while his head dac is older PCM and chipless DSD.

He clearly prefers his newer, R2R PCM, and says it's very close to DSD. I concur from what I heard at Bill's I personally am not sold on upsampling. I like playing natively, while sometimes it suits upsampling

Comparing DSD between the two, reading from his previous posts, he is saying it's as good, but different

If I am translating Al correctly, his B7 is R2R for both, while his head dac is older PCM and chipless DSD.

He clearly prefers his newer, R2R PCM, and says it's very close to DSD. I concur from what I heard at Bill's I personally am not sold on upsampling. I like playing natively, while sometimes it suits upsampling

Comparing DSD between the two, reading from his previous posts, he is saying it's as good, but different

Can you explain me what is R2R DSD? As far as I know R2R is a technique associated with building DAC chips to be used with PCM - resistors are used in voltage dividers to create the electrical levels representing the signal.

BTW, just to exemplify, as far as I know DCS uses a mixed technique - a high precision randomly corrected 5 bit R2R DAC is used with 64x oversampling.

Bonzo you can be my offial al translater. You understood me perfectly. If I was going to buy a lampi gg it would be with the new r2r for both dsd and PCM and as a caviat you can have the chipless dsd
As Winson confirmed with Luke you can. I plan to maby do this with my head dac. But I am going to wait a little more before I do anything to the head dac.

Can you explain me what is R2R DSD? As far as I know R2R is a technique associated with building DAC chips to be used with PCM - resistors are used in voltage dividers to create the electrical levels representing the signal.

BTW, just to exemplify, as far as I know DCS uses a mixed technique - a high precision randomly corrected 5 bit R2R DAC is used with 64x oversampling.

Actually, I am not sure about the technology. Maybe wisnon or someone else can answer.

Winson can explain better but what your saying is correct. The reason for the r2r is non SW for formats
As it's only a few days it's dsd is pure to my ears. I say it's different because the dacs sound different. Possible due to caps alone. I really love the new PCM sound on the new B7 . Now why I do not know for sure .

Actually, I am not sure about the technology. Maybe wisnon or someone else can answer.

Not sure about the technology either. I call it R2R DSD as the new R2R PCM engine now supports DSD up to 256. I guess, it is better to have old DSD too just for the piece of mind. Interestingly, you need a separate board and manual switching if you want DSD512, Lapmpizator is just working now on the new R2R engine which will support DSD512.

Winson can explain better but what your saying is correct. The reason for the r2r is non SW for formats
As it's only a few days it's dsd is pure to my ears. I say it's different because the dacs sound different. Possible due to caps alone. I really love the new PCM sound on the new B7 . Now why I do not know for sure .
Winson and Alrainbow,thank you, this is very helpful!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu