Lampizator DSD DAC

Oh you are balanced? You can't do px25 either, but can do KR 242 I think, you can source them directly from KR or Lukas

I am not sure I will want to go through the shipping back of this unit for re-adjusting the voltage to suit KR 242. It would be too troublesome. I love this PX-4 deep bass and slam. I need more air, sweeter mid. Once it passes 250 hours, I will see if I need to roll these tubes. :)

Check, but for balanced don't think you need to readjust voltage

Bonzo so the PX-4 balanced setting is compatible with KR 242??? These PX-4 is pretty shattering the room already. :)

Think so. Please confirm with Lukasz

I have a pair of psvane we 274b I tried tonight I have one burning in now. Brighter then the Kron 5U4G . Again this is in mine . Is tree anyone here who has a se r2r dsd non switching ? After today's I am at about 60 hours or so.

I checked the Dac Test Report, point #24 it says: tolerance 200-1500mV, result 580mV. Does it mean KR 242 will be safe to use? Not sure at all. What is the other parameter to check before replacing to KR 242? I hesitate to ask Lukasz because it's still less than 80 hours now. LOL.

Hi,

I have exactly the same set up as yours....Big7/KR274B/PX4/bal/ r2r non- switching, and I did write my initial impressions earlier in this thread. The DAC has now crossed 100 hours and I continue to be amazed with the sheer amount of drive that these tubes are capable of. In fact, I have had to adjust my preamp gain by -6db (2V) to be able to utilize my volume control. Even then, I am around 5-7 clicks down on my volume control knob, relatively speaking, compared to my previous DAC.

I am also trying to figure whether 242 works on balanced Big 7. As Ked has said, it does support but given what I am experiencing with the Px4s, I am wary to plug them in straight away without reducing the gain settings on the DAC . Apparently, Lucas does add his caveat to using the 242. I will feedback once I get some more information. The 242 has an amplification factor double that of the px4 as far as I remember. The interesting fact about balanced I am told, however, is that one could choose to run it in SE mode with only 2 output tubes. That does open up other possibilities......

Enjoy.........you will be amazed at the improvement as the DAC continues to break in.

Cheers

Sujay

Hi Sujay,

Thanks! I also forgot to mention, I have to turn down the volume drastically. When using PS Audio Directstream, normal listening is around 20-23 on my preamp remote control display. I even have to turn up to 25 when listening to the Weavers at Carnegie Hall. With this GG, gosh! 15 is the max I can hear and 13 is pretty loud. I am concerned if replacing these PX-4 with KR 242, would a wise move judging from my current setup.

Hi Sujay,

Thanks! I also forgot to mention, I have to turn down the volume drastically. When using PS Audio Directstream, normal listening is around 20-23 on my preamp remote control display. I even have to turn up to 25 when listening to the Weavers at Carnegie Hall. With this GG, gosh! 15 is the max I can hear and 13 is pretty loud. I am concerned if replacing these PX-4 with KR 242, would a wise move judging from my current setup.

Hi,

Your concerns aren't misplaced imv.......

By the way, I thought you had the Big 7 not the GG.. In fact, I don't think ( I am told) the 242s are compatible with GG.... Anyways, enjoy the DAC. It is special in every which way! I will keep you updated if I hear anything from Poland!

Cheers

Sujay

Hi,

Your concerns aren't misplaced imv.......

By the way, I thought you had the Big 7 not the GG.. In fact, I don't think ( I am told) the 242s are compatible with GG.... Anyways, enjoy the DAC. It is special in every which way! I will keep you updated if I hear anything from Poland!

Cheers

Sujay

They are not compatible with GGSE but I think fine with the balanced version. Not sure but will help to check

From Lukasz:

KR-PX4 - for all our DACS - retro compatible with 101D setting.
KR-PX25 - a more loud and more powerful version of PX4 but works ONLY for SE DAC types on 300B setting of filiament. In balanced it will overheat the DAC.
KR-242 - a super dynamic and loud tube for 101D settings, similar to PX4.
Like PX4 the 242 can work in balanced DACs as well as SE.

Lukasz

I am not technical savvy one. How to replace the fuse at the back? I saw there is two bolts at the back near where the power cord is inserted. There is a sign of fuse in the middle but how to pry it open? Any idea?

I used to put a screw driver in there and push out the fuse holder

I used to put a screw driver in there and push out the fuse holder

Thanks Bonzo. Successfully replaced with SR Black Quantum which I used for PS Audio. At first, I put it in the wrong direction. The bass is missing, soundstage shrunken. After about 15 minutes, I took the courage to reverse. Now, the bass is back and singing again with very wide soundstage. :)

From Lukasz:

KR-PX25 - a more loud and more powerful version of PX4 but works ONLY for SE DAC types on 300B setting of filiament. In balanced it will overheat the DAC.

Lukasz

Wisnon, thanks! I got the same response from a friend. The problem is, with PX-4 alone, I only have 10 - 13 click to play around. There will be an additional 6 db should I replace it with KR 242. I am not sure if my preamp will be able to cope with it. :(

From Lukasz:

Lukasz

After a while with KR 242 I installed back Psvane 101D WE replicas instead. Recti is still Kr 5U4G Lampi edittion.
Kr 242 were to " offensive " in my setup, I missed a timbre and body whilst transparency, dynamics - both micro and macro - were fantastic.
But I prefer more relaxed presentation of 101D, intend to try KR PX 25 next week.
I checked the price and availbilly of Taku 274b, with duty and delivery to Poland it costs approx 950 usd , too much for me for one recti valve.
Thank you Taku, I will stay with my Kron.

Interesting Mariusz, but i thought 101d highlighted the same characteristics?

Not in my setup with efficient speakers.
Lukasz reduced the gain of my B7SE with Duelund Cast Pio caps already in March , both for PCM R2R and DSD boards.
Now when speakers started to sing after a few month and adjustments this KR 242- very impressive indeed in the beginning - cused the fatigue in longer sessions.
The balance with Kr 5U4G and Psvane 101D is much more up to my taste.

You have Duelund cast? Cool

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu