Lampizator DSD DAC

I received my GG. Don't even have speakers to listen to it. Distro tested it but not on 242s, so will have to get it to some local audiophile's when I get the time. Funnily enough I seldom visit audiophiles local to me

That is a greet choice it's what I am going to do with my head dac.
While he dsd is fine with he non SW B7 I am interested to hear if there is anything missing as well.

I received my GG. Don't even have speakers to listen to it. Distro tested it but not on 242s, so will have to get it to some local audiophile's when I get the time. Funnily enough I seldom visit audiophiles local to me

Congratulations!

Would like to seek opinions... there is a hybrid silver copper duneland cap offered and I wonder if this may be a good upgrade. Any comments?

Email rob or pm rob or Fred they ayre sold many lampi and know what caps sound like maybe they have done one up and can inform you. I have Mundorf silver copper 2.2 caps. Very musical to me.

Congrats, Ked.

Lukasz just announced this on his Facebook page:

One of the rarest tubes in current production - KR242. And the most expensive too. The main quality factors are: directly heated cathode, dual zirconium getters, great Telefunken design improved upon by KRON in Czech Republic. This tube is relatively small, very powerful, with high micro and macrodynamics. It makes lazy and boring systems jump to life like the adrenaline injection did in Pulp Fiction movie to Uma who OD'd. It is particularly suitable to balanced Big series DACS from Lampizator because it has the smallest heater current from all DHT tubes so it wont stress the heater PSU. Currently the waiting time for the next manufacturing slot is 1 year but we bought the entire stock to make tons of money this time around.

Lukasz just announced this on his Facebook page:

One of the rarest tubes in current production - KR242. And the most expensive too. The main quality factors are: directly heated cathode, dual zirconium getters, great Telefunken design improved upon by KRON in Czech Republic. This tube is relatively small, very powerful, with high micro and macrodynamics. It makes lazy and boring systems jump to life like the adrenaline injection did in Pulp Fiction movie to Uma who OD'd. It is particularly suitable to balanced Big series DACS from Lampizator because it has the smallest heater current from all DHT tubes so it wont stress the heater PSU. Currently the waiting time for the next manufacturing slot is 1 year but we bought the entire stock to make tons of money this time around.

Sujay, you reading this? ;)

This is from Lukasz, too:

The newest custom production run of PX-25 KRON tubes is finally here. It was worth the 3 month wait. This is fantastic output tube for any amplifier, also for our DAC from Big series : Lite7, Der Siebener, Golden Gate or Big 7. The PX25 is only for SE DACS and its variant PX-4 which is identical otherwise is suitable for balanced DACs. We own practically the entire World stock of this tube which is only 12 pairs at the moment ! plus 12 pairs of PX-4.

I have another pair of the px25 coming
It sounds great on both my lampi dacs. The blackest background I ever heard with micro detail is far better than my msb stack. A truly amaizing tube to use.

Will get tomorrow from Lukasz a pair of KR PX4 , 242 had to much gain for me. Despite of that , only good things - transparency, speed , dark background and micro and macro dynamics.
Lukasz says PX 25 have the same gain as 242 but are suitable for the same settings as 300B whilst 242 work with those of 101D. In my setup with very efficient speakers I think PX 4 will be the best match with KR 5u4g Lampi Edition.

Can someone be kind and tell me what the difference is of micro and macro as used please. I have an idea but would love to read it.
Thanks

Can someone be kind and tell me what the difference is of micro and macro as used please. I have an idea but would love to read it.
Thanks
For me macro dynamics concern the orchestral works with many instruments.
The sound is dynamic in micro scale when the sound of a single instrument is reproduced with close to natural dynamics , even in quiet passage for example pianissimo in piano concert.

Sujay, you reading this? ;)

just got around to this. Traveling and hence intermittent connectivity! I wish I cud try the 242s. I still feel though that it's way too much of a 'good thing' for the balanced DAC unless probably the voltage is tweaked down in the DAC itself. As Lukas says, the 242s will bring a lifeless system up a few notches......I dare say, I'm already having a party with the px4s in a system full of life and dynamics. I am in uncharted territory now but I just think that the 242s driving a pair of SETs into med/high sensitivity speakers might just be a treat......but with high powered solid state, I'm not too sure!

On the other hand, I think the 101d will be superb on the balanced big 7 and I will be listening to these in a few days including the 242s if they arrive by then.

The other way to look at it is I cud run a pair of the 242s in SE mode.....don't know if that makes sense

Lots to look forward to!!

Will get tomorrow from Lukasz a pair of KR PX4 , 242 had to much gain for me. Despite of that , only good things - transparency, speed , dark background and micro and macro dynamics.
Lukasz says PX 25 have the same gain as 242 but are suitable for the same settings as 300B whilst 242 work with those of 101D. In my setup with very efficient speakers I think PX 4 will be the best match with KR 5u4g Lampi Edition.

A friend told me that GG is wired for two different systems. The 101D / PX4 is a kinda solid state sound while the 300B is for tube sound. I am not sure. I am currently using PX4 and KR 274B. Once they've fully run in, I will see if I need to tweak something. I need more air..wet vocals. :)

I can understand why you hear that
A 300 b is a weighed tube as such is a bit slower more tuby in sound. Between faster 300b like the px25 are fast and yield more micro details. Now 101d is very fast and also much thinner more details but for me lacks enough weight to be musical. I used them for classical music that is complex and from afar it makes it closer
The other tubes I do not own

I can understand why you hear that
A 300 b is a weighed tube as such is a bit slower more tuby in sound. Between faster 300b like the px25 are fast and yield more micro details. Now 101d is very fast and also much thinner more details but for me lacks enough weight to be musical. I used them for classical music that is complex and from afar it makes it closer
The other tubes I do not own

I just wonder, I have so many tubes in my whole systems. Aesthetix Eclipse linestage has 8 tubes (2 6SN7, 2 12AX7, 4 6922. I bought all NOS from Brent Jesse). The linestage is powered by two separate power supply where each has another 8 tubes (2 EL34, 6 12AX7). For my preamp alone, there are 24 tubes. The Aesthetix Atlas mono each has single 6SN7. So overall, I have 31 tubes for DAC, Pream, amps. But so far, I still miss the mids. Yes I have the slam, the speed, the soundstage, the depth, realism, I am just need a tad more of the seductive mids. :)

Wow that is many tubes. So many to know what is best in sound. The preamp you have is very good.
I would not have gone hat route but as I am old I remember when I did. Heat in the winter for sure. Tubes somewhere always makes music over sound. Ok but I would think you would need fast tubes in your dac as it seems you have enough tube sounds

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing