Lampizator DSD DAC

Interesting. It's supposed to be like the west nos version and according to a friend who has that and the tak tube they are very close
Now I have a tak coming to hear its sound. Have you tried the tak 274B ? Sorry if you have posted this answer

Hi no haven't tried the Tak

Hi Mariusz,

Ii's hard to recommend tubes on a different system and maybe taste.

I like better 101D Replica (not the plain 101D) than the PX4, but the KR242 over 101D Replica by a large margin.

Regarding rectifier tubes I listened to the KR 5u4g rectifier and found it a little harshly on a B7 SE on a friend system very similar to mine. This friend has the EL 45 Lampi Anniversary Edition, that is BTW a great double triode power tube, but not available now. I love Takatsuki 274B or Philips Miniwatt GZ34 metal base NOS 1957 as rectifier.

Regards,

Roch

Thank you Roch. I agree with you that the choice of tubes is very system and taste depending. After the first listening it seems to me that PX 4 have the egde over 101 D replicas in vocals and small ensembles while the latter is better for more complex music.
In my system 242 are to dynamic , 101D are just enough but not so transparent.

This Takatsuki 274B must be a real gem , but it's very pricey.
Rgds
M

Last edited:
Hi Mariusz,

Ii's hard to recommend tubes on a different system and maybe taste.

I like better 101D Replica (not the plain 101D) than the PX4, but the KR242 over 101D Replica by a large margin.

Regarding rectifier tubes I listened to the KR 5u4g rectifier and found it a little harshly on a B7 SE on a friend system very similar to mine. This friend has the EL 45 Lampi Anniversary Edition, that is BTW a great double triode power tube, but not available now. I love Takatsuki 274B or Philips Miniwatt GZ34 metal base NOS 1957 as rectifier.

Regards,

Roch

Hi Roch, nice post!
AL has the same GZ34 1957 metal base recti that I gavce him and now he cant find it. Bummer!
I am ashamed to say I have not yet tried the Psvane 101d WE replica, but have extensively used the 101d genuine NOS WE ST shape. I own BOTH sets of tubes. LoL

I have the PX4 in the system now. One is faulty and very microphinic to the touch (rattles when shaken), but if you insert it just right it plays totally clean sounding. I like it a lot, but not sure if any of my DHT beat the Lampi mesh globes.

I have a ton of rectis, but almost all vintage...gz34 metal base and ceramic base (mullard), GZ37 skinny bottle, many RCA Jan WW2 5r4gy, Chatam submarine 5u4g, Shuagang 274b, Brimar 5z4, Mazda 5r4, some 5y3, Type 80, SS recti with pins, and others I forgot.

What I dont have are the STC/Brimar footscray 5R4, WE 274b and 422a, Tak 274b, EML and Kron rectis of any kind (would love the KR5u4g for its high vacuum longevity) and fat bottle GZ37 from Cossor/Mullard. Those are the fan favouriite rectis that I have never been able to get a hold of. Most of my rectis came from the Barn and so were VERY cheap to acquire. The metal base GZ34 I have seen on EBay up to $600 each and I got mine for less than $20, but it took hours of sorting thru dusty trays to find that gem! In the course of that though I was able to find some near unobtaniums for Shawn Fox and a 2nd GZ34 for my Buddy AL. Alas, delepted the stock of the good stuff there long ago.

After a long time living with the B7, and owning 7 different triode alternatives, I have found the Sylvannia VT-52 is the one I use most. When I take system frequency response tests, I notice that tube produces a very smooth frequency response relative to other tubes i.e. much smoother than Tung-Sol 6A3 for instance. I'm not talking 1/3 plot response here, I'm looking at 1/24th plots, where you can really see what tube rolling does.

After a long time living with the B7, and owning 7 different triode alternatives, I have found the Sylvannia VT-52 is the one I use most. When I take system frequency response tests, I notice that tube produces a very smooth frequency response relative to other tubes i.e. much smoother than Tung-Sol 6A3 for instance. I'm not talking 1/3 plot response here, I'm looking at 1/24th plots, where you can really see what tube rolling does.
I forgot I have one of those too and havent tried yet! I think you pioneered this tube. AL has 1 or 2 sets as well.

Yes I have two pairs. What ones do you have the Russian ? Last i remember I did not like them
But that was a few upgrades ago lol. Also headphones.
I am using a pair to run in my new B7 they are clean but there is something odd with them for me.
Also food for thought how loud we listen and genre is also why some like one over the other
The vt52 is a 6A3 Right ? Some others I have I liked more. There is also a small new now sylavanais that need a socket as well. I remember not liking them either. I'll
Try them as well.

Yes I have two pairs. What ones do you have the Russian ? Last i remember I did not like them
But that was a few upgrades ago lol. Also headphones.
I am using a pair to run in my new B7 they are clean but there is something odd with them for me.
Also food for thought how loud we listen and genre is also why some like one over the other
The vt52 is a 6A3 Right ? Some others I have I liked more. There is also a small new now sylavanais that need a socket as well. I remember not liking them either. I'll
Try them as well.

VT52 is a double element 6A3, if I recall correctly.

May I ask what recti do you use

I am in 6X5 land Al... but my preamp uses 274B - one per channel. I use cheap TJ mesh plates. I sold my EML 274B as I decided I preferred the TJs.

The VT-52 does sound oddly different to the usual options but I just seem to like it.

Thanks for your reply and the Beauty of the lampi is many choices. I'll try that later if I have time. Is the reg 6 A3 upper mid forward like I think if tested ?

Thanks for your reply and the Beauty of the lampi is many choices. I'll try that later if I have time. Is the reg 6 A3 upper mid forward like I think if tested ?

The 6A3 is quite rough as in the frequency response varies a lot in the upper mid i.e. it is very jagged, That gives it the audible upper mid forwardness of which you speak I believe. Conversely, the VT-52 is smooth, which gives it its relative calmness in that region.

The 6A3, at least the Tung-Sol variant, is a bit of a bad boy technically, but it is highly entertaining.

The VT-52 is a mil spec tube. You should expect that sort of thing to behave!:)

It may just be that the 6A3's jagged frequency response is responsible for the sense of greater spaciousness over the VT-52, which sounds relatively shut in by comparison. Not 100% sure about that - just guessing.

The 6A3 is quite rough as in the frequency response varies a lot in the upper mid i.e. it is very jagged, That gives it the audible upper mid forwardness of which you speak I believe. Conversely, the VT-52 is smooth, which gives it its relative calmness in that region.

The 6A3, at least the Tung-Sol variant, is a bit of a bad boy technically, but it is highly entertaining.

The VT-52 is a mil spec tube. You should expect that sort of thing to behave!:)

I have a few mil spec tubes. A driver vt99. Best driver I ever heard be it rca or tungsol. I use it in my amps woo WES , wa5 / and in my head dac. I also a recti hat is great in my woo wa 5 but not. Heads dac and is good in my new B7 it's usaiforce 596 I think. Or 296. I love the military now as they are new nos.
the 6A3 is good for old rock for me

It may just be that the 6A3's jagged frequency response is responsible for the sense of greater spaciousness over the VT-52, which sounds relatively shut in by comparison. Not 100% sure about that - just guessing.

Great understanding in comparing specs to sound. Who knows. But there is something to the magic we hear

Rolling tubes is just playing with vary degrees of triode distortion. Great fun, though:)

Military spec Tungsram 6X5G from 1964. It never really changes - I think it is ace. Looks like this:

vintage-british-tungsram-6x5g-valve_360_a6d1190657430edbbe839d71860df44e.jpg

I have a bunch of that style tubes not sure they are military garde but I am buying some other recti
I have kat on its way. And I am going to buy some other recti as well.
What is the specs you see that makes one better over the others. Recti is an odd duck in that they effect the sounds in odd ways. I she a solid state recti as well

I have a bunch of that style tubes not sure they are military garde but I am buying some other recti
I have kat on its way. And I am going to buy some other recti as well.
What is the specs you see that makes one better over the others. Recti is an odd duck in that they effect the sounds in odd ways. I she a solid state recti as well

Hi Al,

Completely different topic but I wanted to let you know that I reacted to your request on the audionirvana website to list some (very) good sounding Channel Classics and Challenge Classics files. I refer to that website.

Thanks I found your post. I'll look later.
It will be a tube and dac rolling experience today.
trying out the vt52 and your recti now as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing