LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Mesh / globe or the later solid plate / ST?
Mesh/globe it is. Reticent and shy with the 6l6 family I have, it and the KT88's seem to get along well.

Reactions: Sablon Audio
I have nice power tubes and recti for the Atlantic3 TRP to sell including a nice pair of Siemens F2a's. Ping me or check the classifieds.

I'm loving the Bendix 6384s with Sophia 274b v1 and KT88's w/5r4 family.

Reactions: Beckola66
I have nice power tubes and recti for the Atlantic3 TRP to sell including a nice pair of Siemens F2a's. Ping me or check the classifieds.

I'm loving the Bendix 6384s with Sophia 274b v1 and KT88's w/5r4 family.
Which KT88's are you enjoying? Im currently using Gold Lion KT66, have tried Tung-Sol KT120's and they were ok, I've also tried KR Audio KT88's and thought they were fantastic.

Hello to All!
New to posting here although I’ve been following this thread for sometime now- there’s great information here and it’s been interesting to watch the evolution of members preferences when it comes to rolling tubes in the TRP.
I’ve recently acquired a new TRP dac and I’m trying to wrap my head around not only the vast number of tubes that are compatible but all of the variants of those tube families as well.
While researching this I’ve come across references to tubes that are of the same type/family but there are notes warning that they are designed for use in parallel circuits and/or may not work in some circuits at all.
Would anyone with prior experience of the TRP know if the dacs circuit allows for the use of tubes meant to be used in a parallel circuit and/or is there any tribal knowledge/cheat sheet that can provide specific parameters of what will “disqualify“ a tubes use in the TRP?
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to WBF, Designsfx!

Which KT88's are you enjoying? Im currently using Gold Lion KT66, have tried Tung-Sol KT120's and they were ok, I've also tried KR Audio KT88's and thought they were fantastic.
My TRP came with Shugang KT88's which Lukasj seems to really like. It also had an NOS Winged C 5u3c. There's a lot to like with that pairing! I just got a pair of Sophia KT88's and they're just breaking in as of today. I previously said I generally didn't like KT88's, but have to eat some crow on that one. The combo of 5r4gy, esp Brimar, and Shugang KT88 is my favorite for fun so far - the most invitation and swing. A Valvo G1064 mesh is a nice choice there for me as well.

I have a pair of GEC 1075 (KT66) that didn't float my boat - a little reserved (you can find them in the classifieds!). And, as astounding as the F2a is, it felt hyper-real to me. Sort of like being in the sonic equivalent of a Maxfield Parrish painting.

I actually prefer the Bendix/Tung-sol 6384's are also fantastic - more subtle than the F2a and more linear and detailed than the KT88, they sound great with AZ1/274b rectis. Still sorting through that a bit, but the Sophia v1 is a favorite so far...again a globe/mesh Valvo AZ1 is sweet, too.

My TRP came with Shugang KT88's which Lukasj seems to really like. It also had an NOS Winged C 5u3c. There's a lot to like with that pairing! I just got a pair of Sophia KT88's and they're just breaking in as of today. I previously said I generally didn't like KT88's, but have to eat some crow on that one. The combo of 5r4gy, esp Brimar, and Shugang KT88 is my favorite for fun so far - the most invitation and swing. A Valvo G1064 mesh is a nice choice there for me as well.

I have a pair of GEC 1075 (KT66) that didn't float my boat - a little reserved (you can find them in the classifieds!). And, as astounding as the F2a is, it felt hyper-real to me. Sort of like being in the sonic equivalent of a Maxfield Parrish painting.

I actually prefer the Bendix/Tung-sol 6384's are also fantastic - more subtle than the F2a and more linear and detailed than the KT88, they sound great with AZ1/274b rectis. Still sorting through that a bit, but the Sophia v1 is a favorite so far...again a globe/mesh Valvo AZ1 is sweet, too.
I have never heard a bad word about the KR Audio KT88.
I'm with Ron - I'd love to hear 'em myself!

Give those Sophia's 300 hours on before judging. They were my favorites in the TRP. I don't know about the KR version, just about the 5U4G RK, which had me wanting to throw my system out the window. In a short discussion about tubes with Lukasz at PAF in Seattle last year, I found that our sonic tastes are different. Btw, last I heard Lukasz dropped KR because he became unhappy with their QC (or something).

Reactions: budburma

@budburma
I find it interesting that you move to another set of KT-88’s as I haven’t quite figured out if I‘m going to keep the quad that I have. My new Atlantic TRP came with a quad of LinLai KT88-D’s and a Sophia Aqua 274B. In my system this occasionally sounds a little congested in the low mid. Maybe it’s just the pairing? I don’t know but when changing the Sophia to the old time “Potato Masher” the stage moved back and (on some recording) things became a little more cohesive although the output/drive suffers a little.
I’m interested in knowing more about what led you to the 6384’s- did this come as a recommendation or was your choice based on specs? I know spec wise that this is a fairly high output tube and I see others exploring this direction with older Tung Sol and Philips tubes as well.

Give those Sophia's 300 hours on before judging. They were my favorites in the TRP. I don't know about the KR version, just about the 5U4G RK, which had me wanting to throw my system out the window. In a short discussion about tubes with Lukasz at PAF in Seattle last year, I found that our sonic tastes are different. Btw, last I heard Lukasz dropped KR because he became unhappy with their QC (or something).
Hahaha! Throw the tube out the window. Keep the baby! Time is the key for sure - the TRP changed completely at about 300, too, and what a relief that was. Some warm nine pins in my LTA and it's starting to come together. Patience isn't my forte; this old dog is just learning to sit, Ubu, sit.

How about sitting through the burn in of 3 rectis consecutively, 5-6 weeks(!), when one already suspects the winner is the first.

@budburma
I find it interesting that you move to another set of KT-88’s as I haven’t quite figured out if I‘m going to keep the quad that I have. My new Atlantic TRP came with a quad of LinLai KT88-D’s and a Sophia Aqua 274B. In my system this occasionally sounds a little congested in the low mid. Maybe it’s just the pairing? I don’t know but when changing the Sophia to the old time “Potato Masher” the stage moved back and (on some recording) things became a little more cohesive although the output/drive suffers a little.
I’m interested in knowing more about what led you to the 6384’s- did this come as a recommendation or was your choice based on specs? I know spec wise that this is a fairly high output tube and I see others exploring this direction with older Tung Sol and Philips tubes as well.
I feel you. I like the KT88 presence and invitation to get lost. Very musical for me. Some of the 5r4's - RCA - muffled vocals too much. Philips 5r4gys may need some patience on my end - it was tight sounded with a smallish stage. The Brimar ('50's 6202 w/two micas, ceramic spacers on top and disk getters) was good there, though. I'm looking forward to trying a CV717. And, I'm hoping the Sophia KT88's are more rounded and grit free.

Sophia 274b's I borrowed from a friend were too etchy in the highs, especially the mesh type, but that was with the bit of grit in the Shugangs.Sophia 274b v1 works for me with the 6384's. .

How about sitting through the burn in of 3 rectis consecutively, 5-6 weeks(!), when one already suspects the winner is the first.
Ouch. Suspicions...and is that how it turned out?

Ouch. Suspicions...and is that how it turned out?

Yes. But after that, I decided to let the Tungsram PV 200/600 go for now. However, I've got two power tubes and two allegedly better rectis on the way (for a GG2/3).

I'm hoping the Sophia KT88's are more rounded and grit free.

bit of grit in the Shugangs.Sophia 274b v1 works for me with the 6384's. .
I see. Do you find the 6384’s to have more drive than the KT88 and did it provide/enhance the mids and highs?

Fabulous, thanks for the reply. I find when you upgrade any electronics up or down the chain then you have to try all options again as they all sound better or worse than before.

Reactions: christoph
Reactions: budburma

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing