LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
I absolutely agree after several weeks of TRP listening hours and had also the ability to listen to several Lampi DACs including the GA R2R at Christoph‘s place, the TRP is outstanding ;)

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I can't vouch for now but a while back there was a huge debate about the Sophia 300B on a UK forum.

It got into great depth and argument. The conclusion was the Sophia was a TJ that was supposed to have gone through better testing IIRC.

The trouble was the Sophia pricing was just plain ridiculous compared to the TJ which was peanuts brand new relatively.

I also visually compared other Sophias and they sure looked like TJs.

I don’t know about who is making the Aqua 274B for Sophia, although it seems TJ at least used to make a clear glass 274B mesh plate for Sophia that users raved about. However, the current TJ 274B does not look like the Sophia and sells for about 50% more than it in USD. In the States, the Aqua is $159 from Sophia directly and an authorized seller on eBay with a 30 day warranty. Sophia also has a $199 option with a year’s coverage. The eBay seller is also shipping worldwide except Germany for the equivalent of $159 plus a typical shipping charge (e.g., $25 to France). On Marktplaats, which I guess is the German seller, they are asking 350 Euros, which does seem quite a markup.

In any case, it’s hard to find a review of the Sophia 274B that doesn’t rave about its sound relative to other good rectifiers, and the electrical side of the Aqua version seems to have been worked out for most applications.

P.S. Just got an email from Lukasz that says the Lampi is very easy on rectifier tubes and any will do. And that good one should last 10 years, no less.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monsterzero

jriggy

Dec 4, 2017
I’ve had a TRP here breaking in for a couple weeks and it is indeed very good!
But to first talk about the 4P1L/R2R A/GA; When it comes to my often listening of remastered live Grateful Dead and other well recorded live improv rock, there is a speed, snap, energy and crystalline bite to the music, mixed with its linear frequency response and it is a conduit to the musical intent that I really enjoy. There is a special synergy between the 4P1L/R2R DAC straight to my amp and speakers that I can not let go with a trade-in. I’ll be holding on to my Atlantic for a long time for this type of listening.
I see why a couple of you have more than one Lampi model. They all must be special in there own way, yet still ‘better’ as you go up the line.

The TRP is indeed excellent at tone and harmonics, leading to more realism. It has an openness in the midrange (with the tubes I have on hand) that allows the imaging on the soundstage to be more convincing and realistic (excellent scent building) And I imagine all of the above is helped with its more inner detail retrieval...

So I am currently trying to figure out if I can afford the TRP without my trade-in and/or can I get a few of the 4P1L/R2R traits into the TRP via tubes...

What I have here are included vintage JJ EL34’s, the suggested in this thread new Gold Lion KT77’s and a pair of vintage TungSol 5881’s... Oddly the GL KT77’s seem to me to have a timing issue or something that literally leave me with an uneasy/anxious feeling. The TungSol’s are the best of these but they all have a dip/quieted range here or there and lack the linear frequency response and quick tight bass of the 4P1L.

What tubes will add these fast tight and linear response attributes to the TRP’s superior aspects?

Reactions: wisnon

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The TJ and Sophia and JJ tubes are quite poor compared to KR, EML, Elrog, etc

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I’ve had a TRP here breaking in for a couple weeks and it is indeed very good!
But to first talk about the 4P1L/R2R A/GA; When it comes to my often listening of remastered live Grateful Dead and other well recorded live improv rock, there is a speed, snap, energy and crystalline bite to the music, mixed with its linear frequency response and it is a conduit to the musical intent that I really enjoy. There is a special synergy between the 4P1L/R2R DAC straight to my amp and speakers that I can not let go with a trade-in. I’ll be holding on to my Atlantic for a long time for this type of listening.
I see why a couple of you have more than one Lampi model. They all must be special in there own way, yet still ‘better’ as you go up the line.

The TRP is indeed excellent at tone and harmonics, leading to more realism. It has an openness in the midrange (with the tubes I have on hand) that allows the imaging on the soundstage to be more convincing and realistic (excellent scent building) And I imagine all of the above is helped with its more inner detail retrieval...

So I am currently trying to figure out if I can afford the TRP without my trade-in and/or can I get a few of the 4P1L/R2R traits into the TRP via tubes...

What I have here are included vintage JJ EL34’s, the suggested in this thread new Gold Lion KT77’s and a pair of vintage TungSol 5881’s... Oddly the GL KT77’s seem to me to have a timing issue or something that literally leave me with an uneasy/anxious feeling. The TungSol’s are the best of these but they all have a dip/quieted range here or there and lack the linear frequency response and quick tight bass of the 4P1L.

What tubes will add these fast tight and linear response attributes to the TRP’s superior aspects?
Shhh, vintage GEC kt66. lol

Reactions: fbs

jriggy

Dec 4, 2017
Shhh, vintage GEC kt66. lol
LOL! I know. I’ve been here ;)
I was more thinking in specifics of bass control, upper end extension, and linearity. Was hoping someone may say that, yes, the best tubes mentioned in here do indeed sound different in these areas than the tubes I’ve had to try.

Reactions: Golum

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
More detailed insights from Fabio:
“Did some further comparison between the GEC KT66 and Genalex KT77. After having had the KT66 in the system for several weeks I changed back to the KT77 and was first impressed by the presence, slam and details I got. The soundstage moves much closer to the listener. Dynamics and microdetails are great. At times I almost had a heartattack when an unexpected impulse hit my body. It reaches slightly deeper in the bass than the KT66. However, bass control is inferior to the KT66 with more focus on the very low end and a slight dip in the upper mid bass. The high gain, dynamics and details come at the cost of being less musical. Some music can sound a bit forced and nervous at times. The KT66 is more relaxed with lower noisefloor. Music just flows better. Details are presented in a more natural manner. Both tubes have excellent treble extension and reach deep down (the KT77 a bit deeper). Think of the GEC KT66 as a better version of the Brimar 6L6G.

If your system is a bit sleepy, you’re looking for more dynamics and punch or your pre-amp has a low input gain I would chose the KT77. If you want to calm down things and you are rather into long-term relaxed listening go for the KT66. Both tubes are exceptional in their own ways. I compared them in the TRP with the RK Ann. Rectifier.”

Reactions: Golum and jriggy

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I also like vintage German/Philips/Mullard EL34s. Al likes the old psvane gold base el34s.

I need to try the KT120s Golum lent me.

Reactions: jriggy

jriggy

Dec 4, 2017
Thank you for the reminder paragraph there wisnon!!
I’d agree with most of that said. The Genalex/Gold Lion KT77’s are kind of “forced and nervous” sounding (look back what I just said about them) and do also hear that midbass dip and forwardness in my system.
Also from his comments, makes me wonder if the GEC KT66 would be to mellow and not have the PRaT/speed and snap I’d like to achieve.
To bad no one else has tried nice new KR KTxx tubes to report. I know Lukasz used KR KT150’s at a show here in the US.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Does anyone have a spare 596 to lend or sell? Want to try it in Lampi as well as Allnic. Also buying an Elrog recti

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Does anyone have a spare 596 to lend or sell? Want to try it in Lampi as well as Allnic. Also buying an Elrog recti
I'm getting Elrog 274b tmr so will post experience here or in Lampi valves rolling thread..check with Al - he might dig 596 somewhere in the US

Reactions: bonzo75

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
Until I can replenish my bank account and pickup some of the more highly regarded rectifiers,I picked up a potato masher to hold me over. Having never heard one,can anyone tell me what to expect from it sound wise(its still in transit) and what tubes would you guys suggest pairing with it?

jriggy

Dec 4, 2017
As most here probably know....cables are just as important as tube choices and the two can affect each other + or —
It’s important to continue to experiment for the best synergy! Lol. I’m seeing how versatile and moldable the DAC can be!

Reactions: wisnon

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Any
The TJ and Sophia and JJ tubes are quite poor compared to KR, EML, Elrog, etc

That based on your listening tests of the Aqua 274B? If so, you'd be the first to give a negative review.

Btw, the price of the Elrog 274B in the U.S. is $580 (tubesusa.com). At that price, it better be good.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Any

That based on your listening tests of the Aqua 274B? If so, you'd be the first to give a negative review.

Btw, the price of the Elrog 274B in the U.S. is $580 (tubesusa.com). At that price, it better be good.

I didn't particularly gear Aqua else I would have mentioned it. This is my general impression of all TJ, Sophia, JJ, heard over the years. I did not say elrog, KR, etc were cheaper than them.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Do you need an adapter or just the tube?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing