LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ty cris for your interest. Has anyone here tried the we 422a ? If my memory os correct I did a few years back. It was not on par with the we 274b sound. But this was a while back and I don’t know how good the tube tested

I owned a WE 422a and Bill and I tried it and didn’t like it. I would like to try the 274b. However an Allnic 5000 owner did prefer his 422a over KR and Tak in his system, and I suspect with such old tubes sample to sample variation is quite high

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Another problem with NOS valve recommendations is when was it made? What I mean is internal construct varied over time for many manufacturers.

Without close up pictures of the valves in question it is hard to know whether you are listening to exactly the same device somebody may have recommended to you. Nevermind the effects of any relative measurements of valve health.

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Another problem with NOS valve recommendations is when was it made? What I mean is internal construct varied over time for many manufacturers.

Without close up pictures of the valves in question it is hard to know whether you are listening to exactly the same device somebody may have recommended to you. Nevermind the effects of any relative measurements of valve health.
And there were a LOT of construction differences over the years from the manufacturers. Just look at the differences with the KT66 from the 1940's to 1970's. There's a reason why a 1954 Mullard 12AX7 will cost a lot more than a 1959 version.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
While I’m cooking my new trp copper top dac I’m scrolling through some 16000 albums
The stuff I find is pretty cool. This album is very good and shows at 20 feet they are here but at my sitting position of 8 feet I’m there front row wow what a sound. As this dac cooks it’s just getting more full and still has the blistering speed I love.

Attachments

• 7BA51555-3E8C-4E85-AE94-AD5F98920C49.jpeg
    7BA51555-3E8C-4E85-AE94-AD5F98920C49.jpeg
    558.4 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: christoph and Golum

Shredder

Feb 21, 2017
Morning (for me at least). So, I have spent the last couple months playing around with output/signal and rectifier tubes for my TRP, and have also been trying to decide whether there is any reason to upsample. These are my results:

Output/signal tubes:

I have tried current production Gold Lion KT66,77, and 88 and ElectroHarmonix 6ca7. I have not tried (and likely will not try) any NOS tubes. For me, too pricey for a matched set of four (my dac is balanced), questionable origins and qc, and current production are great.

KT88s were terrible. Super detailed, but overly strident and non-musical. My reaction is not just a taste issue. I cannot imagine anyone liking these tubes with this dac. Thankfully, I have a Jolida integrated in a second system that uses these tubes as power tubes.

The other three were each excellent. i could be happy living with any one of these as my only tubes choice.

KT66 is linear, balanced, and neutral. They were the first tubes i tried and i was so happy with them that I did not explore other tubes for many months after receiving my TRP upgrade. However, as compared to the KT77 and EH, the midrange is a touch thin.

EH6ca7-Drop dead mid-range, extremely rich and liquid. Very natural and relaxed tone. Less air, high end extension, and punch than the others. I like a somewhat romantic sound and thus loved these.

KT77-Overall best/favorite of the four. Wonderful sparkly highs, killer dynamics, by far the largest soundstage (both in height and breadth), and highly musical. Midrange is very rich and juicy, not as extreme as with the EH, but close.

Rectifiers:

GEC U52-Linear, balanced, neutral, and dynamic. I have used this as my main rectifier for three years, both before and after TRP upgrade. Excellent tube. A touch thin, however, when compared to the other two i tried.

Potato Masher-Beautiful rich sound. Incredible for $15. I could easily live with it.

KR 5u4g Ricardo Kron-Excels at tone which is very natural and spot on. Rich midrange to boot. Exposed the potato masher as a touch off tonally (sounded a bit synthetic by comparison).

PCM v. DSD 512:

Prior to the TRP upgrade, i upsampled to DSD 512 with Roon and HQP. Despite it creating lots of cpu and networking issues (even with i7 processor on Sonictransorter built for HQP), I thought it sounded great and thus lived with the headaches. To me, 512 was significantly better than less cpu intensive 256.

After reading on this forum that PCM on the new engine 53 compared favorably to 512, i gave it a try. I have not gone back. PCM on this dac sounds as good if not better than 512. Actually, very similar sq but the PCM seems a touch more relaxed. I am quite happy to have get max sq qithoug maxing the limits of my server.

I have really enjoyed this forum and this thread.

Take care.

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
How does it compare of not upsampled ? tubes I think ur spot on. I do halve a few pairs of el34 tubes to me they are the fastest in dynamics gets close to good analog in speed.

Shredder

Feb 21, 2017
How does it compare to not upsampled ? tubes I think ur spot on. I do halve a few pairs of el34 tubes to me they are the fastest in dynamics gets close to good analog in speed.
''

I forgot to mention that i am not upsampling the PCM. I can't tell much of a difference between upsampled DSD 512 and the non-upsampled PCM. As i mentioned, if anything, the PCM is a tiny bit more relaxed.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Ok. Pcm if up sampled gets relaxed a bit but it looses some speed and gives odd dynamics at times. Again it’s all subjective really. I have a bunch of off line up Sampled pcm it’s the best way I feel. But if I compare it to stock it shows me some down sides. If you want pcm to relax a bit. Turn the digital vol down a few dB like 8 dB to start. Now listen and don’t let the digital bit police arrest you lol. It calms down a bit and yet has even more low end details but does not loose dynamics. Up the volume on ur preamp
Now if you have a volume control on ur dac it’s even better. Then you can lower vol at the dac to do the same
Do it and observe for a while hours let your brain adjust. Also vol Match as well.

Reactions: Shredder

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
From very reliable person i got info that TungSol (new production) 5881 works sublime in TRP. So guys if you can try it out, give it a chance...
A77D2CAC-E613-4DCE-8960-3742F97D2488.jpeg

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
A great way to increase tube prices. Good idea if owned a few pairs lol. I do have one pair

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Well I don't have any and won't have as I'm swamped with DHTs bro :). BTW you burned in your volume control on TRP? :p

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Nah not for much longer. The monoblock balanced Pacific will be out soon... one per channel. Try rolling Telefunken AD1 with those.;)

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
From very reliable person i got info that TungSol (new production) 5881 works sublime in TRP. So guys if you can try it out, give it a chance...
View attachment 61117
How does it compare to the Gold Lion EL34 that everyone seems to enjoy?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
How does it compare to the Gold Lion EL34 that everyone seems to enjoy?
Honestly no idea, i got this information from a guy “in the know” ;). You’ll need to trust me on this one.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Yea yea yea just bought two pairs one pair testing new nos and one pair new. So tell me is this going to be a good post after I get them lol.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
So it’s now a week and I still love this dac. Of I had to say what’s better pcm or dsd I would say yoda has his flagship line so good I don’t care or look.
It has a level of speed and presence that keeps you there.

Hear is somthing we all do but don’t know why. We all have much more digital music then we play. We go bsck again. And again to our ref feel good play list
What I’m finding with this trp is it’s all very good and while some just shine brighter what I’m finding out is there is soo much more outstanding quality
Music. Maybe it’s the type of tubes used in the trp dac. Maybe it’s the fact I can keep it on for me waiting for me to get home ready to just hit play.
after all these tubes for the most part are a fraction of the DHT prices.
we all know if we leave a dac , server , pre amp and so on always sounds better after a day. I leave my setup on from Friday to Sunday night.

Reactions: Ed_K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing