LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Yes. EL38 adapter also works with GEC E3375 - looks like a GEC KT77 with top cap - but much cheaper than a KT77.
Thanks lefty
No more adapters for me.
How does the GEC KT77 compare with the GEC KT66 in your TRP?

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
Even worse and therefore out for me :rolleyes:
But thanks for the much appreciated info :cool:
A no-go for me too. There are so many other tubes that don't require an adapter. Besides, when you find a really good-sounding one, you don't feel the urge to get out and hunt for another type.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
A no-go for me too. There are so many other tubes that don't require an adapter. Besides, when you find a really good-sounding one, you don't feel the urge to get out and hunt for another type.
Which ones are your favorites, then?

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
Which ones are your favorites, then?
Reissue TUNG-SOL EL34B paired with BRIMAR 5z4G. They provide a beautiful detailed full-bodied sound with wide and deep soundstage in my R2R TRP. I haven't even tried NOS output tubes yet. My recti tubes are all NOS though. Right now I am burning in one RCA 5U4G. I find that it lends a more forward feel to the resulting sound than the BRIMAR. More details as well. The BRIMAR is definitely warmer.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
It does seem like an unnecessary difficulty, but what if there is a tube you really love and you cannot wait to give it a try?

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Thanks lefty
No more adapters for me.
How does the GEC KT77 compare with the GEC KT66 in your TRP?
I'm going to directly compare GEC KT77 to GEC KT66 black base to Mullard EL34 metal base this weekend. I really like a forward vocal sound, and I think this comes from pronounced mids. These three tubes seem to do these things very well. Overall, I'm preferring these tubes and others I've mentioned over most 6L6 in this DAC.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
It does seem like an unnecessary difficulty, but what if there is a tube you really love and you cannot wait to give it a try?
If several people with ears I trust say you need to try tube XY from the manufacturer YZ because it is so excellent, I might give it a try even if that tube needs an adapter but buying tubes and adapters on a hunch, that won't happen for me :oops:

Reactions: HungarianPal

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I'm going to directly compare GEC KT77 to GEC KT66 black base to Mullard EL34 metal base this weekend. I really like a forward vocal sound, and I think this comes from pronounced mids. These three tubes seem to do these things very well. Overall, I'm preferring these tubes and others I've mentioned over most 6L6 in this DAC.
Have a fun weekend and I'm looking forward to your findings :cool:

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Would you recommend them?
Those are the ones I have. Also works with EL11. Really enjoying these tubes in the DAC. Big bold sound with hint of warmth from Philips and RFT. A little more airy and brighter from Telefunken.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
On a different topic, getting a new umbilical for my preamp has allowed time alone with the TRP. Since getting it back from Taras after repair in January, I hadn’t taken the time to run it directly to my ATC actives from the dac’s faux XLR outs. I’m using EL51s and have rotated rectis, but mainly the 596. At low to low medium volume the sound is very clear and relaxed and modestly warm, although a bit laid back from speaker level. But as the volume goes up more, the dac feels overdriven, thickening, straining a bit. It reminds me of PS Audio’s Paul McGowan’s video comment the other day about their original preamps, which were a pot and port: very clean but not particularly robust, and lacking much bass (he says the primary reason good preamps are so expensive is to get bass). A good preamp really does make a difference.

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
On a different topic, getting a new umbilical for my preamp has allowed time alone with the TRP. Since getting it back from Taras after repair in January, I hadn’t taken the time to run it directly to my ATC actives from the dac’s faux XLR outs. I’m using EL51s and have rotated rectis, but mainly the 596. At low to low medium volume the sound is very clear and relaxed and modestly warm, although a bit laid back from speaker level. But as the volume goes up more, the dac feels overdriven, thickening, straining a bit. It reminds me of PS Audio’s Paul McGowan’s video comment the other day about their original preamps, which were a pot and port: very clean but not particularly robust, and lacking much bass (he says the primary reason good preamps are so expensive is to get bass). A good preamp really does make a difference.
I should also be getting the Supratek next month. Anything wrong with the umbilical or perhaps just getting something longer?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Experiment. I messaged Paladin79 about something he wrote on the head-fi The Reference 6SN7 Thread about the Melz 1578, and it turned out he is GM of Cables-for-Less in Indiana. I’m getting two NOS 1578s from him and he offered to build me an umbilical with silver-tinted Belden copper wire. The fun was Mick’s reaction, which I’ll message you about.

Last edited:
Those are the ones I have. Also works with EL11. Really enjoying these tubes in the DAC. Big bold sound with hint of warmth from Philips and RFT. A little more airy and brighter from Telefunken.

What rectifier are you pairing with the Mullard EL34 metal base tubes?

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Have a fun weekend and I'm looking forward to your findings :cool:
Mids magic in the EL34 metal base. That's what stands out the most to me. Vocals that really grab your attention. KT66 smoked glass black bass do everything right/nothing in particular seems to stand out. "Well rounded" I think is the term. Just plug in the KT66 when you don't want to think about the tubes. The KT77 seems to be somewhere inbetween. Not huge differences between the tubes though for me. If I was looking to change the sound signature significantly, I'd look at another DAC, preamp, amp or speakers.

Absolutely loving this DAC combined with the rest of my system. Until I hear something better :)

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
If several people with ears I trust say you need to try tube XY from the manufacturer YZ because it is so excellent, I might give it a try even if that tube needs an adapter but buying tubes and adapters on a hunch, that won't happen for me :oops:
That is by far the best strategy. Impulse buying may get you nowhere.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Hi Guys, my first post in this forum! Recently acquired a Golden Atlantic TRP. Absolutely happy so far. The DAC came with NOS Russian “winged C” 5C3S rectifier and a set of NOS Siemens EL34s. However my dealer sent me some rectifier and output tubes to try out.
Rectifier tubes:
PSVane ACME 274b,
USAF 596,
Output tubes:
PSVane 6CA7-TII,
Genalex Gold Lion KT66,
Genalex Gold Lion KT77

Overall I like the PSVane ACME 274B and I also like the KT66, seems like it has more "air" and sounds very lush and romantic. However I feel it lacks the high freq extn in my opinion. On the other hand I like the high freq extn of KT77 but it doesnt sound as romantic as the KT66.

Any others I can try before I settle down on one of these? I mostly listen to female vocals (Kat Edmonson, Stacey Kent, Diana Krall, Chantal Chamberland, Norah Jones, Jane Monheit etc. Also listen to Thelonius Monk, Art Blakey, Sonny rollins. Mid range is extremely important. Also care about the high freq extn.

setup.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing