LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
Here is my 300B amp that he built:

View attachment 57470
Beauty! Thats one beast of an amp! What are you driving with it?

Heres my OTL he built. I just did a video on his work on my YouTube channel. PM me if anyone is interested,dont wanna go too far off topic. Lampi in photo was the loaner than Fred dropped off,and sucked me into grabbing a TRP DAC of my own.

65638262_458525854944889_9076702382619885568_o.jpg

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Audeze LCD-3s.

I have an OTL from him too but I don’t listen to it very often.

Can you PM me the YouTube link?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
@adamaley - how do you like cheap Brimar?

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Reactions: adamaley

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
@Golum
Man, I've been avoiding posting because I've had a lot to digest and don't want to come off as a hysterical teenager with each tube that catches my fancy.

The Brimar, it'ss a killer tube. So far, I consider the Brimar on par with the U50 in my system. It's warmer and more engaging, still has great see throughness. It's definitely more refined than the U50 as well. Refined in the sense that it does delicacy and nuance better. For the price, it's the best buy of all tubes.

Please take my view with a grain of salt because, neither tube may be completely broken in, and before I could do so and completely compare both, the Raytheon RK60 adapter came and opened a new can of worms. Based on limited burn in for all three tubes, this is my favorite of the three. It sort of marries the virtues of both the U50 and the Brimar. It's like a warmer U50, but more laid back to allow for inflections and flutter. Soundstage is cavernous compared to both, and bass is tight and deep. Voices also sounded more real with the RK60 out it the three. It cost me slightly more than the Brimar + adapter. A great all rounder. Like a warmer 596 without the constricted images and soundstage. All this, IMHO.

This entire exercise did prove futile though. I was hell bent on finding a giant killer, cost efficient tube, that did everything, but once the U52 showed up, I couldn't take it out of the DAC, after tuning everything else to counter it's extreme warmth. And then, the 422a appeared and it was curtains for the U52.

Amazingly, not to upset anyone, but I consider all these rectifiers, RK5U4G, 596, U50, Brimar, RK60, U52, and 422 as better than the Tak rectifier IN MY SYSTEM. The gentleman I sold the Tak to loves it to death, which makes me extremely happy. I believe it would have done wonders in an amplifier.

Sadly, I couldn't find my giant killer. What the U52 and 422a bring to the table is in one word transparency. The feeling of really listening to musical instruments that are well formed. Complete control in moulding the signal into images that at least pretend to breathe. Images are humongous compared to all the others except for the Tak. They're also both significantly warmer yet surprisingly more revealing - something my Mundorf caps can appreciate. The 422a's transparency and soundstage surpass that of the U52.

I'm waiting to receive @Golum verdict between the Elrog and Acme 274Bs, after which I'd like to compare one of those to the 422a. If I'm not batshit crazy by that point, a WE274B may be the final test after selling off some of the participants.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
@Golum
Man, I've been avoiding posting because I've had a lot to digest and don't want to come off as a hysterical teenager with each tube that catches my fancy.

The Brimar, it'ss a killer tube. So far, I consider the Brimar on par with the U50 in my system. It's warmer and more engaging, still has great see throughness. It's definitely more refined than the U50 as well. Refined in the sense that it does delicacy and nuance better. For the price, it's the best buy of all tubes.

Please take my view with a grain of salt because, neither tube may be completely broken in, and before I could do so and completely compare both, the Raytheon RK60 adapter came and opened a new can of worms. Based on limited burn in for all three tubes, this is my favorite of the three. It sort of marries the virtues of both the U50 and the Brimar. It's like a warmer U50, but more laid back to allow for inflections and flutter. Soundstage is cavernous compared to both, and bass is tight and deep. Voices also sounded more real with the RK60 out it the three. It cost me slightly more than the Brimar + adapter. A great all rounder. Like a warmer 596 without the constricted images and soundstage. All this, IMHO.

This entire exercise did prove futile though. I was hell bent on finding a giant killer, cost efficient tube, that did everything, but once the U52 showed up, I couldn't take it out of the DAC, after tuning everything else to counter it's extreme warmth. And then, the 422a appeared and it was curtains for the U52.

Amazingly, not to upset anyone, but I consider all these rectifiers, RK5U4G, 596, U50, Brimar, RK60, U52, and 422 as better than the Tak rectifier IN MY SYSTEM. The gentleman I sold the Tak to loves it to death, which makes me extremely happy. I believe it would have done wonders in an amplifier.

Sadly, I couldn't find my giant killer. What the U52 and 422a bring to the table is in one word transparency. The feeling of really listening to musical instruments that are well formed. Complete control in moulding the signal into images that at least pretend to breathe. Images are humongous compared to all the others except for the Tak. They're also both significantly warmer yet surprisingly more revealing - something my Mundorf caps can appreciate. The 422a's transparency and soundstage surpass that of the U52.

I'm waiting to receive @Golum verdict between the Elrog and Acme 274Bs, after which I'd like to compare one of those to the 422a. If I'm not batshit crazy by that point, a WE274B may be the final test after selling off some of the participants.
@adamaley - really appreciate your effort to go into details of this. From my side our clash of recties is planned for last weekend in Oct and we'll have on hand Elrog, ACME Psvane, Tak, RK, but unfortunately non of your top contenders in form of 422 and U52. I've been trying to sneak U52 and U50 at least but what I found were some crazy s..t prices so I did not get them (so far)...
Was thinking how all this could be somehow sorted or classified to make sense to people so I might come up with something during long winter nights and when the kids are of me in the evenings...
Please keep us posted on some new findings...

Thanks once again!

P.S. Maybe this should be also copied to other tube rolling thread...as its a good learning

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I'm eager to hear what your findings are during your shootout. It'll be great news for us all if either of the current production rectis match up to the out of production legends.

Speaking of the U50, I bought two more U50/5Y3Gs that appeared visually similar on eBay to the Marconi variant I have. One is a National Union 5Y3G and the other is a General Electric 5Y3G. At first glance, they look the same, but differ from each other. For one, the Marconi, the smallest recitifer tube I had for the Lampi (no potato masher, SS rectis here), dwarfs the two newcomers. The Marconi and the National Union have the exact same plate structure, and mica, but the National Union has a pan getter. This in addition to the smaller bottle size makes a comparison worth it. The General Electric has a Round top mica, mica supporting rods, three holed plates (rather than the four of the other two) with the topmost holes on both sides blocked by the mica supports. It has a D-getter like the Marconi though. I'll find time to compare all three - it'll be interesting to know if the Marconi is just the swan in the bunch or if one of the other two are preferable. IMG_20191004_023018.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Golum and christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
@Golum

Thanks. Though I am not surprised they all beat out the Tak just means you listen rather than watch the price tag.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Dminches - I liken the U50 tube to the KR 242, you will need to bring the romance in from somewhere else, IMO. When you do, it's worth it.
The KR 242 are NOT known for being overly romantic themselves ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Well i for certain know that buddy tried TungSol 6550 in TRP and he “liked” them so much that he send me a pair as a gift as i use them in Ref6 power supply for something...

Are they NOS or modern production?
Have you tried them in the TRP already as well?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Are they NOS or modern production?
Have you tried them in the TRP already as well?
NOS Winged C ones...I did not try them myself...but I plan to do it soon;)

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Ever since receiving the TRP with volume control about a month ago, there's been a buzz/hum from my speakers readily audible at my 8+' listening position.

Have you tried to move the Voltage selector Switch on the back of the TRP back and forth from 110v to 230v and back to 110v again?
This obviously when powered down, even better without the power cable in the TRP!!!
I think one of my friends had a similar issue once... :oops:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
:D:p:cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

It is funny, Fabio and I (and my friend David in my system) all absolutely love the Taka recti above all the plethora of others we tried.
So it has to be System synergy and personal taste what makes our favorites.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
@Golum

Thank you very much for your extensive, elaborate and interesting write up :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
@Golum

What is also VERY important, is with what Output tubes the recti is combined ;)

There can be synergies that are sometimes unexpected:
For example according to Fabio does the Taka recti tame the outstanding new production Genalex KT77 Gold Lions and form an excellent Team in his System :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Thanks. Though I am not surprised they all beat out the Tak just means you listen rather than watch the price tag.
Trust me, I would love to find a cheaper recti that I like as much as the Taka ;):rolleyes:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing