LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Good that I already have a pair of the Brimar 6L6, thanks to a very nice person :cool:
Dammit, but is was worth a shot with those RCA 6L6 :(
Maybe they will magically work in my system :rolleyes:

Be careful the RCAs just might be knackered. It impossible to know without a tester.

Since I got my valve tester I have become aware certain eBay sellers have told outright lies about how well the valves they are selling test. Not all by any means. But some.

It's a fair risk for sellers to take as so few people own testers.

It's very tempting to take risks on old valves and feel pleased just because they work. But they can test at 20% of their new output AND STILL WORK. However, they will sound way past their best. And you have no way of knowing.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Be careful the RCAs just might be knackered. It impossible to know without a tester.

Since I got my valve tester I have become aware certain eBay sellers have told outright lies about how well the valves they are selling test. Not all by any means. But some.

It's a fair risk for sellers to take as so few people own testers.

It's very tempting to take risks on old valves and feel pleased just because they work. But they can test at 20% of their new output AND STILL WORK. However, they will sound way past their best. And you have no way of knowing.
Thank you for the warning, Justin :oops:

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
i think gz32 is a 4v recti. not sure if it works...but it did in a big 7.
Hmmm...Perhaps you know better than I but I thought the GZ32 was a 5 volt? Its okay I already picked up a bass heavy,warm rectifier in the Brimar that was noted a few posts above.

It supplied too much bass to my GOTL with the Ken Rad VT231 in place. I have a pair of Sylvania VT-135s (12J5GTs) in bound. Perhaps that will sound good with the Brimar.

EDIT: The Ken Rad and sylvanias are for my headphone amp,not the TRP!

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
So Elrog today...tried it only with GEC and to me sounded bit darker and leaner than RK and ACME.
Did not go into any details as was not into playing with this but anyhow we’ll have a quite big clash this weekend with Tak, ACME, Elrog, 596, RK, at Fabios place and after this one at least from this batch of tubes we could make some conclusions. Ah yes, got also the GEC u50 today so we might try that one as well..just to spice things up...
84D1E67B-40D4-41DB-B7D9-ED7B8B313B1F.jpeg D70A892C-82DD-49B7-B380-DC0D56817952.jpeg

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
So Elrog today...tried it only with GEC and to me sounded bit darker and leaner than RK and ACME.
Did not go into any details as was not into playing with this but anyhow we’ll have a quite big clash this weekend with Tak, ACME, Elrog, 596, RK, at Fabios place and after this one at least from this batch of tubes we could make some conclusions. Ah yes, got also the GEC u50 today so we might try that one as well..just to spice things up...
View attachment 57999 View attachment 58000
Wow, how cool is that? :eek:
I mean that very broad variety of excellent tubes :cool:
Dammit. I would LOVE to join that event :oops:

Reactions: ihmeyers and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
1)Wow, how cool is that? :eek:
2)Dammit. I would LOVE to join that event :oops:
1) Very cool as I’m cool ;)
2) Well you’ve been invited, but as you prefer spending time watching some old fart playing strange sport you’re missing uber fun :cool::p

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
View attachment 57999 View attachment 58000

Good stuff. Are you able to take pics of the inner structure of the GEC U50? I'm interested in seeing how it compares in structure to the Marconi, GE, and National Union variants.

Excited for the showdown.

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hope you can see something...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 13

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I can't see the getter. Can you tell me what shape it is?
Seems to me it's the same as your GE (The General Electric has a Round top mica, mica supporting rods, three holed plates (rather than the four of the other two) with the topmost holes on both sides blocked by the mica supports. It has a D-getter like the Marconi though)....

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Seems to me it's the same as your GE (The General Electric has a Round top mica, mica supporting rods, three holed plates (rather than the four of the other two) with the topmost holes on both sides blocked by the mica supports. It has a D-getter like the Marconi though)....
Great. I'm really enjoying that tube now. It's very similar to the Brimar but less warm and has the most pronounced mid-range of all the rectifiers I've tried.

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
Ok, new member and I would like to thank all of you for the info, opinions and know how that each of you have shared in this forum. I hold all of you responsible for costing me thousands but also in providing me with one of the most enjoyable new pieces of gear I've acquired. I am now the proud owner of a Golden Atlantic TRP, single ended with volume control. Purchased from Fred at Lampizator NA a few weeks back and he has been very helpful and accomodating in this process. Thx Fred!

So during the past few weeks I have been auditioning new single ended cables. The TRP replaces a Meitner MA-1 which I have run with balanced Sablon interconnects to my Pass XP30 pre and XA60.5 amps for years. Now running direct to amps! Fantastic stuff! Coming out on top currently are the Shunyata Alpha IC's. This weekend receiving the Shunyata Sigma's along with Synergistic Atmosphere X levels 2 and 3. Fred may also send me his Final Touch Ganymede for my trials. I will also try Sablon at some point. Does anyone have any other suggestions on IC's that seem to bring out the best with the TRP?

Once the cable situation is worked out, the tube process will begin. So @Golum, I am interested to hear how your extended shoot out went with the RK vs. Acme recti's. Well, enough for now. Hope I can contribute some meaningful data at a later time. Cheers to all!

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Ok, new member and I would like to thank all of you for the info, opinions and know how that each of you have shared in this forum. I hold all of you responsible for costing me thousands but also in providing me with one of the most enjoyable new pieces of gear I've acquired. I am now the proud owner of a Golden Atlantic TRP, single ended with volume control. Purchased from Fred at Lampizator NA a few weeks back and he has been very helpful and accomodating in this process. Thx Fred!

So during the past few weeks I have been auditioning new single ended cables. The TRP replaces a Meitner MA-1 which I have run with balanced Sablon interconnects to my Pass XP30 pre and XA60.5 amps for years. Now running direct to amps! Fantastic stuff! Coming out on top currently are the Shunyata Alpha IC's. This weekend receiving the Shunyata Sigma's along with Synergistic Atmosphere X levels 2 and 3. Fred may also send me his Final Touch Ganymede for my trials. I will also try Sablon at some point. Does anyone have any other suggestions on IC's that seem to bring out the best with the TRP?

Once the cable situation is worked out, the tube process will begin. So @Golum, I am interested to hear how your extended shoot out went with the RK vs. Acme recti's. Well, enough for now. Hope I can contribute some meaningful data at a later time. Cheers to all!
Welcome to the forum. When it comes to cables you'll receive a plethora of suggestions. I run Sablon cabling throughout. Admittedly, a mishmash of different levels of his cables but top of the line regarding signal cables. The Sablon Bocchino interconnects are sublime and end game IMO. Best of luck.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
Welcome to the forum. When it comes to cables you'll receive a plethora of suggestions. I run Sablon cabling throughout. Admittedly, a mishmash of different levels of his cables but top of the line regarding signal cables. The Sablon Bocchino interconnects are sublime and end game IMO. Best of luck.

My xlr ic's are the Panatela Reserva with the Oyaide connectors. Love them in my previous setup. Speaker cables are the Panatela Reserva spades and they are staying. Overall presentation is the best I have found with my speakers and amps. Thx for sharing.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
My xlr ic's are the Panatela Reserva with the Oyaide connectors. Love them in my previous setup. Speaker cables are the Panatela Reserva spades and they are staying. Overall presentation is the best I have found with my speakers and amps. Thx for sharing.
My ICs are single ended Sablon Bocchino. Since you love the Reservas, the Bocchinos may be up your alley, with improved performance.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Hi Ed!
Nice to have you here among the "crazy ones" :D and I'm glad you're enjoying your TRP.
ICs wise - your list is quite extensive and I'm more than sure you'll find the one which fits your taste best within those.
RK vs ACME - to be honest I prefer the ACME as its somehow smoother/calmer and brings the best out of bigger/wider range of output tubes. Several output ones sounded a bit off with RK while with ACME they were splendid. But again if your system is a bit slow in general, RK might just bring fw what you need and vice versa. ACME also compared to Takatsuki 274b and it was not far behind at all. But wait for @adamaley to give his opinion as well, as I believe he has wider choice of tubes at his place and might bring some additional light on ACME vs rest.

Anyhow enjoy your new toy!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed_K

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
Hi Ed!
Nice to have you here among the "crazy ones" :D and I'm glad you're enjoying your TRP.
ICs wise - your list is quite extensive and I'm more than sure you'll find the one which fits your taste best within those.
RK vs ACME - to be honest I prefer the ACME as its somehow smoother/calmer and brings the best out of bigger/wider range of output tubes. Several output ones sounded a bit off with RK while with ACME they were splendid. But again if you system is a bit slow in general RK might just bring fw what you need and vice versa. ACME also compared to Takatsuki 274b and it was not far behind at all. But way for @adamaley to give his opinion as well a I believe he has wider choice at his place and might bring some additional light on ACME vs rest.

Anyhow enjoy your new toy!
Thanks, Appreciate the help. Like you and others, I will probably end up with both of these...and others. Start by getting the Acme since it is a bit more reasonable $$. Also plan on getting the Gold Lion KT77. That should be a good starting point. Currently using 5U3C and EH6CA7 that were supplied with the TRP. Will share my input when I have some. Cheers
Ed

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Thanks, Appreciate the help. Like you and others, I will probably end up with both of these...and others. Start by getting the Acme since it is a bit more reasonable $$. Also plan on getting the Gold Lion KT77. That should be a good starting point. Currently using 5U3C and EH6CA7 that were supplied with the TRP. Will share my input when I have some. Cheers
Ed
Sounds like a very solid plan and probably the one you'll stick to. OK, GEC KT66 is also a tube to have with TRP. ;)

Reactions: christoph

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
How solid does the TRP feel when changing tubes? I remember when I first inserted tubes into the Atlantic it felt very "springy" as the tubes are being inserted into a PCB board. This would annoy me if I was tube rolling, but I lived with this in the first Atlantic, as the only tube you roll with that is the rectifier.

With my other tube gear, the tubes are inserted into a solid base/platform. Is the design of the TRP different to the first version of the Atlantic, or are the tubes still being inserted into a PCB board?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing