LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
Got my pair from a guy on Ebay for $70. I think he was in Indiana. There are several sellers showing the GEC KT66 but I really don't know what to look for. Seems like there are many different variations. Got my Psvane 274B recti from Grant Fidelity. Got their top 10% tested variation.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thanks for the write -up, where do you guys source your GEC KT 66 or KT77 ?
has anyone here tried the re-issue one or the non-noS KT66 or KT88 :
https://www.vivatubes.com/brand-new...-kt77-kt-77-vacuum-tube-plate-current-tested/

Those new production Genalex KT77 Gold Lions are a complete no-brainer, according to your link, a matched pair costs the ridiculous sum of a measly 75 bucks.
The NOS GEC KT66 are around 400 to 500 bucks a pair and you don't really know what you get if you can not measure them, or have a very trusted source that measured them...

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Thanks for the info Christoph, appreciate it!
Ed
You are very welcome
The Genalex KT77 Gold Lions in combination with the ACME 274b recti make a very affordable dream combo :cool:

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
You are very welcome
The Genalex KT77 Gold Lions in combination with the ACME 274b recti make a very affordable dream combo :cool:
I have the KT77s and really like their detailed open sound. What does the Acme 274 add to the equation,and where can I find one at a decent price? eBay prices are all over the map.

Reactions: christoph

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
Congrats on your new TRP. It is an awesome little music machine :cool:
What tube complement are you using atm?

What DAC did you have before?

So far, I am just using the stock tubes: KR5U4G, Siemens EL34. However, I do have Gold Lion KT66 and Electro-Harmonix 6CA7, and CV717 5R4G NOS Haltron Twin Disc Getters in waiting.

I had the Atlantic+.

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
I have the KT77s and really like their detailed open sound. What does the Acme 274 add to the equation,and where can I find one at a decent price? eBay prices are all over the map.

If your in North America, I got my 274B from Grant Fidelity in Canada. I think they may be an importer for Psvane. Can’t recall what the stock recti was that came with my trp. Out of town, so can’t look at it. I went for their optional “top10%” 274’s. For me, it added more life to the overall presentation. Better bass, open, airy highs, wider soundstage. I’m not satisfied yet with the mids. This recti changes everyday. It has gotten better since first put in. I was disappointed at first but it is slowly coming around. Have maybe 80 hours of on time since I got it on 12/26. If you do order from them, don’t waste money on their expedited shipping. Gets you a tracking number but Still took 10 days to get to me. Hope this helps!
Ed

Reactions: Monsterzero

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
If your in North America, I got my 274B from Grant Fidelity in Canada. I think they may be an importer for Psvane. Can’t recall what the stock recti was that came with my trp. Out of town, so can’t look at it. I went for their optional “top10%” 274’s. For me, it added more life to the overall presentation. Better bass, open, airy highs, wider soundstage. I’m not satisfied yet with the mids. This recti changes everyday. It has gotten better since first put in. I was disappointed at first but it is slowly coming around. Have maybe 80 hours of on time since I got it on 12/26. If you do order from them, don’t waste money on their expedited shipping. Gets you a tracking number but Still took 10 days to get to me. Hope this helps!
Ed
Did you go for the WE replica or the other? Has anyone tried the WE replica,and is it worth the $495.00 ?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks for the write -up, where do you guys source your GEC KT 66 or KT77 ?
has anyone here tried the re-issue one or the non-noS KT66 or KT88 :
https://www.vivatubes.com/brand-new...-kt77-kt-77-vacuum-tube-plate-current-tested/

For an Atlantic TRP, I got my close pair of GEC KT66's off eBay,. A UK vintage gear dealer with some old Quad amps NOS stock was selling them for about 89/99 GBP a few months back. Fantastic price, as they go these days. Should have bought a spare pair. Sound great, just as Fabio described. Mine were clear, but supposedly the grey glass ones sound a touch better, perhaps because they were military stock, hence the cream of the crop. In addition to looking at tube sites, especially UK ones -- PM me for a list -- watch HiFi Shark listings. Some UK tube dealers sell on ebay only. For a recti, I tried a number of well-reputed tubes, short of the highest end ones, and ended up with an Osram U50, which are not easy to find. Great clarity and a bit warmer than the rest.

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
Those new production Genalex KT77 Gold Lions are a complete no-brainer, according to your link, a matched pair costs the ridiculous sum of a measly 75 bucks.
The NOS GEC KT66 are around 400 to 500 bucks a pair and you don't really know what you get if you can not measure them, or have a very trusted source that measured them...

Thanks for the clarification Chrisophe, I'm happy to know that the GEC KT77 Gold lions you guys are referring to are nOT THE UK made ones that cost $500 / pair...
Makes life easier with those $75/ pair...
Thank you!

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I got the Acme Supreme not the WE replica. Figured that was a good starting point based on testing by others on this forum.

$495? Unless I misunderstand, for a single WE274B replica I see $219 + shipping at Grant Fidelity. That should get you the best of the bunch. Looking around, they go for a lot less elsewhere, although where in the quality continuum the tube one gets is more hit and miss. Someone turned me onto the Shuguang WE6SN7 replicas from a Chinese vendor for his Supratek preamp, saying they sounded fantastic, so one never knows (mine will be here soon, but the preamp won't for a couple of months).

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
$495? Unless I misunderstand, for a single WE274B replica I see $219 + shipping at Grant Fidelity. That should get you the best of the bunch. Looking around, they go for a lot less elsewhere, although where in the quality continuum the tube one gets is more hit and miss. Someone turned me onto the Shuguang WE6SN7 replicas from a Chinese vendor for his Supratek preamp, saying they sounded fantastic, so one never knows (mine will be here soon, but the preamp won't for a couple of months).

EDIT...my bad,the 425.00 is for a pair. Single is cheaper,.

Last edited:

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
So far, I am just using the stock tubes: KR5U4G, Siemens EL34. However, I do have Gold Lion KT66 and Electro-Harmonix 6CA7, and CV717 5R4G

NOS Haltron Twin Disc Getters in waiting.

I had the Atlantic+.

How are the stock Siemens el34 vs the gold lion kt66 or kt77 ?

Which of those are more musical ?? Fuller sounding ?

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
For an Atlantic TRP, I got my close pair of GEC KT66's off eBay,. A UK vintage gear dealer with some old Quad amps NOS stock was selling them for about 89/99 GBP a few months back. Fantastic price, as they go these days. Should have bought a spare pair. Sound great, just as Fabio described. Mine were clear, but supposedly the grey glass ones sound a touch better, perhaps because they were military stock, hence the cream of the crop. In addition to looking at tube sites, especially UK ones -- PM me for a list -- watch HiFi Shark listings. Some UK tube dealers sell on ebay only. For a recti, I tried a number of well-reputed tubes, short of the highest end ones, and ended up with an Osram U50, which are not easy to find. Great clarity and a bit warmer than the rest.

The GEC KT66 black base, smoked glass are earlier tubes. They also have internal black plates. These are some of my favorite tubes. A few pages back I posted some of the earlier tubes, including the larger shaped wartime KT66 which are indeed military. You might not notice a sound difference with these tubes, but collectors certainly notice the rarity. I too have purchased most of my KT66 from UK dealers, and also Germany and North America.

Here's a pair from 1952:

IMG_4120.JPG IMG_4121.JPG

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
So far, I am just using the stock tubes: KR5U4G, Siemens EL34. However, I do have Gold Lion KT66 and Electro-Harmonix 6CA7, and CV717 5R4G NOS Haltron Twin Disc Getters in waiting.

I had the Atlantic+.
Your Stock tubes are very good!
But still let us know how your other tubes fare.
After the KT77 Genalex Gold Lions are excellent, I wonder how good the KT66 Genalex Gold Lions are myself...

Reactions: findog

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
What is your current recti so I can compare?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
How are the stock Siemens el34 vs the gold lion kt66 or kt77 ?

Which of those are more musical ?? Fuller sounding ?
The Siemens EL34 as well as the KT77 Gold Lion are excellent.
I haven't heard the KT66 Gold Lions, though...

Reactions: newbiecapri

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019

That is one thing nice about the Atlantic TRP- its more affordable to tube roll it vs the Lampi that uses DHT tubes..
Anyone here tried using KT88 tubes on the TRP dac ?

als0- if the tubes are NOT matched pair, does it cause a sound imbalance where one channel is not as strong sounding as the other ??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing