LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
@christoph I did see where there are GEC KT77 that were made but like KT66, they are very expensive.
Thank you for the info :cool:
The GEC KT66 also can be found for WAAYYY les than the almost 800 Euro from fbs' link :rolleyes:
The smoked ones in Switzerland from Norman's link look like the deal of the century compared to that :eek:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Reactions: Ed_K

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
- seems to be a good number of sellers of 66’s out of India, still greater than us$500
- on the link u posted, later today I’ll have to figure what US$’s are. I’m golfing right now. :)
The Swiss Franc is about 1 to 1 relative to the US$.
Enjoy the golfing. Here it rains at 5° centigrade. Yuck :(

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
The new production Gold Lions are probably (amongst?) the best new production tubes out there as far as we compared KT66/KT88 but not even close to the GEC KT66.

@leftside
Is there a NOS GEC KT77 at all or are there other recommendable KT77 tubes that clearly better the cheap but excellent KT77 Gold Lions?
There are GEC KT77. I have a well used pair.

Reactions: christoph and Ed_K

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Reactions: christoph and Ed_K

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
In my TRP, I like the GEC KT66 much more than the Gold Lion KT77. This is with a KR white base 5U4G. I've ordered an Acme 274B; perhaps that will change my opinion. I'd like to try a pair of GEC KT77s, but they are even harder to find and more expensive than KT66s.

Reactions: Ed_K and christoph

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
I know it might be hard to estimate,but if one leaves their TRP on for 16 hours per day,seven days per week,how long should one expect the tubes to survive?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Taking into account 365 days I assume recti would be ready for a change or even few of them replaced as they work in 100% regime but output ones I would not worry that much as they are not stressed at all...but as you said - just a wild wild guess...

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
Still thinking about it and keeping my options open but the less inexpensive tube options seems more attractive at this time being .. will see ..

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
There are GEC KT77. I have a well used pair.
And how do you like the sound of the GEC KT77 compared to the GEC KT66 and the current production Genalex KT77 Gold Lions?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
1958 smoked glass = desirable for sure. Not quite sure when they switched from black base to brown base, but it would have been early/mid 1950's. Great price as long as they are NOS/test well.
Thank you very much!
Which one is sounding better?
The smoked glass Marconi KT66 or the smoked glass GEC KT66?
Pity there are no measurements on both offerings, so I must assume they are heavily used :confused:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have VAC power amp and the choice of tubes The manufacturer uses is the KT88 GOLD Lion.
The Shuguang KT88s were pretty good too but they are not as durable as the Gold Lion KT88.
Anyone here tried PS Vane EL34 tubes on the GA TRP2 ?
I have two pairs of pa vane el 34 i felt the brass base ones were best of all the trp rubes I own bjt this is my view

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I don’t think one tube fits all Systems here. Although some tubes clearly our class others Norman picked out a few pairs for me. He loves spending others money and very good at it too. He finds the best for buck. A really good bud and excellent finder too.
We do need to consider while the trp rolls tubes very well. An amp or preamp is made for the Purpose of one type tube this makes it sound as they want. So I a trp roll off or may not be the same winner

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Thank you very much!
Which one is sounding better?
The smoked glass Marconi KT66 or the smoked glass GEC KT66?
Pity there are no measurements on both offerings, so I must assume they are heavily used :confused:
I'm not sure. All I know is Marconi and GEC are the same company :) Also Osram and MWT.

I have a slight preference for the earlier black base, smoked glass, but anything from GEC from the 1940's - 1960's is when GEC were considered to be in their prime. It's just usually "earlier is considered better" when it comes to the old tubes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing