LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Reactions: leftside

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Rip off, yes, however, there are not many of these available on-line. $350 per tube, I did not find cheaper.
Usually come up quite often on eBay from reputable sellers for far cheaper. I posted one link above.

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Maybe of interest to those who like the earlier EL34 and related tubes:

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Finally got around to trying an old pair of GEC KT88 from the 1950's. These tubes are very clear sounding with a very wide soundstage.

Also tried a Philips EL51. I think I slightly prefer these to the Tesla. Just as hard hitting, but slightly warmer.

A close relation to the EL51, a EL50/4654 are my current favorites. There's a good description of these tubes here:

IMG_5774.jpg thumbnail_Philips Miniwatt EL51.jpg IMG_5765.jpg IMG_5612.jpg

Reactions: christoph and Golum

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
Do these EL50s need the same adapters as the EL51s? Looks so.
Finally got around to trying an old pair of GEC KT88 from the 1950's. These tubes are very clear sounding with a very wide soundstage.

Also tried a Philips EL51. I think I slightly prefer these to the Tesla. Just as hard hitting, but slightly warmer.

A close relation to the EL51, a EL50/4654 are my current favorites.

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Do these EL50s need the same adapters as the EL51s? Looks so.
I believe you can use the same adapters, but double check with the adapter makers. I definitely used an EL50 in an EL51 adapter by mistake and all worked fine and nothing blew! I have both adapters, which is probably an unnecessary expense, but like I said double check with a tube adapter maker.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
A close relation to the EL51, a EL50/4654 are my current favorites. There's a good description of these tubes here:
Thanks for the link. It is indeed a good description.
Distortion without feedback at 400V:
EL34 - will give 45 Watt at 6% distortion
EL50 - will give 48 Watt at 2.5% distortion

Reactions: leftside

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Hi guys

so my DAC reached Poland finally !

it was held by customs for 5 days. Got an email from one of their tech guys:

any thoughts on if I should convert my DAC to r2r ? Is r2r better or worse than the engine that comes with ga trp?

F10C4E62-5D17-4B79-BC80-B2A737FD7C6C.png

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
R2R limits tube rolling, doesn’t it? Back when I picked up a used Atlantic to upgrade, I remember that NA Lampi Rob said he preferred the sound of the R2R over the TRP. So the question is not just about DSD, but also about the underlying sound and choosing if one wants the potential variability of sound or not via tube rolling. How can one tell without having them side by side, or perhaps having a comparative review or two from someone whose ears and terminology one trusts and understands? And then there’s resale value down the line: the whole point of the new version was, per the name, tube rolling. What a can of worms that’s been opened!

Reactions: perfusionist

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
I totally agree. I’d be concerned to switch if it doesn’t permit tube rolling.
However I noticed that the r2r was the engine that was present in premium flagship lampis earlier.
Anyone here has done a comparison ?

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Actually Andrzej from lampizator confirmed that there are no limits to tube rolling with r2r. I am considering switching it if there are no big downsides or deal breakers

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Yes big can of worms that has been opened. I’ll be following with interest. I have both DACs and had them side by side for a day in my living room. The TRP Atlantic ended up going upstairs to my dedicated music listening room, and the R2R Atlantic stayed downstairs in the living room. Plenty has been written on here about the differences. I really like the R2R but the TRP is exceptional.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
@leftside In other words you are saying you like the trp engine (newer) better than r2r. Is that right? Would you say the difference is huge or subtle? Was it discussed on this same thread?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Actually Andrzej from lampizator confirmed that there are no limits to tube rolling with r2r. I am considering switching it if there are no big downsides or deal breakers

I am under the impression that R2R eliminates the rectifier tube. Not true?

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
I am under the impression that R2R eliminates the rectifier tube. Not true?

I don’t think so. This is what I heard from him:

“R2R has higher signal level by ca 60% which makes signal/noise ratio better. Another advantage is O DC voltage which allows to eliminate interstage caps before the tubes. “

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Sorry guys but I think you are mixing up things here :eek:
The TRP can have different digital engines like the r2r or the e53 or the older 54something engine and this does NOT limit the TRPs tube rolling capabilities!

I think you are assuming, that the R2R IS the Atlantic but it is just the digital engine that can sit in any of the DACs, except the Pacific that incorporates the e57 engine exclusively

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Yes big can of worms that has been opened. I’ll be following with interest. I have both DACs and had them side by side for a day in my living room. The TRP Atlantic ended up going upstairs to my dedicated music listening room, and the R2R Atlantic stayed downstairs in the living room. Plenty has been written on here about the differences. I really like the R2R but the TRP is exceptional.
You do have a regular Atlantic Plus (4P1L tubes only) with the R2R engine and an Atlantic TRP with the e53 engine and full tube rolling possibilities with pentodes EL34/KT66/77/88 ans so forth, correct?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Thanks for the link. It is indeed a good description.
Distortion without feedback at 400V:
EL34 - will give 45 Watt at 6% distortion
EL50 - will give 48 Watt at 2.5% distortion
Yes.. in class B at 1000v no way in class A or AB for guitar amp cool
not for highclass audio sorry. A EL 60 TUBE is the predecessor of the El 34
EL60 again has a new 25 W power end pentode, now in all-glass technology and the 9-pin "key" (Loktal) base like the EF50. However, this found little acceptance, so that after a year it was provided with an octal socket and then appeared as the EL34.
el60_099r.jpg
Happy Tuberolling ;)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing