LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
I believe you can use the same adapters, but double check with the adapter makers. I definitely used an EL50 in an EL51 adapter by mistake and all worked fine and nothing blew! I have both adapters, which is probably an unnecessary expense, but like I said double check with a tube adapter maker.
I bought an extra adapter for my EL50. A guy from China sells it on ebay.

Reactions: leftside

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Hi guys

Finally received my DAC from Poland. Also received the i2s cable from revelation audio. The cable was 25 cm only and thick. Thank god, the alignment ended up being perfect so I didn’t have to twist anything.
Set it up real quick and everything seemed to work well. Will do some critical listening after a couple of days of burn-in I guess.

here are some pics:

9F6AC8F9-3349-48B1-A978-6DCC557F274B.jpeg 873D669C-646F-429F-A894-A5E3D595F4AF.jpeg BF37687D-F1B7-4FC2-AED1-500881B1DC1B.jpeg 4840F365-C684-4EDC-9BE8-0DD0A714DA14.jpeg

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Hi Guys, still breaking the new / old DAC in. Sound stage is amazing (the biggest difference I noticed so far). However I am noticing the bass response is as good as before. I replaced my output caps to the new copper caps. Could that be a reason why this is happening ? May be it will get better with break in? any thoughts?

Reactions: christoph

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I replaced my output caps to the new copper caps. Could that be a reason why this is happening ? May be it will get better with break in? any thoughts?
Those copper foil caps (Miflex) take a lot of time to sattle in (100+h) but once they do its music, so be patient - all will be fine;):cool:

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
Greetings all. Long time no post.

My LDMS server finally arrived today, months behind because of Covid & Brexit (Lucas just couldn't get parts but that has been resolved.) It was worth the wait. It's about 95% set-up, we could get the re-clocked output to work with my FTA Calisto into the new Lampi (JL) USB board. The JL board worked fine with the USB out from my Lumin and is OK with the non-reclocked output from the LDMS but no go from the re-clocked output. Lucas has seen this before with the JL board (not just with Lampi DACs) and usually a different USB cable does the trick. I didn't have one handy so he's sending me a demo cable and we'll take another shot at it.

As is, the LDMS sounds wonderful, definitely worth the time it took to build it. Remember, Lucas builds every single one of the custom, both hardware and software. He's a craftsman and that can take time to get right. Very happy with the purchase. A special thanks to Golum who was a HUGE help with this from start to finish. I was afraid I was driving him crazy and I am very happy he is still speaking to me. ;)

A few pictures below. In advance of questions, yes the system is in a very small room. Long story short, I bought a pair of PHY driver speakers to build an SET system in my 12x12 office just to have some fun with. I bought a Lumin T-2 and used that to stream while my main system had PS Audio DAC/Transport. I sold those last year so main system isn't in use right now. I will combine everything when I eventually move. Maker Reference amp / Hansen Princes in front half of room, Wall Audio SETs/Tonian Phy speakers in other half. All using LDMS as source and going through NAT preamp.

Attachments

• 20210316_174621.jpg
    20210316_174621.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210316_174425.jpg
    20210316_174425.jpg
    696.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210316_174417.jpg
    20210316_174417.jpg
    766 KB · Views: 21

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I was afraid I was driving him crazy and I am very happy he is still speaking to me. ;)
Always my friend!
Glad you initially like the LDMS and after you resolve the re-clocker output it will be a blast.
BTW - just for the reference - its not up to Callisto for this "glitch" as many are using it and it works fine..just the entire combo is sometimes finicky but I'm sure LD will solve it.

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
Greetings all. Long time no post.

My LDMS server finally arrived today, months behind because of Covid & Brexit (Lucas just couldn't get parts but that has been resolved.) It was worth the wait. It's about 95% set-up, we could get the re-clocked output to work with my FTA Calisto into the new Lampi (JL) USB board. The JL board worked fine with the USB out from my Lumin and is OK with the non-reclocked output from the LDMS but no go from the re-clocked output. Lucas has seen this before with the JL board (not just with Lampi DACs) and usually a different USB cable does the trick. I didn't have one handy so he's sending me a demo cable and we'll take another shot at it.

As is, the LDMS sounds wonderful, definitely worth the time it took to build it. Remember, Lucas builds every single one of the custom, both hardware and software. He's a craftsman and that can take time to get right. Very happy with the purchase. A special thanks to Golum who was a HUGE help with this from start to finish. I was afraid I was driving him crazy and I am very happy he is still speaking to me. ;)

A few pictures below. In advance of questions, yes the system is in a very small room. Long story short, I bought a pair of PHY driver speakers to build an SET system in my 12x12 office just to have some fun with. I bought a Lumin T-2 and used that to stream while my main system had PS Audio DAC/Transport. I sold those last year so main system isn't in use right now. I will combine everything when I eventually move. Maker Reference amp / Hansen Princes in front half of room, Wall Audio SETs/Tonian Phy speakers in other half. All using LDMS as source and going through NAT preamp.
Had the same USB issue at my place. Think LD will find a solution after a while of playing brain games... Communication between LDMS + Ideon Master + TRP works perfect now with FTA Callisto.

Last edited:

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Been enjoying this Italian combo a lot lately. Philips 4699 and a bit of warmth and weight. Fivre double d getter 5R4GY.

4F3A66B6-4DDC-43F4-B5ED-656C21FE91C4.jpeg

Reactions: Golum and christoph

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
Had the same USB issue at my place. Think LD will find a solution after a while of playing brain games... Communication between LDMS + Ideon Master + TRP works perfect now with FTA Callisto.
Lucas D. fixed it yesterday. He changed the buffer settings on the JL firmware and the Callisto cable connected to the reclock output started feeding data perfectly to the TRP. I can't really tell at this point how much better it is. LD said it will "dig deeper" into the music using the reclocked output. I still need a few more days of break-in.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Lucas D. fixed it yesterday. He changed the buffer settings on the JL firmware and the Callisto cable connected to the reclock output started feeding data perfectly to the TRP. I can't really tell at this point how much better it is. LD said it will "dig deeper" into the music using the reclocked output. I still need a few more days of break-in.
LD is awesome :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Been enjoying this Italian combo a lot lately. Philips 4699 and a bit of warmth and weight. Fivre double d getter 5R4GY.
Isn't Philips Dutch?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Fivre kicks a.s...

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Which Fivre do you have? Trab and I had a private conversation last fall about the three versions, after I got one that sounded fantastic in many ways, but not so good up top. I’ve copied what he said below. I’m now using a WWII RCA 5R4GY w/ double getters, which is as good as Stateside tube dealers claim and very much not the lush, euphonic post-WWII sound RCA developed. I didn’t say anything here at the time about what Trab said to see if I could grab the better one first, but sellers, mainly an Italian one, were and still are asking collectors prices, so I let it go. Here are Trab’s thoughts:

“in my collection I have 3 types of Fivre 5R4GY.
1. Brown base, grey anode, double D getter
2. black base, grey anode, double D getter
3. Brown base, black anode, double D getter - almost similar to Brimar double O getter, could be made at Brimar and branded Fivre.Tube with grey anode have delicate, lighter sound with colorfull tone.
Tubes number 2 and 3 are more edgy sounding, with a solid grip on the bass. The bass is a bit stronger.
Tube with grey anode and brown base can better differentiate all tones, like it would have more colours on the palette.
1 tube sound is unique, differs more than the sound of the tube 2 and 3.
Of course the differences are sublime.”

P.S. I’ve currently got my Callisto USB cable up for sale on Audiomart, for anyone interested, especially in North America (or PM for details).

Last edited:

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Isn't Philips Dutch?
Yes Philips are a Dutch company, but they had factories all over the world. They were also the parent company of Mullard. Also, companies like Valvo would brand Philips made tubes. The codes on the tubes (if they have them) always give away the actuak manufacturer of the tube.

I cannot tell where these 4699 tubes were actually made as they don't have any identification marks, but my guess would be Eindhoven in Holland and then exported to Italy.

Reactions: christoph

leftside

Jan 22, 2018

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Which Fivre do you have? Trab and I had a private conversation last fall about the three versions, after I got one that sounded fantastic in many ways, but not so good up top. I’ve copied what he said below. I’m now using a WWII RCA 5R4GY w/ double getters, which is as good as Stateside tube dealers claim and very much not the lush, euphonic post-WWII sound RCA developed. I didn’t say anything here at the time about what Trab said to see if I could grab the better one first, but sellers, mainly an Italian one, were and still are asking collectors prices, so I let it go. Here are Trab’s thoughts:

“in my collection I have 3 types of Fivre 5R4GY.
1. Brown base, grey anode, double D getter
2. black base, grey anode, double D getter
3. Brown base, black anode, double D getter - almost similar to Brimar double O getter, could be made at Brimar and branded Fivre.Tube with grey anode have delicate, lighter sound with colorfull tone.
Tubes number 2 and 3 are more edgy sounding, with a solid grip on the bass. The bass is a bit stronger.
Tube with grey anode and brown base can better differentiate all tones, like it would have more colours on the palette.
1 tube sound is unique, differs more than the sound of the tube 2 and 3.
Of course the differences are sublime.”

P.S. I’ve currently got my Callisto USB cable up for sale on Audiomart, for anyone interested, especially in North America (or PM for details).
Thanks for that info. Very useful.

I have many tubes in my audio chain, and I'll be honest and say I don't hear too many differences when I change a single rectifier in the chain. But, if pushed I will say the Fivre is more airy compared to say a warmer Cossor 53KU ST.

I have double d getter Fivre black and brown base. I'll check the plates, but I think they are grey.

I thought it was the single D getter Fivre you were looking for? I couldn't find any of those.

Reactions: findog

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
The mention of SICTE got me curious. I don't know if SICTE is a legal name for a type of Italian company, but I can't find it in conjunction with Fivre anywhere except in one eBay seller's ad. And to my question to him about it and the early 1950s SICTE Fivre tube he's selling for good bucks, he responded that it was actually another company with the name SICTE that produced tubes for a few others, including Fivre. The only SICTE I can find otherwise is SICTE, Pavia, which was apparently formed in the late 1950s or 1960 by retired Fivre execs. At least after the war years, I’ve read that Fivre collaborated on design or had a license with RCA. Before that, I do recall reading that Fivre tubes were their own design, presumably before and during the War. The available history in English is incomplete.

@leftside -- No, I was interested in #1 on Trab's list. I hope that didn't lead to a false negative in your search. There are a few of these out there, but priced awfully dear. The 1945 RCA I picked up, which is as good as I've heard in my Supratek pre, was $60.

The Callisto is sold.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing