LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Philips had a factory in Italy/Monza, close to Milan. These tubes were of Dutch Philips design.

Another Italian tube manufacturer is ATES. Azienda Tecnica Electronica del Sud. These tubes are good as well, if you can find them. Produced tubes under RCA license.

The Fivre factory was in Pavia, south of Milan. Fabbrica Italiana Valvole Radio Elettronici.

Sicte: Societa Itiliana Construnzione Tubi Elettronici. Also great tubes. Factory was also in Pavia.

Many of the Italian tubes have a tax sticker on them. Tubes for the army got these stickers to signify they were free of any tax.

• Love
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Philips had a factory in Italy/Monza, close to Milan. These tubes were of Dutch Philips design.

Another Italian tube manufacturer is ATES. Azienda Tecnica Electronica del Sud. These tubes are good as well, if you can find them. Produced tubes under RCA license.

The Fivre factory was in Pavia, south of Milan. Fabbrica Italiana Valvole Radio Elettronici.

Sicte: Societa Itiliana Construnzione Tubi Elettronici. Also great tubes. Factory was also in Pavia.

Many of the Italian tubes have a tax sticker on them. Tubes for the army got these stickers to signify they were free of any tax.
I didn't know about the Philips factory in Italy.

Thanks for those very interesting historical pieces of information :cool:

Reactions: leftside

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
Finally got my Lampi integrated into the main system. Amp is solid state, pre amp tubed. Trying to find the right balance of tubes. The EL51s have the most slam but are a little bit gritty in the mid range. The PSVanes are beautiful through the mid-range but are a little too soft in the base. Makes it sound like I need a sub and one thing the Hansen Princes have is sufficient bass. I've got some more output tubes I can try, Gold Lion KT 66s, Fivre 6L6G, GEC KY 66s, Brimar 6L6G. Right now the Takatsuki rectifier sounds best of what I have (Kron Anniversary and Shu Guang).

20210327_194656.jpg

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Is that a massive volcano vaporizer on the right :) It’s bigger than mine!

Great selection of output tubes.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Is that a massive volcano vaporizer on the right :) It’s bigger than mine!

Great selection of output tubes.
Thank you. That is actually Maker Audio Reference amp. A design only a mother could love. They have very little re-sale value because of it (like 20 cents on the $). That's the stereo version. I'd love to buy a mono-bloc pair. Every so often they come on the used market. Maker Amps; no one knows them, few want to buy them, but the one's that own them rave about them. They drive the Hansen's great.

The Lampi and LDMS server is new to this set-up. Previously it was a PS Audio transport/DAC combo. That was pretty good. This front-end is better.

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Thank you. That is actually Maker Audio Reference amp. A design only a mother could love. They have very little re-sale value because of it (like 20 cents on the $). That's the stereo version. I'd love to buy a mono-bloc pair. Every so often they come on the used market. Maker Amps; no one knows them, few want to buy them, but the one's that own them rave about them. They drive the Hansen's great.

The Lampi and LDMS server is new to this set-up. Previously it was a PS Audio transport/DAC combo. That was pretty good. This front-end is better.
I like it. My Volcano vaporizer would look great sitting on top of it. The wooden rack also looks great as well.

Reactions: ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017

leftside

Jan 22, 2018

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Phillips EL6 the same tube as the 4699? Was looking at eBay ads and like many, more than one tube model is listed in the title, and the write up is in Italian.

Are the plates of the Fivre grey?

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Phillips EL6 the same tube as the 4699? Was looking at eBay ads and like many, more than one tube model is listed in the title, and the write up is in Italian.

Are the plates of the Fivre grey?
Very similar. All variations work fine in the TRP.

Yes grey plates on my Fivre rectifiers. Really nice combo with any of the 4654, 4699, etc tubes.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
My question is if the Phillips EL6 & 4699 are different tubes, do they sound the same? Also 4654?

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
My question is if the Phillips EL6 & 4699 are different tubes, do they sound the same? Also 4654?
I find the EL6, 4699 and 4654 shoulder type ST to all sound quite similar in this DAC. I find them to be a little warmer/bolder than the cylindrical metal base versions. A little more info here:

Magic mids in the metal base versions - as with the far more expensive metal base EL34 cousins.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Finally got my Lampi integrated into the main system. Amp is solid state, pre amp tubed. Trying to find the right balance of tubes. The EL51s have the most slam but are a little bit gritty in the mid range. The PSVanes are beautiful through the mid-range but are a little too soft in the base. Makes it sound like I need a sub and one thing the Hansen Princes have is sufficient bass. I've got some more output tubes I can try, Gold Lion KT 66s, Fivre 6L6G, GEC KY 66s, Brimar 6L6G. Right now the Takatsuki rectifier sounds best of what I have (Kron Anniversary and Shu Guang).

View attachment 76448
The Maker Audio Reference amp offers a very original design. Sadly, I did not have a chance to give it a try. How would you compare the new Lampi and LDMS server combo versus the PS Audio transport/DAC?

Shredder

Feb 21, 2017
I have been playing around with the gain toggle. I am wondering on which setting you all are using? And, why?

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
The Maker Audio Reference amp offers a very original design. Sadly, I did not have a chance to give it a try. How would you compare the new Lampi and LDMS server combo versus the PS Audio transport/DAC?

Funny you should ask, I was just going to post.

The setup is a little bass shy. I'm guessing the Lampi rather than the LDMS. Does anyone's (everyone's) TRP do deep bass? The system sounds really nice, way more open and refined, but on cuts I know really well (like Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain") with bass below 60(?) hz there's not as much heft as there was with the solid state PS Audio. Is it my tube selection, Fuggly Franks with Takatsuki rectifier tube?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Curious, what power cords are people using with their TRP or Lampi in general? I'm using an FTA Elara now but would like to try out some others.

Thanks.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
The I2S input on the TRP with the R2R chip is now broken in, and its sounding fantastic! Sophia Electric tubes have become my daily drivers.

I was wondering if there's anyone in / around Boston that wants to come check out my setup and see what you think. I am fully vaccinated (as of Jan) and I think its relatively safe now. If you are up for it, hit me up!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing