LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
As a PS I am also thinking of replacing the fuse with an SR Orange, can anyone tell me which one to go for as I have read they don't meet their supposed specifications so a higher current one is recommended?

When I got my TRP, Rob of Lampi NA told me based on experience to use 3.15A. With SR, that means 4A, possibly 5A (speaking of NA). If you’re in NA and don’t have one already, PM because I think I have both Orange values no longer being used.

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
…With SR, that means 4A, possibly 5A. If you’re in NA and don’t have one already,..
Reason being? I’m using in H 3.15 and i know all the guys here also use 3.15..

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
1) Given the nature of SR fuses; 2) Not knowing the degree of the TRP’s and specific tubes’ start up surges (the latter vary); 3) having a Regenerator in effect protecting the TRP, and 4) having read that many developers’ fuse ratings are already a few times more than their circuits require, to account for the variety of users, user situations and to avoid the cost and hassle of unnecessary warranty returns and bad publicity that might follow.

You’re in Europe and, as I recall, at the time I got my TRP the recommendation there was in the 1A range. The suggestion then of 3.15A was already above what the factory recommended (2A) for NA, specifically based on NA experience. Commonly, NA ratings are 2x those for Europe. It has to do with the different voltages, I think (P=VA; half the voltage, double the amperage).

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
From TRP user manual:
"Fuse Change The DAC is equipped with a non-repairable 20 mm glass fuse circuit breaker inside the IEC-AC socket at the back. There is also one spare fuse provided in the little drawer removable when changing the fuse. The fuses are 1,6A (or 2A for USA/Japan/Taiwan) they are slow blow, and overrated by the factor of 3. Therefore it is impossible for the fuse to blow without a specific reason - a failure inside the player. Consequently, if the fuse burns, it is a signal to send the dac for service and NOT change the fuse. Obviously the second fuse will burn as well. WE ABSOLUTELY DO NOT ALLOW changing the fuses for any larger size than 1,6A or installing the “audiophile silver bolts” in place of the fuse. Fuses are there mainly to SAVE YOUR LIFE. And we mean that"

Reactions: Phon@ix

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Well, there you have it, yet you recount common use of 3.15A in Europe. I would expect manufacturers to protect themselves against misuse with such warranty clauses, as well as to refuse responsibility when aftermarket fuses have been used — assuming the fuse can be shown to be the cause. But if the stipulated sizes are blowing, what should the user do? And if there are substantially better sounding fuses out there, why not take advantage (judiciously)? It’s obviously not a comfortable situation either way.

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
When I got my TRP, Rob of Lampi NA told me based on experience to use 3.15A. With SR, that means 4A, possibly 5A (speaking of NA). If you’re in NA and don’t have one already, PM because I think I have both Orange values no longer being used.
Many thanks, sadly I'm in the UK so postage, etc would be prohibitive, particularly at the moment with the pound doing so well against the dollar!

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
I am located in the USA.

The fuse blew in my GG2 last month. When inquiring about the replacement fuse specs, whether I should use 1.6A or 2A, Lukasz wrote: "..in USA the 2A Slow (T letter) is a better choice".

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Turns out I was using a 3.15A Orange for the TRP (the 4A I recalled was an AM). I have emails from NA in 2019, when I first got it, saying that a few 1.6A had blown -- a Pacific is mentioned -- and that they were trying to get Poland to raise the value for the U.S. I was advised to stock up on 3.15A.

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
On a different note, the application of the Horizon engine, called Engine Eleven, is now officially available down most of the dac product line (the Atlantic TRP is now version 3). https://www.lampizatorpoland.com/kopia-technology-dac. Mine just got it, along with the JL upgrade and a needed repair, and looks to be back later this week. Btw, the Golden Atlantic is no more according to Lukasz, with its technical improvements overshadowed by the new engine.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
On a different note, the application of the Horizon engine, called Engine Eleven, is now officially available down most of the dac product line (the Atlantic TRP is now version 3). https://www.lampizatorpoland.com/kopia-technology-dac. Mine just got it, along with the JL upgrade and a needed repair, and looks to be back later this week. Btw, the Golden Atlantic is no more according to Lukasz, with its technical improvements overshadowed by the new engine.
I'm very curious about your verdict.
Please let us know what differences you hear.

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Mine is being upgraded also and should be shipping this week. Didn’t have the original unit very long due to a production error. Can’t wait to hear the difference and restart the tube rolling all over again.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Mine is being upgraded also and should be shipping this week. Didn’t have the original unit very long due to a production error. Can’t wait to hear the difference and restart the tube rolling all over again.
Please let us know what you find

Wjhen

Oct 21, 2019
I have read on the website that they do not install the engine eleven as retrofit in the Golden Atlantic TRP, as it is too much work to fit in the engine. Did you do a retrofit of the engine 11 in the current model?, or did you trade in the old model for the new model Atlantic 3. If you did a retrofit, can I ask at what cost? I have read it is about 30% of current salesprice. Is that correct? Thank you very much.

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
As a PS I am also thinking of replacing the fuse with an SR Orange, can anyone tell me which one to go for as I have read they don't meet their supposed specifications so a higher current one is recommended?
I would replace the fuse directly with sr purple… The orange‘s good but sounds very neutral and flat compared to the purple. The purple puts out more dynamics and micro details. I‘m using Audio Magic Ultimate Premiere (not = SHD Beewax) in TRP at the moment. Also a nice, organic and airy sounding fuse

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I have read on the website that they do not install the engine eleven as retrofit in the Golden Atlantic TRP, as it is too much work to fit in the engine. Did you do a retrofit of the engine 11 in the current model?, or did you trade in the old model for the new model Atlantic 3. If you did a retrofit, can I ask at what cost? I have read it is about 30% of current salesprice. Is that correct? Thank you very much.

Hmm...The eligible model update list has changed in the past few days. Here's the text (I assume the Atlantic refers to the pre-TRP version):

"ENGINE ELEVEN is retrofit- compatible with all our older DACs as a complete installation package.
Due to time and labor constraints: we will accept requests for upgrades only for the following models: Big7, Golden Gate 1 & 2, the queue will be without time guarantee (meaning long)
Pacific DAC is not subject to upgrades as the sound quality would be roughly the same.
Baltic and Atlantic are too small chassis for retrofit upgrade, only new builds will have the ELEVEN from the beginning."

Looks like you'll either have to pick up a Golden Gate or Big7 or get a new TRP 3. Apparently, I got in just under the gun. Mine was also going in for warranty repair; for two and a half years I'd had to pop the top every few months to deal with a problem caused by a previous repair in part not done correctly.

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I would replace the fuse directly with sr purple… The orange‘s good but sounds very neutral and flat compared to the purple. The purple puts out more dynamics and micro details. I‘m using Audio Magic Ultimate Premiere (not = SHD Beewax) at the moment. Also a nice, organic and airy sounding fuse

Dave can certainly do that, but he did pick up one of my no longer used Oranges, which went out in the mail yesterday. However, I think you're the first person I've read describe the Orange as "neutral" or flat, as the initial reviews on the Agon thread (and my experience) reported out that it had intentionally been given some warmth, presumably through a mid bass bump, something that the previous Blue lacked -- it was decidedly "neutral (and to me unpleasant).

Last edited:

Wjhen

Oct 21, 2019
Hmm...The eligible model update list has changed in the past few days. Here's the text (I assume the Atlantic refers to the pre-TRP version):

"ENGINE ELEVEN is retrofit- compatible with all our older DACs as a complete installation package.
Due to time and labor constraints: we will accept requests for upgrades only for the following models: Big7, Golden Gate 1 & 2, the queue will be without time guarantee (meaning long)
Pacific DAC is not subject to upgrades as the sound quality would be roughly the same.
Baltic and Atlantic are too small chassis for retrofit upgrade, only new builds will have the ELEVEN from the beginning."

Looks like you'll either have to pick up a Golden Gate or Big7 or get a new TRP 3. Apparently, I got in just under the gun. Mine was also going in for warranty repair; for two and a half years I'd had to pop the top every few months to deal with a problem caused by a previous repair in part not done correctly.
Thanks. I think they found out when working on your TRP that it was too much effort.... That is your luck. Please inform us about the improvements of engine 11. Then I make up my mind what to do.

Reactions: christoph and fbs

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
Dave can certainly do that, but he did pick up one of my no longer used Oranges, which went out in the mail yesterday. However, I think you're the first person I've read describe the Orange as "neutral" or flat, as the initial reviews on the Agon thread (and my experience) reported out that it had intentionally been given some warmth, presumably through a mid bass bump, something that the previous Blue lacked -- it was decidedly "neutral (and to me unpleasant).
The sr orange is a good fuse and I still use it in my reclocker and in my LDMS hybrid psu. But tbh the purple and AM ultimate premier sound definitely better imo…

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
Hi Phonatix, I'm sure you are right that the SR Purple is better than the Orange and that is likely where I will end up, however it will be interesting to try the Orange first and thanks to Highstream's generosity it won't be an expensive detour so all is good! David Whistance.

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois

Looks like I got mine in just in the nick of time. Paid for the upgrade and it should be arriving on Friday.

This is all rather confusing. Will report back when I have the unit.

Reactions: christoph and fbs

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing