LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
I'm happy for you :cool:
We plan a three TRP-shoot-out (E5942 - E53 - E11) in the not too distant future.
You think there might be tears to expect? :eek::D

Wow, that will be a very interesting shootout! That shootout will provide some great data points (among other user experiences) for getting a better idea of the sonic changes through the years via the digital engines.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
View attachment 108520
Upgraded from TRP2 to TRP3 and am very pleased with the new Engine Eleven with the much improved three dimensional representation, more natural voices and musical instruments. Still in the burn-in process.

Congrats! What is the rectifier tube?

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Congrats! What is the rectifier tube?
I‘m still satisfied with a PSVANE ACME 274b. I have to admit, that I spend more time in listening to music, rather than in tube rolling.

Reactions: DeadWax and Golum

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Wow, that will be a very interesting shootout! That shootout will provide some great data points (among other user experiences) for getting a better idea of the sonic changes through the years via the digital engines.
Pity we don't have an R2R engine TRP for that shoot-out just to have all the TRP digital engines present.

But I already directly compared an R2R TRP to an E53 TRP side-by-side and I clearly preferred the E53 one :D

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I’ve been following the Baltic threads and it seems like the 4volt Az1 rectifier with appropriate adapter is a contender. Has anyone tried this type of tube out on a TRP?
I'm running the AZ1 in Horizon with very good results, I have one on way for my TRP3

Attachments

• IMG_9496.jpeg
    IMG_9496.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
Reactions: Bbock

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
I'm running the AZ1 in Horizon with very good results, I have one on way for my TRP3
Really looking forward to your thoughts on this. I keep switching rectifiers Around even though I believe I like the Sophia Aqua 274b the best. I’m trying a Svetlana OTK blackplate 5u3c right now —have about 100 or so hours on it and will give it another 50 until I do a formal compare.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Really looking forward to your thoughts on this. I keep switching rectifiers Around even though I believe I like the Sophia Aqua 274b the best. I’m trying a Svetlana OTK blackplate 5u3c right now —have about 100 or so hours on it and will give it another 50 until I do a formal compare.

Really curious as well.

With all the Tungsram PV200/600 RGN2004 discussion over on the other tube rolling forum, I looked at using this on the TRP3, but in speaking w/ both the ebay adapter (RGN2004-5U4) manufacturer and Lampi Poland, it sounds like the use of a 4V rectifier would result in quite a lot of heat dissipation from the adapter (stepping down from 5V@3A); I was worried under some thermal circumstances (room temp, air flow, etc) this might lead to excessive heat on the TRP's main board, and I didn't want to take the risk.

Reactions: Bbock

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
I‘m still satisfied with a PSVANE ACME 274b. I have to admit, that I spend more time in listening to music, rather than in tube rolling.
And which ouput tubes? I was using all Psvanes in my GA TRP, 274B with 6ca7-tii. Decided to take the Aqua 274B out for a spin. So, so glad I did (reminds me of the old TV commercials: "I switched, and I'm glad I did!"). Tremendous all-around improvement in SQ. Was tempted to switch the 6ca7s to Aqua EL34s, but mine unit is balanced. I do wonder what the differences would be, given the 6ca7s are supposed to be quite close to EL34 characteristics.
I'll also hold off on any more tube swaps until I hear more about the differences between the 11 and the 53. Not quite sure what the upgrade would cost me, either; but, if I don't email for a quote I won't be tempted, either.

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
While placing new components in my system and making some connection changes, I realized I'm a couple of XLR ICs short of what I need.

I don't think it is necessary to remove a set of tubes from my GA TRP (balanced) to run RCA, but I'm not sure at all - given the topology is a somewhat of a mystery. Could someone tell me if so, or otherwise, and which tubes (front or rear) would be removed if only RCA is preferred?

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
And which ouput tubes? I was using all Psvanes in my GA TRP, 274B with 6ca7-tii. Decided to take the Aqua 274B out for a spin. So, so glad I did (reminds me of the old TV commercials: "I switched, and I'm glad I did!"). Tremendous all-around improvement in SQ. Was tempted to switch the 6ca7s to Aqua EL34s, but mine unit is balanced. I do wonder what the differences would be, given the 6ca7s are supposed to be quite close to EL34 characteristics.
I'll also hold off on any more tube swaps until I hear more about the differences between the 11 and the 53. Not quite sure what the upgrade would cost me, either; but, if I don't email for a quote I won't be tempted, either.
Currently a Sophia Electric EL34. I used as well GEC KT66, Gold Lion KT77 and Psvane 6CA7-T-MII/2. The TRP3 had a nice development path over the lasr 2 month and I really appreciate the improved musicality, rich overtones, depth in soundstage, and sovereignty. About this, I simply forgot tube rolling ;)

Reactions: tinkerphile

MysteryMan

Feb 7, 2022
Although I didn’t get a UPS notice, I understand that mine was sent last Friday, but took five days to exit Poland for Germany. So I might not see it until next week. I expect a couple of weeks of burn in. Good news from the latter standpoint is that there was no change to the output circuit, so tubes can be pulled during burn in while not in use.

You are aware that at least for now, TRP’s are not getting new engine?
My TRP has just been sent away to the factory to get the TRP3 upgrade and I was interested in your comments about the burn in. Does that mean it just needs to be switched on for 200 hours rather than have music playing through it for that period?

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
My TRP has just been sent away to the factory to get the TRP3 upgrade and I was interested in your comments about the burn in. Does that mean it just needs to be switched on for 200 hours rather than have music playing through it for that period?
I don’t know either but I put a CD on repeat and broke it in that way. I do believe that cycling the unit—shut it down for a few hours—helps with break in. Again, no proof on that either.

Reactions: christoph

Souldriver

Jul 6, 2023
NY
Hi all, about a year ago I purchased a Golden Atlantic TRP to celebrate having an offer accepted on a house and finally being able to set up a 2-channel. Well, unfortunately the house fell through and with the market just being horrific for buyers the DAC. I do not really have space for it in the current spot, but i decided to clear some room so I can actually hear this thing...

Welp, wow! To be honest, i always thought what I heard in my head couldn't be achieved without sacrifices somewhere, but this comes real darn close. The character change from tube swaps are significant!

While I think the stock tubes are a detriment, at least to my ears. The Gold Lion KT77s really got this in line. Added space, texture, and linearity. It was a bit more analytical, but not in a fatiguing way as it kept all the fun that Lampis bring to the table.

Next was some NOS grey glass GEC KT66s. As advertised, i think I like this better. Even bigger feel, ethereal, maybe a touch too warm but nothing I would complain about. A honey drizzled sound for sure.

I also recently purchased the F2a tubes and converter sockets, (thank you @Monsterzero !) but have not had a chance to test those out. And unfortunately I only tested on the stock recti. I would love to find an anniversary KR but i know that the best300b site has been MIA for a while.

I also really liked the built in volume control. It let me bypass the extremely bad volume pot on my Eddie Current amp (it's achilles heel tbh) and it bumped things up another notch.

I am happy/sad to see the engine 11 and trp3 upgrades. Happy as I love new lampi innovation, sad as I now want them too but it would be a waste as my dac just sits burning through warranty time.

Attachments

• IMG_20230113_225139~2.jpg
    IMG_20230113_225139~2.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20221128_190041.jpg
    IMG_20221128_190041.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 11

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I am happy/sad to see the engine 11 and trp3 upgrades. Happy as I love new lampi innovation, sad as I now want them too but it would be a waste as my dac just sits burning through warranty time.
Do we know if LampiNA has resumed offering these upgrades? The last I check (1-2 months ago) they responded to my inquiry saying these upgrades were not resuming yet.

Reactions: Souldriver

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
The PV200/600 is a fantastic sounding tube in my TRP. I recently put together an adapter for it, and I thought to post this for the benefit of anyone else thinking about a diy adapter for a 4 volt rectifier. The parts cost was about $65 — the bulk of that was the price of the Yamamoto teflon socket that I used. The Yamamoto is a work of art, and it seems to me that the socket is the most important part of an adapter.

To accommodate a 4 volt rectifier, we seek a voltage drop of one half volt in each of the two leads connecting to the tube’s filaments. This can be accomplished by adding one resistor in series to each of these two wires. One calculates via Ohm’s Law using the filament current, If, given in a tube data chart. For the PV200/600, If = 3.4 amps; so the necessary resistance (.5/If) is approximately 0.15 ohms. I used 5W Mills wirewound resistors.

The single best tip that I can give to anyone who wants to try this themselves is to make the leads extra long. This will facilitate the construction. Once the leads are soldered to the socket, and the socket is glued to the base, you can trim the leads and solder the pins.

I haven't used the adapter long enough to make any comments about sound quality, but it does work very well and it looks nice enough.

IMG_8964.jpeg IMG_8965.jpeg IMG_8966.jpeg

Souldriver

Jul 6, 2023
NY
Do we know if LampiNA has resumed offering these upgrades? The last I check (1-2 months ago) they responded to my inquiry saying these upgrades were not resuming yet.
Not sure, they started them, then stopped. Started again, then stopped. A friend is getting his Pacific upgraded to the 11-P, and even getting it set up has taken a while.

Souldriver

Jul 6, 2023
NY
I know there was a lot of talk about the newer super high end rectifier tubes, but has anyone tried the tried and true standbys such as 50's Mullard GZ34?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

Yes for the tubes. I don’t think that applies to the circuitry, however, but ask Lampi. Do the tubes need to be in for this purpose? Again, worth asking. If so, to save your already burned in tubes, consider temporary use of an alternate pair and use of a solid state rectifier (see eBay). Of course, playing can be done with the dac’s mute on, unless the output ports will be new — not usual unless requested or a problem — or you will be changing which ports are used. I would also count on at least 250-300 hours for the sound to reach effective peak and stabilize (for burnin I keep a daily log).

Last edited:

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
If anyone is looking for Telefunken AZ1 mesh, shoot me a pm as I over-bought (I have 6), so I have back ups of backups of backups :D , so I can sell a few. Mine are all 1930's and 1940's with NOS measurements.

Blake

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing