LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
AZ1 family photo.jpg

budburma

May 7, 2023
Hudson Valley, NY United States
New member, first time poster and excited first time owner (the trifecta!) of a to-be-delivered Atlantic3 TRP. I've been scouring these pages and am curious what tube combo might add some warmth as @highstream suggested above. I have a bit of a diagnosable audio sweet tooth.
The Telefunken AZ1's are so beautiful, I hope there's a good pentode match for them for the A3.

Rectifiers on hand: Bendix 6106, RCA 5R4GY, Telefunken AZ1,
- on the way: Tungsram PZ 200/600,

Pentodes: Sylvania 5942, Reflektor OTK 6n3C-e, Sophia aqua EL 34 ST
-on the way: Tesla EL51

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Start with what you have. Actually, break it in with the factory tubes.

THEN start rolling. Mine is a balanced A3 so I've decided to stick with new vs NOS tubes, saving me the hassle of procuring matched quads. My favorites so far are the Sophia Electric EL34ST. I'm also trying a set of PSVane EL34s that I just had delivered. They're still breaking in.

I believe the preferred pentode here is the FA2, but don't quote me on that.

I've done a lot of experimenting with rectifiers. I actually have the Valvo 2504 on the way from @plasmod3, along with his adapter, and I have on hand both the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B and their mesh 274B, the PSVane Acme 274B, Takatsuki's 274B, and Emission Labs' 5U4G and 274B, plus an old RCA 5U4G I haven't yet tried. I know most of those aren't super highly regarded, but I figure it's good to keep them on hand to experiment and learn through personal experience.

You have some time before you'll be done breaking in the unit, so read through this thread. I believe it's one of the best resources I was able to find, though I also pay attention to other Lampizator threads on this forum.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Take your time and let the supplied tubes have their day (don't know what Lukasz is sending now). For a bit more warmth, I liked the Sophia KT-88 over their EL34-ST Aqua, Tesla EL51, Mullard EL 34's, RCA's, GEC's and most everything else older. Based on 125 hours with the Telefunken AZ1, I find the standard Sophia 274B Aqua to be warmer and easier to connect with emotionally than the AZ1 in a GG3. But I wouldn't call the latter cold, and it definitely has a lot going for it that the Sophia doesn't. There is a new and improved 274B II version now that I haven't heard. I found the Tak 274B to be dry and sold it. The older RCA rectis I heard tended to be lushly romantic, too much so for my tastes.

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Take your time and let the supplied tubes have their day (don't know what Lukasz is sending now). For a bit more warmth, I liked the Sophia KT-88 over their EL34-ST Aqua, Tesla EL51, Mullard EL 34's, RCA's, GEC's and most everything else older. Based on 125 hours with the Telefunken AZ1, I find the standard Sophia 274B Aqua to be warmer and easier to connect with emotionally than the AZ1 in a GG3. But I wouldn't call the latter cold, and it definitely has a lot going for it that the Sophia doesn't. There is a new and improved 274B II version now that I haven't heard. I found the Tak 274B to be dry and sold it. The older RCA rectis I heard tended to be lushly romantic, too much so for my tastes.
Funny, I have a variety of KT-88s, including the Sophia KT-88s, and while those are my current favorite KT-88 I find the EL34-STs to offer better soundstage depth and warmth. Perhaps it's just my system / my room / my ears.

I find all these tube rolling preferences extremely interesting!

Reactions: christoph

budburma

May 7, 2023
All sound advice (double entedere out of the gate). I've not enjoyed the KT 88's I've heard so far too much – gold lion and tungsol. Maybe Sophia can change my mind. The dance of the seven veils. The 5881/6l6gc variety are much more involving to me - tungsol and esp. those old Russian winged C Saint Petersburg Sovteks and '80's coin base otk's w/gold grids. I forgot there are a few of winged C's kicking around here.

Please let us know what your hear with the Valvo. Their EZ80/81 (holland) recti have brought my ears a lot of joy.

SO happy to let the supplied tubes do break in duty.
What kind of Break-in are we talking?
Moderate volume for a week or two?

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
You don't even need your amp(s) on. Just let it play. If your Atlantic 3 includes volume control I'll suggest you find the level at which you'd normally listen, then turn it a couple notches above that and turn off the amp(s).

Edit: here's where your streamer is really handy. Keep the stream going...

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

For burn in, I've often found 275-300+ hours necessary for stabilizing into what will last. There's a day when one listens and it's just there. For tubes alone, It's not necessary for anything to be playing, just tubes on, although this doesn't burn in some of the circuits and ports. Tube wear is discussed in the TRP manual. Solid state rectifiers can also help, since rectis go much faster than the other tubes.

Reactions: msimanyi

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Take your time and let the supplied tubes have their day (don't know what Lukasz is sending now).
That's a very good idea.
Get to know your new DAC first while burning-in with the stock tubes.

For a bit more warmth, I liked the Sophia KT-88 over their EL34-ST Aqua, Tesla EL51, Mullard EL 34's, RCA's, GEC's and most everything else older.
Warmer than the EL51 and even the NOS GEC KT66? :oops:

I quite like the Sophia Aqua EL34 ST for a current production tube (as well as the Psvane 6CA7-T2)

I found the Tak 274B to be dry and sold it. The older RCA rectis I heard tended to be lushly romantic, too much so for my tastes.
That is interesting, I would call the Taka 274b anything BUT dry :oops:

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
All sound advice (double entedere out of the gate). I've not enjoyed the KT 88's I've heard so far too much – gold lion and tungsol. Maybe Sophia can change my mind. The dance of the seven veils. The 5881/6l6gc variety are much more involving to me - tungsol and esp. those old Russian winged C Saint Petersburg Sovteks and '80's coin base otk's w/gold grids. I forgot there are a few of winged C's kicking around here.
Same here, not a KT88 fan.
After the burn-in, you should definitely try and use all the tubes you already have on hand, especially the old russian ladies.

If you have an SS-recti, you could use that one for burn-in as well, if not, the stock recti will do just fine.

I would say around 300 to 500 hours while you are sending music of different formats (create a playlist in roon with different formats and check the "repeat" or the "roon radio" button) to the DAC. You don't have to have the amps and speakers playing during all that time. Only when you are listening anyways.
Over night and when not listening, just shut down the amps.

One more thing, every now and then (at the beginning more: after the first hour, then twice after two hours, and then three times after 4 hours, then after 1 day, and after 2 days approximately. After that you can let the DAC run through during burn-in), switch off the DAC completely and let it cool down all the way.

This procedure is good for the DAC and also for the tubes.

After the burn-in, I only leave the DAC running while listening and turn it off after the listening.

budburma

May 7, 2023
Well alright! I can do that - somehow I've learned to appreciate directions and not having to find, or imagine (?), a solution my self. Being told what to do feels like a treat and I appreciate it - just in time to forget the instructions in my dotage....quite a plan somebody else wrote up.

Thanks for the friendly and rife with info intro.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
If anyone has upgraded from the Atlantic TRP to the Golden Atlantic TRP, can you provide feedback on if it is worth it and the what the differences are in sound?

Thinking about sending mine for such a move.

Thanks.

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Is your Atlantic the current model, Atlantic 3? If not, I'd think the new engine would be much more significant upgrade.

When I was discussing my purchase, I asked if I should consider the Golden Atlantic version. I also asked if I should consider the Golden Gate. Rob basically recommended I go with the standard Atlantic 3 with my choice of balanced and / or volume control options. I think the Golden Atlantic features may have been retired, even though they still show up on the Poland site.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Is your Atlantic the current model, Atlantic 3? If not, I'd think the new engine would be much more significant upgrade.

When I was discussing my purchase, I asked if I should consider the Golden Atlantic version. I also asked if I should consider the Golden Gate. Rob basically recommended I go with the standard Atlantic 3 with my choice of balanced and / or volume control options. I think the Golden Atlantic features may have been retired, even though they still show up on the Poland site.

Yes, unless something has changed in recent months, the TRP 3 is the one and the Golden Atlantic no more.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022

I have the TRP 2 upgraded with Engine 11. In speaking w/ Fred, that's essentially the same as the TRP 3, except without the OLED display and perhaps having the older Taras VC instead of the current Kallas VC.

Fred did indicate the GA TRP3 is still being manufactured on an as-ordered basis, and has upgraded caps and chokes and WBT plugs. Plus the aesthetic cover and flight case.

Reactions: Souldriver

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Hmmm... I wonder what they get for that. If you find out, please let us know. And if you opt for the updates, please let us know if you think they're good value.

Reactions: ci1952 and keithc

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Kt77 beats kt66 and 88 and 120 150 etcetc. P17c beats kt77;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing