LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Hi all

Désolé, je ne parle pas anglais, je dois donc passer par un traducteur... Par avance, je m'excuse pour les erreurs et autres.

Having a first generation 4 and level 4 converter, in view of my retirement at the end of 2024, I plan to acquire a Gold Gate 3.

Dans cette optique, j'ai lu avec beaucoup d'attention les différents commentaires liés au choix des tubes pour convertisseurs Lampizator et j'ai été surpris que le tube redresseur Sylvania 5931 n'ait pas été essayé ni mentionné...

Perhaps more hazardously, I read that an enthusiast had confirmation that he could use a KR 300B XLS tube instead of a 300B. In this hypothesis, wouldn't it be possible to install KR 842 VHD tubes, which on my Cary Audio CAD 301 amplifier are excellent?

Kind regards

Quel Sylvania 5931, 1950’s or 1970’s or…?

Yes, just recently arrived.
I remember you having an earlier version GG for sale- did you venture a comparison between two? Does the new GG3 perform on the same level with your Pacific?

I remember you having an earlier version GG for sale- did you venture a comparison between two? Does the new GG3 perform on the same level with your Pacific?

Don't know Blake's thoughts, but here's what Lukasz thinks (YMMV per tubes used):

Lampizator dac model sound comparison.JPG

Don't know Blake's thoughts, but here's what Lukasz thinks (YMMV per tubes used):

View attachment 121421
Doubtful-
Engine 11 hasn’t been out long enough for a jump that large. I‘ve had my Atlantic 3 TRP for about 4 months and I’m supposed to believe 11-P (whatever that is) sees a +10% gain in performance? Hmmm…. Sounds more like marketing to me

I'm not an expert at deciphering the printed codifications of the boxes:

5960-00-261-8673
1 EACH
TUBE JAN 5931
cd. 8.75165.2PE8-1211
FUTURE ELECTRONICS 5/69

Maybe May 1969? What is certain is that this is the version with three ghetters.

I previously owned Golden Atlantic (version immediately prior to TRP version), Big 7, and GG2. I now have GG3 and Pac2.

I'd say Lukasz' chart aligns with my findings for the DAC's I've owned.

Reactions: christoph
Doubtful-
Engine 11 hasn’t been out long enough for a jump that large. I‘ve had my Atlantic 3 TRP for about 4 months and I’m supposed to believe 11-P (whatever that is) sees a +10% gain in performance? Hmmm…. Sounds more like marketing to me
I think your's is Atlantic 4 with the engine11.

I previously owned Golden Atlantic (version immediately prior to TRP version), Big 7, and GG2. I now have GG3 and Pac2.

I'd say Lukasz' chart aligns with my findings for the DAC's I've owned.

Did you upgrade from Pac1 to Pac2?

Or did you get directly from Big7 and GG2 to GG3 and Pac2?
The jump from GG2 to GG3 have been gigantic :eek:

Did you upgrade from Pac1 to Pac2?

Or did you get directly from Big7 and GG2 to GG3 and Pac2?
The jump from GG2 to GG3 have been gigantic :eek:

Hi Christoph,

No, I never heard Pac1, just my Pac2.

That is correct, I had GG2/Pac2 at the same time, and now GG3/Pac2.

So, I'm not sure how Pac 1 compares to anything.

Hi Christoph,

Thanks, Blake.

Pity but from the chart (and knowing Lukasz), I guess the jump from Pac1 to Pac2 will be as huge as obviously from GG2 to GG3 or as I have experienced myself, from Atlantic3 to Atlantic4 :eek:

Reactions: fbs and Blake
Thanks, Blake.

Pity but from the chart (and knowing Lukasz), I guess the jump from Pac1 to Pac2 will be as huge as obviously from GG2 to GG3 or as I have experienced myself, from Atlantic3 to Atlantic4 :eek:

I would tend to agree with your (educated) guess about the sonic increase from Pac1 to Pac2, being commensurate with the move from GG2 to GG3 as, in both cases, most of the change was simply a move to digital engine E11-P.

Also, both my DAC's have E11-P, so I am not able to provide any thoughts about differences between E11 vs. E11-P.

I think earlier versions of GG3 may have had E11, not E11-P.

I think your's is Atlantic 4 with the engine11.
That would be nice since it seems things are changing but the build sheet and rear sticker call out “Golden Atlantic TRP 3 Balanced“. I’ll have to inquire as to the differences.

IMG_0324.jpeg

:oops: I just noticed something that makes mine really rare! It appears that I have the 1 off build of the Golden “Atlatnic“! A very rare version indeed…

Hi Christoph,

Hi Blake

Have you never considered going all the way to the Horizon?
(little pun intended :D )

Reactions: Souldriver
As someone looking to upgrade i am very curious as to what this "Atlantic 4" stuff truely is.
I got the info from Poland, that TRP4 is TRP3 w/ E11 and the JL-USB. The former TRP3 w/ E53 is TRP3. Otherwise I‘m more than curious to compare my TRP4 (certificate names it TRP3 E11 JL-USB) w/ Poseidon in Jan .

I got the info from Poland, that TRP4 is TRP3 w/ E11 and the JL-USB. The former TRP3 w/ E53 is TRP3. Otherwise I‘m more than curious to compare my TRP4 (certificate names it TRP3 E11 JL-USB) w/ Poseidon in Jan .
Thanks for the clarification.
I heard the same.

I had a TRP 2 that got among the first E11 and JL-USB upgrades, but not the designation or backplate of a TRP 3 (same with a GG2/3). Not sure what designated a 4 from that. Made me wonder if there weren’t other internal parts improvements too that were the basis for the change.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification.
I heard the same.

Hmmm, not sure this makes sense.
If you look at @highstream 's post #2029, when he upgraded his TRP2 to E11, it had the JLSounds upgrade. Here's his unit's build sheet after he sold it to me.
When I bought my GA TRP3 that's recently built, it also says it has the JLSounds USB + Engine 11. Same w/ @Designsfx 's post on #2292.
My understanding was that in 2022 they switched all the USB receivers to JLSounds...

So still a mystery as to what v4 would have...

IMG_3616.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing