Lampizator Golden Gate Balanced Playing DSD256 and DSD512

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Hi..I was about to play both DSD256 and DSD512 on my GG. Last month, I got many files mixed between multichannel and stereo. This morning, I have removed all multichannel files and stick to stereo alone. However, when selecting either DSD256 or DSD512 (only 1 file), there is only noise, no music. My GG has optional DSD512 built in.

There power switch is at the rear panel. On the front panel, there is a ring button. Now, if I un-press the button, only noise come out. But if I pressed it, there's total silence. I still can't figure out what the function of that ring button.

Can anyone help me? I use Auralic Aries dop to feed those files. Could it be the Aries is the problem?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why don't you try directly from a PC with hq player to see if 256 is working

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
as far as pressing the ring button, if the light is on then the dac should be on........unless you are switching from dsd to pcm.......maybe.:rolleyes:

likely the ring button on your Golden Gate takes the dac into and out of 'stand-by' and lowers the power to the tubes to standby. however......one of the fun parts of Lampizator is that any damn thing is possible since they are all custom built.

ring button.PNG

so.......you really need to ask Lampizator what that button does on your particular unit. fun huh???

maybe there is an owners manual specifically for the Golden Gate......but if so I've not seen it. again.......every week it seems there are changes.......so one needs to ask to be sure about things.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
as far as pressing the ring button, if the light is on then the dac should be on........unless you are switching from dsd to pcm.......maybe.:rolleyes:

likely the ring button on your Golden Gate takes the dac into and out of 'stand-by' and lowers the power to the tubes to standby. however......one of the fun parts of Lampizator is that any damn thing is possible since they are all custom built.

View attachment 28743

so.......you really need to ask Lampizator what that button does on your particular unit. fun huh???

maybe there is an owners manual specifically for the Golden Gate......but if so I've not seen it. again.......every week it seems there are changes.......so one needs to ask to be sure about things.

So at the moment, the ring button on my GG is still a complete mystery. LOL.. now checking with both Auralic and Lampi as to what might cause this problem.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
So at the moment, the ring button on my GG is still a complete mystery. LOL.. now checking with both Auralic and Lampi as to what might cause this problem.

no exactly.

from your description above it seems very likely that the ring button does turn your dac on and off. technically probably in and out of stand by. which means when you get noise the dac is working. likely a setting somewhere in not set right.

good luck.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Pressed in, it's off. Unpress, it's on. Seems rather awkward though.

is the light on or off? that should be the cue.

Lampizator is not super elegant industrial design. it's functional and classic.

not meant as any criticism as I like the Lampi approach just fine. but there are more esoteric approaches to doing things.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The light on the ring button is always ON regardless of pressed or unpressed.

ok, now we are getting somewhere. if your light is always on, then likely that ring button toggles something, and I'd bet it's back and forth between PCM and dsd. so that means that 'no noise' might be related to your server and what it's outputting. if the server only is outputting dsd then when you switch it to the PCM dac it cannot even get noise. or vice versa.

that was all just a guess on my part.......you need to contact Lampi and get clear on what that switch does. the problem is likely in data delivery from your Auralic.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
maybe there is a setting in the Auralic that allows dsd512 that needs to be changed? does the Auralic even allow for dsd512? or something related to that. or possibly with the dsd512 change you need an updated Lampizator driver installed on your server for it to work?

again; I'm only throwing out ideas and am no techie at all.

it's also possible that you have multiple digital inputs, and you need to have a separate input for PCM. if that was the case, when you switch the front ring button to PCM there is no signal to even input to the PCM dac so there is no sound.

again, just a wild ass guess. my particular Golden Gate is dsd only and only has one digital input. so I have no first hand knowledge.

Last edited:

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
ok, now we are getting somewhere. if your light is always on, then likely that ring button toggles something, and I'd bet it's back and forth between PCM and dsd. so that means that 'no noise' might be related to your server and what it's outputting. if the server only is outputting dsd then when you switch it to the PCM dac it cannot even get noise. or vice versa.

that was all just a guess on my part.......you need to contact Lampi and get clear on what that switch does. the problem is likely in data delivery from your Auralic.

Somehow, it's not right because whether pressed or unpressed, I can play DSD64 and DSD128 without any problem. Only native DSD256 and DSD512 which can not be played. :(

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Somehow, it's not right because whether pressed or unpressed, I can play DSD64 and DSD128 without any problem. Only native DSD256 and DSD512 which can not be played. :(

Your issue is the Aries I believe. My Aries could not pass 256 to my GG but laptop could. Don't think Aries can do 512 at all.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
maybe there is a setting in the Auralic that allows dsd512 that needs to be changed? does the Auralic even allow for dsd512? or something related to that. or possibly with the dsd512 change you need an updated Lampizator driver installed on your server for it to work?

again; I'm only throwing out ideas and am no techie at all.

it's also possible that you have multiple digital inputs, and you need to have a separate input for PCM. if that was the case, when you switch the front ring button to PCM there is no signal to even input to the PCM dac so there is no sound.

again, just a wild ass guess. my particular Golden Gate is dsd only and only has one digital input. so I have no first hand knowledge.

Thanks for your ideas Mike..I am checking with Auralic if Aries does play DSD256 via USB or I need to change some settings or even have to wait for the new firmware. I only have one player hooked on GG which is the Auralic Aries alone. My GG is both pcm and dsd configurations. :)

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Your issue is the Aries I believe. My Aries could not pass 256 to my GG but laptop could. Don't think Aries can do 512 at all.

Bill, this is the response from Auralic. In this case, I think we should ask Lukasz if we can update the Amanero new firmware. Any idea?

Quoted:

Lampizator DAC use USB module developed by Amanero. Amanero does not support NativeDSD under Linux system so it wont work with ARIES. It was said Amanero have developed new firmware to add this support but I am not sure if Lampizator have ever prepared for this update.

If you check this webpage: http://www.lampizator.eu/Fikus/DSD_DAC.html

You can find the following description:

One USB input (works with MAC OS or LINUX without any drivers and requires a driver for all Windows types). DSD256 is available only from Windows systems, for MAC or LINUX the development is ongoing and we expect to get 256x compatibility confirmation around may 2016.

Best regards

Wang Xuanqian | ???
President & CEO

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
I am in touch with the developer - Amanero firmware to support native DSD on Linux is not ready yet. We are close but not quite... :)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
OK Bill, will ask my friend who plays laptop with jriver installed to come by and do a test. Thanks! How is the review of SGM coming out? :)

Review of SGM going well thanks. Not sure whether you heard one yet - is is a stunning machine that is for sure. The reduction in noise floor and hash is quite amazing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing