LampizatOr Horizon - Tube Rolling Paradise

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Are Woo Audio adaptors considered better than the lower priced ones on Ebay?
In general yes...@Rau just made them to produce 5687/6900 to 6SN7...can't comment on the price/performance ratio as they are quite more expensive but at least they look/feel great

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

If the sockets on ebay are teflon then there shouldn’t be much of a difference. If they are plastic it depends on how well they are made.

Reactions: mr.gregdee

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I contacted Mike at Woo and they will offer the 5687 to 6SN7 adapter now listed on there page but it's 110.00 per adapter. I asked of a possible group buy to lower cost but got no reply yet . And yes woo adapters are better but at a cost

2B262F16-F857-429D-B4C8-BFAF68D9219A.jpeg

Reactions: wil

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
That seems pricey for adapters.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
That seems pricey for adapters.
Yes , I told them that . The reply I received was we usually don't manufacture that adapter so it's higher cost . Then I recommend a group buy and was told they don't have enough people for a larger order . I feel 60.00 each would be fair. On this adapter I decided to buy (2) on eBay for 9.00 each . But then I tell myself we are buying a 50k DAC and worried about adapters :)

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I have tried the following tubes and perfer the F2a Siemens

KT88 KR
KT 170 Tung Sol
EL 34
F2a Siemens 70F5FF0D-AD3A-4E54-9FC7-E72CFCF0470B.jpeg

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I bet they will sell like hotcakes as our source has sold out
Mamma mia he had like 9/10 matched pairs and all gone in two days…woow…fingers crossed for others to find them..

Reactions: wisnon

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I usually like to wait 3 days before I make determinations about a tube but all I can say isn that out of the box, this tube was better than the 6900 in terms of gain (it sounds louder than the 6900) . Having said that the amount of microdetail heard with this tube is simply amazing. Sound stage had a huge immersive sound and nothing jumped out as being out of proportion to everything else however there is no doubt in my mind that the top end on this tube is more extended as is the amount of detail in the lower octaves than the 6900

In doing a search of this particular 5687 there are countless brands of 5687 all at a very low price. Apparently these tubes I have are made in France for the French military so they are often priced much higher

This could be a new benchmark. Stay tuned

As I said, I can't believe I posted in a tube rolling thread but this was so impactful for me I felt it worth mentioning
Heheheheh. People are now finding out what I knew years ago. Many old French made triodes are stone cold killers. The other nationality of killer tubes are the vintage Japanese. The cat is now out for the bag!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Mamma mia he had like 9/10 matched pairs and all gone in two days…woow…fingers crossed for others to find them..
For a cheaper trade alternative, check out the red base Shug Treasure WE replica 6sn7. It was killer in B3.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
For a cheaper trade alternative, check out the red base Shug Treasure WE replica 6sn7. It was killer in B3.
I know - heard them at my place ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
So earlier today my much awaited package arrived on my doorstep; I read with interest every members prefer3nces but in the end it comes down to our ears and our preferences. I have read with interest in many threads here to "bite the bullet, get the Takatsuki 274B and call it a day when it comes to rectifiers
I started with and presently use the RK-KR 5u4g
In between I have used several others, my most recent favorite being the Shuguang gz480 which sounded great in my Pacificbut really sounded flat in the Horizon

Lukasz asked us all a question when he was at my house...."how is it that if all a rectifier does is take a sine wave and convert that signal to a flat line , why do they sound different. I don't have a clue but here I am :mad: in a tube rolling thread and trying to contribute.

Well earlier today mine arrived and beautifully wrapped and packaged. Then how the tub came was an unexpected treasure. They come in a bamboo box with silk lining. Certainly this smacked of something special.
IMG_1726.jpeg

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing