LampizatOr Horizon - Tube Rolling Paradise

Not sure how experiences with the pac translate into the horizon. In the pac I found

We 274b engraved?we 422 ?we 274b non engraved?Marconi very old 5u4g ?USAF 596 ?rk 5u4g

Reactions: Golum and ctydwn
Not sure how experiences with the pac translate into the horizon. In the pac I found

We 274b engraved?we 422 ?we 274b non engraved?Marconi very old 5u4g ?USAF 596 ?rk 5u4g

I never really liked my WE 422 in the Pacific (with the DHTs I tried it with). I found that it was a little bass light. I will go back to it after I get my Horizon.

Reactions: ctydwn
I never really liked my WE 422 in the Pacific (with the DHTs I tried it with). I found that it was a little bass light. I will go back to it after I get my Horizon.
Agree , the 274b hence out front :) it seems perfect!

Well tubes arrived but Horizon is not even on the horizon yet…seems like i’m a bad sailor
D0529747-A2A5-44B0-86D6-55EB232933E5.jpeg

I received my 2nd set yesterday
I have no clue how this post is working - he’s like 200km away from me and it took a week to arrive (maybe more) with Priority post…oversees Pony Express is faster obviously….anyhow we’re set
He told me he sold them all but might happen he gets some more in the future…lets see

Reactions: Gregadd and ctydwn
I have no clue how this post is working - he’s like 200km away from me and it took a week to arrive (maybe more) with Priority post…oversees Pony Express is faster obviously….anyhow we’re set
He told me he sold them all but might happen he gets some more in the future…lets see
He sent mine DHL Express both times and had them in 3-4 days

I am not sure how he decides on his shipping methods. Mine were shipped regular mail and somewhere between France and the US.

No idea D.! Luckily tubes will arrive before Horizon anyhow :)

Reactions: dminches
I am not sure how he decides on his shipping methods. Mine were shipped regular mail and somewhere between France and the US.
No idea D.! Luckily tubes will arrive before Horizon anyhow :)
Francois normally always sends tubes via regular mail. I asked him to send mine via DHL Express. He did it but reluctantly so each time Took 3-4 days

Reactions: Golum
Steve....probably a stupid question but I am asking anyway. You love your Lamm Pre. At this point why? In your system what doe the Pre have to do with your sound quality? It sounds to me like all of your changes are because of what you are doing with your Horizon. Do you ever change the tubes in your Lamm? Did the sound change? I would be curious if you changed the tubes in your Lamm if the sound would continue to change with your Horizon in play.

Steve....probably a stupid question but I am asking anyway. You love your Lamm Pre. At this point why? In your system what doe the Pre have to do with your sound quality? It sounds to me like all of your changes are because of what you are doing with your Horizon. Do you ever change the tubes in your Lamm? Did the sound change? I would be curious if you changed the tubes in your Lamm if the sound would continue to change with your Horizon in play.
Will

I have posted many times over the years here that Vladimir tells his clients "No tube rolling" . I have followed that rule completely and I have owned Lamm for 20 years.....but having said that I am also on record for rolling only one tube in all of my Lamm gear and that is the 12 AX7 on my ML3 amps. That is the first ttube the signal sees as it reaches the amps. I have used now for the past 8-9 years the Holy Grail of 12 AX7's, the Telefunken NOS ECC 803S with the gold pins and diamond on the base.It made a significant uptick in SQ

The Russian tubes he specs for have become unobtainium and now with what is going on in the world, Russian tubes will disappear for the short term, so even though I am not a tube roller, this is one time Will where I wish I had that option. I have tubes but not as good as what he suppled

Mine came mail to in a padded envelope, a bit risky

Yikes.

When I ship tubes I always use a box and have lots of extra padding around them.

Reactions: rau and ctydwn
Yikes.

When I ship tubes I always use a box and have lots of extra padding around them.
That’s why I asked him to send mine DHL

They we’re perfectly wrapped and well protected with bubble wrap

Mine came mail to in a padded envelope, a bit risky
He fit 3 pair in a padded envelope! ;)
My one pair from Francois shipped a few days ago.
Found another pair in France.
Seems the worldwide supply has now been depleted.

He fit 3 pairs in a padded envelope! ;)
My one pair from Francois shipped a few days ago.
Found another pair in France.
Seems the worldwide supply has now been depleted.
Francois always says he has no more but he has a way of finding them. After hearing them, they were clearly better than the 6900 which imo were superb. I contacted Francois for a second set He told me he has no more matched sets of the Thompson CSF 5687. He offered me the same ones Wil showed us but they were different from what my pair were. After going back and forth suddenly Francois finds a matched pair that were NIB. The boxes had never been opened. Needless to say I bought them and paid him and they were in my hands 4 days later. Francois has a friend who is also a tube collector. I suspect what I bought came from either of their personal stash. I agree the supply seems gone

I have other 5687s which I will compare to these French ones. I wouldn’t be surprised if they sounded similar or better.

I have one more pair on way mine are all Thompson , I sprung for woo adapters

Attachments

• 3C809D5B-F1B0-4159-A4AB-05C0F86B98D8.jpeg
    3C809D5B-F1B0-4159-A4AB-05C0F86B98D8.jpeg
    576.8 KB · Views: 3

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing