LampizatOr Horizon - Tube Rolling Paradise

A brief listen of the 112A didn’t do much for me: compared to the lush sounding JJ 300B tubes that are now installed in my Pacific, the 112As are coarser sounding. Also, the antique tubes don’t fit all the way in. But I need to listen to them over a longer period. Right now I’m thrilled that my Pacific is sounding like itself again. I’m hanging on to the Pacific for one reason only: it gives me the lush sound of 300B DHTs (and other numerous choices with different strengths). “Upgrading” to the Horizon would require me to lose all my good DHT companions and make new “pentode friends”. And we all know how hard it can be to make new friends while forsaking old ones!

Listening to a lovely Lyrita recording (SRCD 242) of British music (Bridge and Ireland) conducted by Sir Adrian Boult. Lyrita made some of the finest orchestral records from the 1960s-80s. Harry Pearson was a huge fan of Lyrita. On the Pacific the strings on the remastered streamed version sounds almost as good as the original vinyl. Lush and full-bodied. Before getting the Pacific I used to despair whether digital would ever sound like analog vinyl. Now I don’t despair. No, a great turntable/arm/cartridge/phonostage still outperforms my Pacific but the gap is not as large as before.

Reactions: 2ndLiner

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing