Lampizator Horizon360 - Broadening Our Musical Horizons

steve williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As I have been patiently awaiting the arrival of my Olympus and IO my mind has been somewhat preoccupied on the LampizatOr side of my network. Suffice it to say I am totally enamored with my Horizon XDMI and being able to listen to native XDMI vs the Taiko analogue card. But as we wait patiently I have had several recent mind boggling conversations with Lukasz with the knowledge that his creative mind never stops thinking ahead and what can be done better. Well I’ve just had permission to make the announcement …..,,,,.,

Little drum roll please……..

I am pleased to make the first announcement here of the next generation

1724779181586.png

Mine arrives very soon and will be debuted along with the Olympus/IO planned sometime in the near future pending Emile’s schedule and that of Lukasz. Should schedules be difficult to coordinate I have told Lukasz that I am happy to have a second long weekend open house at a time when is able to fly in. My sense is Lukasz is available sooner rather than later so once I get notice of shipment of mine Lukasz and I and Emile will arrange one long weekend for sure and quite possibly a second. Lukasz has told me he has spent the last two years dreaming of ways to make the Horizon better and after an extensive world search for a better chip he has found the answer and he is beaming ear to ear. Tge “360” term is used because of the immersive sound of this new DAC

I enclose for reader review Lukasz comments to me that will elucidate what he has done and what one can expect to hear. So with all of this in mind I am completely excited to get my Horizon 360 and to share it with everyone and to have Lukasz here for an in depth demonstration

"Horizon360 is our first ever improvement of our flagship Horizon DAC since its creation 3 years ago.This move is mainly enforced by the chip availability limitations. When our “magic” chip got almost depleted and also we started working on Taiko Olympus XDMI interface - we had to decide to make major changes and eventually find a different chip. After searching the whole world for it and after endless experiments and prototyping that took 2 years - we arrived at a design that sounds better than the original Horizon with the same sound signature that we are famous for. We decided to give the project a green light and we considered it worthy of calling it the new name - Horizon360.
Business-wise, the original plan was just to overcome the parts shortage but as the Taiko Olympus story evolved, we saw a huge opportunity there. Since the Olympus is challenging the status quo of the digital music industry, we joined that process by adopting the Olympus XDMI as the first DAC manufacturer in the world. That is nice, but the market for Olympus is a limited one, by both factors of price as well as their supply output. Therefore we wanted to give to all the people who will NOT HAVE the Taiko Olympus a nice boost in sound quality when the Horizon is used with whatever server / streamer people might have. That means effectively that we put a 2 year research and development effort into improving USB and i2S and S/PDIF or AES/EBU inputs.
The new conversion chip required a completely new, “blank sheet” PCB design, with new inputs, new receiver, new power supply, new grounding, new multiplexing, new firmware and software that controls the conversion process. The main differences (except increased sound quality) are: i2S via HDMI doesn’t need master clock and will work off 3-wire connection - versus typical 4-wire before. That in turns may lead to offering an optional 3xBNC/i2S connection - BY FAR the best digital audio signal connection of the whole hi-fi industry. Better than RJ45, AES/EBU, HDMI, SPDIF, TOSLINK and any other you can name.

DSD now can be configured as 1024x versus 512x before (some of you will be thrilled) however for our internal reasons we decided to keep the maximum at 512x for the foreseeable future. The same goes for

PCM1536kHz sampling rate - the fastest in the industry.
PCM is now set at 768 kHz.
Taiko XDMI interface is now built-in and embedded in the design. Ev

PCM1536kHz sampling rate - the fastest in the industry.
PCM is now set at 768 kHz.
Taiko XDMI interface is now built-in and embedded in the design. Every Horizon360 will be equipped with one.

For Taiko Extreme - the sound quality of USB difference will be magnificent. (as well as for the other non-Taiko sources)
The name Horizon360 was suggested by our experience with the first prototype sound: someone commented - WOW, this is like old Horizon only it is a 360 degrees now - meaning - the experience is much more immersive and three-dimensional. It is sort of like the actual horizon when you are on the ocean.
We decided to handle our precious flagship DAC with extreme care and not risk any unnecessary changes just for changes. We left the same tubes, same output circuits, same chassis and display. We wanted to make sure that Horizon remains Horizon and when we are asked - we will answer with confidence that the new one is BETTER not just different and if you liked the H1 - you will love the H360 changes undeniably !

The list of differences versus Horizon-1:
1. New digital engine with new circuit and new parts
2. DSD 1024x vs 512x (not yet enabled)
3. Pcm 1520 vs 760 kHz (not yet enabled)
4. Two i2s ports: HDMI and RJ45 plus a possibility of an optional third “3xBNC” i2S port
5. No need for external clocks signal - a 3-way i2S is all we need now 6. Taiko XDMI link input port built in
7. Improved power transformers - 4 versus 3 before
8. Open path for next 20 years of upgrades
Horizon 1 in its original form will be phased out during the month of August 2024 and the remaining parts will be shelved for the future service needs.
The upgrade service will be offered starting from September 1 and only through the Dealer network.
You can distinguish visually the new version by the front panel logo containing 360 element as well as the rear panel description"

Lukasz Fikus

My contemplated Horizon (now called Horizon1) upgrade path has just changed! My modded DVD players (absolutely indispensable for me to watch opera and live concert discs with) may have to be re-modded to be compatible with 3xBNC/i2s connection. Noticed that Lukasz does not use the qualifier "except Taiko's XDMI" in his quoted sweeping statement that "3xBNC/i2s [is] BY FAR the best digital audio signal connection of the whole hi-fi industry. Better than RJ45, AES/EBU, HDMI, SPDIF, TOSLINK and any other you can name." (italics added). Perhaps it was unintended, but let me indulge in imagination an speculation: will there be a 3xBNC/i2s-equiped server in the pipeline? From Lampizator? Otherwise this optional i2s connection would be useless. If so, it would be competition with Olympus? Any clarification? I am keenly interested in 3XBNC/i2s link because my modded DVD players (2) and DAC have proprietary 4xRCA/i2s link between them (involving master clock signal in addition to bit clock, L/R or word clock and data).

Last edited:
Reactions: marty
Just as the previous two that I have owned, I have ordered Black Matt with Duracell Copper and no Im not worried about ringing from the copper top
to follow up on this comment and to put the issue to rest, Lukasz has been damping the copper top plate a little

Reactions: ctydwn
I was pleased to see the further damped top cover when i received my second horizon (w xdmi) last month. a complete non issue for me now. thank you team Lampi. now what to do w the new 360 given i just paid for the new, now old, version. seems like the 360 should outperform the previous Horizon v2 even if using xdmi from an olympus given the various improvements outside of the connection to a server.

Last edited:
I received my Horizon 360 yesterday and offer these early observations. To begin, aside from the graphics and the new line-up of rear panel connectors, the unit really appears indistinguishable from the previous iterations (the original and what has been called “v1” which contains the new XDMI input on the rear panel. (This was available by two pathways; either by updating one’s original or ordering a new Horizon with the XDMI input). In order to assess the new 360, I thought it was reasonable to simply install my current tube set on the new 360 since it would allow an assessment in which the only variable was the new unit itself, and not tubes. (For the record, I run a Cossar 53KU regulator, Mullard ECC2 triodes, and P17c pentodes in mullingmrs copper wire/gold pin adapters. I am connecting the 360 to my Taiko Extreme via USB and an FTA Sinope cable.) Of course, all the caveats about break-in apply (cable terminations and tube socket annealing, capacitor charging, CMS footers re-settling and stabilizing etc.). However, the good news is that the 360, even with very little break-in time, appears to be a superior unit to its predecessor in the most fundamental way. Simply put it is a higher resolution and lower distortion device than the original that it replaces. The obvious full range sonic benefits, particularly musicality, accrue from these advances. Even though bass is often the last thing that “comes in” with cable and gear changes and I am not there yet, what I have heard thus far is impressive and suggests that even better performance awaits as break-in continues. Alternately I might say, if the bass is good now, I can hardly wait to hear this thing after it’s broken in! In short, I doubt that anyone would not be impressed with a 360 no matter how configured, based on what I have heard thus far. Lukasz did his homework and new owners will be justly rewarded by his efforts regardless of the server one uses. The pairing of the 360 with the new XDMI native output-enabled Olympus is yet another highly anticipated event and is almost too much to think about, but promises to be a hell of a ride.

Unfortunately, I am obliged to provide an additional comment about the damping (or lack of) for the top plate (in my case, copper). Frankly, I was very disappointed in the lack of damping for the top plate. Although the chassis appear to be built like a brick you-know-what, if anyone believes the top plate damping is adequate and needs no further discussion, my response is noted here:

Honestly, the top plate rattles like a metal garbage can when finger-tapped. If your unit is on an open shelf or in an open cabinet and you don’t think this matters, we’ll just have to agree to disagree. However, the detrimental effects of the poor top plate damping are almost certainly the most problematic if you play your music at volume. At lower levels, it’s probably a relatively minor issue, or no issue at all. Fortunately, this is a trivial issue and is easily addressed. I certainly haven’t exhausted every damping method that is out there, but this one worked quite well for me using 1000 gm calibration weights and sorbothane discs that are both readily available from Amazon

IMG_2399.jpg. IMG_2404.jpeg

Sorbothane discs

https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbothane-Vibration-Isolation-Circular/dp/B0042U8P9C/ref=sr_1_6?crid=59APIGX4V7W6&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.h905hFiD4CtDomHCCo7-P4oV-Q4gpw3GLSCGGxEMetLb157JTPnVvAGLHLI_EMiY-grcaPAeVzHv98o_qlB3Mf_luE-w6y-eSD72h_u3YWT2y9VcSAp_UJ724fKyP6tNN_5sicwLeQxGLcwPqLbAlOaS-JG5SRnsBgZ09qzKK5Wq2j3iCbAFKMicnj4PpXM7DYf_1WI2pwJw14lDgN0ifA.0jiXZF13B7OhhBI2OVqhIDU_6SkibkpdjRE1iZFkD4A&dib_tag=se&keywords=sorbothane+2.25+disc&qid=1724961327&s=music&sprefix=sorbothane+2.25+disc,popular,128&sr=1-6

Calibration weights:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HF3LXWQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title

Last edited:
Reactions: lordcloud
I received my Horizon 360 yesterday and offer these early observations. To begin, aside from the graphics and the new line-up of rear panel connectors, the unit really appears indistinguishable from the previous iterations (the original and what has been called “v1” which contains the new XDMI input on the rear panel. (This was available by two pathways; either by updating one’s original or ordering a new Horizon with the XDMI input). In order to assess the new 360, I thought it was reasonable to simply install my current tube set on the new 360 since it would allow an assessment in which the only variable was the new unit itself, and not tubes. (For the record, I run a Cossar 53KU regulator, Mullard ECC2 triodes, and P17c pentodes in mullingmrs copper wire/gold pin adapters. I am connecting the 360 to my Taiko Extreme via USB and an FTA Sinope cable.) Of course, all the caveats about break-in apply (cable terminations and tube socket annealing, capacitor charging, CMS footers re-settling and stabilizing etc.). However, the good news is that the 360, even with very little break-in time, appears to be a superior unit to its predecessor in the most fundamental way. Simply put it is a higher resolution and lower distortion device than the original that it replaces. The obvious full range sonic benefits, particularly musicality, accrue from these advances. Even though bass is often the last thing that “comes in” with cable and gear changes and I am not there yet, what I have heard thus far is impressive and suggests that even better performance awaits as break-in continues. Alternately I might say, if the bass is good now, I can hardly wait to hear this thing after it’s broken in! In short, I doubt that anyone would not be impressed with a 360 no matter how configured, based on what I have heard thus far. Lukasz did his homework and new owners will be justly rewarded by his efforts regardless of the server one uses. The pairing of the 360 with the new XDMI native output-enabled Olympus is yet another highly anticipated event and is almost too much to think about, but promises to be a hell of a ride.

Unfortunately, I am obliged to provide an additional comment about the damping (or lack of) for the top plate (in my case, copper). Frankly, I was very disappointed in the lack of damping for the top plate. Although the chassis appear to be built like a brick you-know-what, if anyone believes the top plate damping is adequate and needs no further commentary, my response is noted here:

Honestly, the top plate rattles like a metal garbage can when finger-tapped. If your unit is on an open shelf or in an open cabinet and you don’t think this matters, we’ll just have to agree to disagree. However, the detrimental effects of the poor top plate damping are almost certainly the most problematic if you play your music at volume. At lower levels, it’s probably a relatively minor issue, or no issue at all. Fortunately, this is a minor issue and is easily addressed. I certainly haven’t exhausted every damping method that is out there, but this one worked quite well for me using 1000 gm calibration weights and sorbothane discs that are both readily available from Amazon

View attachment 135607. View attachment 135608

Sorbothane discs

https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbothane-Vibration-Isolation-Circular/dp/B0042U8P9C/ref=sr_1_6?crid=59APIGX4V7W6&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.h905hFiD4CtDomHCCo7-P4oV-Q4gpw3GLSCGGxEMetLb157JTPnVvAGLHLI_EMiY-grcaPAeVzHv98o_qlB3Mf_luE-w6y-eSD72h_u3YWT2y9VcSAp_UJ724fKyP6tNN_5sicwLeQxGLcwPqLbAlOaS-JG5SRnsBgZ09qzKK5Wq2j3iCbAFKMicnj4PpXM7DYf_1WI2pwJw14lDgN0ifA.0jiXZF13B7OhhBI2OVqhIDU_6SkibkpdjRE1iZFkD4A&dib_tag=se&keywords=sorbothane+2.25+disc&qid=1724961327&s=music&sprefix=sorbothane+2.25+disc,popular,128&sr=1-6

Calibration weights:

Great stuff. The thing that stood out for me though is that you are using a comparitively cheap USB cable in a super expensive system. Nothing wrong with the Sinope in a 10k system, but in yours its a weak link. Try a Tara Labs Master, not hugely more expensive but a definite step up in quality

Great stuff. The thing that stood out for me though is that you are using a comparitively cheap USB cable in a super expensive system. Nothing wrong with the Sinope in a 10k system, but in yours its a weak link. Try a Tara Labs Master, not hugely more expensive but a definite step up in quality
Thanks, but it seems unproductive to invest in another USB cable at this point since I have an Olympus XDMI on order with the dedicated XDMI cable.

Reactions: Anyoldears
Congrats Marty! I must ask how do you have a 360 already given the announcement 2-3 days ago? trying to understand how my new (second) horizon (paid a lot) was shipped last month (no word on 360) and 360 already in new customer hands. and now i would need to again pay similar for a new 360.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: dcathro and Rays
Do you send your Horizon in and it gets retrofitted? What is the cost of upgrade?

i

Unfortunately, I am obliged to provide an additional comment about the damping (or lack of) for the top plate (in my case, copper). Frankly, I was very disappointed in the lack of damping for the top plate. Although the chassis appear to be built like a brick you-know-what, if anyone believes the top plate damping is adequate and needs no further discussion, my response is noted here:

Honestly, the top plate rattles like a metal garbage can when finger-tapped. If your unit is on an open shelf or in an open cabinet and you don’t think this matters, we’ll just have to agree to disagree. However, the detrimental effects of the poor top plate damping are almost certainly the most problematic if you play your music at volume. At lower levels, it’s probably a relatively minor issue, or no issue at all. Fortunately, this is a trivial issue and is easily addressed. I certainly haven’t exhausted every damping method that is out there, but this one worked quite well for me using 1000 gm calibration weights and sorbothane discs that are both readily available from Amazon

View attachment 135607. View attachment 135608

Sorbothane discs

Calibration weights:

ii actually just take my whole top off:) nicer looking at all the pcbs and innards that way haha but highly topical. truth is i took the top off so my wire attachments have a way of going in without threading through all the cooling holes

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting to see this here this morning!

It is true, the timing aligned so that he could hear the first production unit and offer us internal feedback--I'm very surprised to see his out of the box impressions here on WBF as that was intended for Steve Williams.

That said, I am VERY pleased that even without any break in/settling in time, the sonic superiority of the Horizon 360 is plainly obvious.

Upon it's debut, the Horizon DAC set a new benchmark for digital reproduction which we do not believe any other brand has surpassed. To read of Marty's day one impressions that the new Horizon 360 is higher resolution, lower distortion, higher musicality and improves upon the full range is 'music to our ears' And just think, Marty... the thing isn't even burned in yet!

My contemplated Horizon (now called Horizon1) upgrade path has just changed! My modded DVD players (absolutely indispensable for me to watch opera and live concert discs with) may have to be re-modded to be compatible with 3xBNC/i2s connection. Noticed that Lukasz does not use the qualifier "except Taiko's XDMI" in his quoted sweeping statement
You are reading into things and coming up with conclusions which I can assure you were NOT Lukasz' intentions :cool:

Congrats Marty! I must ask how do you have a 360 already given the announcement 2-3 days ago? trying to understand how my new (second) horizon (paid a lot) was shipped last month (no word on 360) and 360 already in new customer hands. and now i would need to again pay similar for a new 360.

I wish things had aligned that I could have sorted something out for you, unfortunately the engine was not available in March when the order was placed nor was it complete on July 2, 2924 when it shipped to you. It was only green lighted this month (August) and the very first one built was delivered yesterday.
That said, we appreciate you and strive to never leave a customer behind. We are more than happy to update your unit to full Horizon360 status giving you full credit for having invested in XDMI. We're also happy to prioritize the update for you to minimize downtime. ;)

Whats interesting to me is that in spite of the "garbage can" quality of the copper top the SQ exceptional. I have no doubts in my mind that it is the SQ that rises to the top of the cream, not pounding on the copper top to prove a point. Im betting that at the levels you play , your windows also rattle and your ear drums bleed . I personally love the copper top and have never had an issue with it and if Lukasz states that some damping has done for we little folk who limit the gain at which we listen, that to me is a positive. And if there was ringing with your last unit which you brought to every one's attention, why buy that same option SQ for me is the path I travel and reading above the garbage can issue there is little doubt in my mind that Lukasz has hit another home run

Looking forward to getting mine with the copper top.

And just think, Marty... the thing isn't even burned in yet!
Fred, it's still not fully burned in but after last night's session, all I can say is that if this was the last system I will ever own until I expire, I would die a happy man. There were a lot of "holy shits" flying around the room last night. And all of that was with Roon, not even XDMS!

We worked on the H360 in the background without time pressure. I told my team - whenever you are ready we will make a switchover. First having internal betatesters, then external, then secret sales to people who had no idea about the change then to people who did know then the launch date etc

And if there was ringing with your last unit which you brought to every one's attention, why buy that same option SQ for me is the path I travel
I bought the copper top because it is superior to aluminum for blocking EMI. It's kind of like having a partial Faraday cage on top of your unit. When placed in a shelf or rack near adjacent gear that might radiate EMI, this can be helpful. It certainly can't hurt. If SQ is what you aspire to but you don't think that damping the plate matters, then by all means don't do it. Will respectfully just have to agree to disagree about that. If identifying a minor issue that is amenable to easy improvement upsets you, that's unfortunate but it was done to benefit others who might find it a useful recommendation.

Upon it's debut, the Horizon DAC set a new benchmark for digital reproduction which we do not believe any other brand has surpassed.

How curious … Have you had significant access to the WADAX digital system ?

You are reading into things and coming up with conclusions which I can assure you were NOT Lukasz' intentions :cool:
Thanks for the clarification, Fred. But to be clear, I did not make or come up with any conclusions at all; instead, I merely raised questions (which discerning readers would also have raised). I am very interested in the 3xBNC/i2s option. I have my 4xRCA/i2s setup and hope it is compatible (other than replacing BNC with RCA, which are substantively the same, and not using the master clock signal). To some people, purist i2s is indeed BY FAR the best of any digital connection. Being an empiricist and agnostic of technology or theories, I only care about results and can only rely on my own ears (manufacturers' intentions are ultimately irrelevant). It is exciting I could look forward to 3 improvements in one shot: (1) SQ of the DAC; (2) Taiko Link; and (3) 3X i2s (with BNC to RCA jack switch).

Last edited:
I bought the copper top because it is superior to aluminum for blocking EMI. It's kind of like having a partial Faraday cage on top of your unit. When placed in a shelf or rack near adjacent gear that might radiate EMI, this can be helpful. It certainly can't hurt. If SQ is what you aspire to but you don't think that damping the plate matters, then by all means don't do it. Will respectfully just have to agree to disagree about that. If identifying a minor issue that is amenable to easy improvement upsets you, that's unfortunate but it was done to benefit others who might find it a useful recommendation.
Not to labor the point but a better analogy I would put forth.....I live in California and Im sure my house shakes BUT the only time I feel my house shake is during an earthquake. It doesn't upset me at all. What upsets people is the analogy of a garbage can. Im sure if you wack (not a tap as you claim you did) any of the Taiko tops in the manner in which you did you will get a resonant sound

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu