Lampizator Horizon360 - Broadening Our Musical Horizons

I don’t have experiance with Rei combined with Tobian, but knowing how Gunter is voicing the speakers I would suggest to use DHT based amps (300b, 45, 2a3,..) to get the full magic. I’m presonally using Nagra VPAs..
thx, Nagra VPAs no longer available - they seem to have been replaced with the 300s. Ill try to find some for a listen

hi, i'm just starting in the tube world and planning a Horizon 360 dac with Tobian speakers. Does anyone have experience with westminster labs rei amps, or can you recommend a pair of not ridiculously priced monoblocks that will work well with the lampi and tobian? thx
I have had the REI westminsterLabs in my house with Gary Leeds here with my Horizon and I can tell you the sound was truly spectacular. I am having an open house event at my home here in Southern California Nov 1-3 to help launch the Horizon 360 along with the Taiko Olympus/IO . Lukasz is flying in from Poland and I an still hopeful Emile from Taiko will be here from Holland. Gary Leeds the national importer for REI will be here both days as wellPlease consider coming for the open house Here are the details. The slots are filling up and will be even busier as there are many who will be coming once they know Emile will be here. Please message me here at WBF if interested.

Reactions: tommytwotimes44
@steve williams - those are with Your speakers Steve.
With horns and 100dB sensitivity which were voiced with 300b tubes those kinds of amps are optimal vs SS.

Totally understood. My point is that I have yet to hear of any speaker that performs less than amazing with the REI WestminsterLab amps. For the money IMO there is nothing better in the marketplace.

Totally understood. My point is that I have yet to hear of any speaker that performs less than amazing with the REI WestminsterLab amps. For the money IMO there is nothing better in the marketplace.

So this is for all types of speakers, i.e. Apogee Scintilla to single driver no crossover horns?

So this is for all types of speakers, i.e. Apogee Scintilla to single driver no crossover horns?
If you are feeling a little edgy and looking for a good time with rhetorical debate, I'll hook you up with my recently retired lawyer/wife. She's been prowling around the house looking for prey and I don't need that kind of attention. She absolutely loves to debate the merits of spending large sums of money on audio equipment and how the high-end market is tailored to men, not women. If you are game, I'll mix her up a couple of drinks. ;)

If you are feeling a little edgy and looking for a good time with rhetorical debate, I'll hook you up with my recently retired lawyer/wife. She's been prowling around the house looking for prey and I don't need that kind of attention. She absolutely loves to debate the merits of spending large sums of money on audio equipment and how the high-end market is tailored to men, not women. If you are game, I'll mix her up a couple of drinks. ;)
Greg, I take it she does not partake in our WBF points of wisdom?

Greg, I take it she does not partake in our WBF points of wisdom?
John, if she does, there are all sort of things I can think to do with the extra money.
As always, thank you for your concern. It's been a while since I visited NC. I'll mix us up a couple of drinks. Would love to hear your new 360. (gotta keep things on topic)

Reactions: John T
I have a little head's up for those users of the Horizon retrofitted with XDMI interface as well as the new Horizon 360 with the XDMI interface. I have found, that when giving demos to friends and guests who want a comparison between USB and XDMI from the Extreme or Olympus, please remember that it is recommended AGAINST both USB and XDMI cables be attached at the same time. Further in my previous Horizon with XDMI as well as the new Horizon 360, it is no small task to remove the XDMI cable from the Horizon. Typically a simple push on the release clasp and a gentle pull will release any cables with such a release clasp. However such is not the case with the XDMI cable whether it be either version of the KBL cable. Pushing on the clasp will not release the cable I have found in order to safely release the cable not only do you have to push down on the clasp you also have to push IN on the clasp at the same time and the cable pops out. This is no fault of Lampizator. I found in order to facilitate this I use a small hemostat that I can grasp the tip of the clasp and then I push down and push in at the same time

HTH

I have a little head's up for those users of the Horizon retrofitted with XDMI interface as well as the new Horizon 360 with the XDMI interface. I have found, that when giving demos to friends and guests who want a comparison between USB and XDMI from the Extreme or Olympus, please remember that it is recommended AGAINST both USB and XDMI cables be attached at the same time. Further in my previous Horizon with XDMI as well as the new Horizon 360, it is no small task to remove the XDMI cable from the Horizon. Typically a simple push on the release clasp and a gentle pull will release any cables with such a release clasp. However such is not the case with the XDMI cable whether it be either version of the KBL cable. Pushing on the clasp will not release the cable I have found in order to safely release the cable not only do you have to push down on the clasp you also have to push IN on the clasp at the same time and the cable pops out. This is no fault of Lampizator. I found in order to facilitate this I use a small hemostat that I can grasp the tip of the clasp and then I push down and push in at the same time

HTH
I'm as curious as anyone, probably more. But TBH, to go through all of this, New DAC, New Olympus Server, Super Duper XDMI Cable, I may insert the XDMI cable and call it a day! To go to this extent, still have doubts and do comparisons with USB, I find it exhausting...

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
I'm as curious as anyone, probably more. But TBH, to go through all of this, New DAC, New Olympus Server, Super Duper XDMI Cable, I may insert the XDMI cable and call it a day! To go to this extent, still have doubts and do comparisons with USB, I find it exhausting...
I totally agree John. Set it and forget is my motto as well. However I have had a lot of guests who want to hear USB vs XDMI . If that never happens it isnt an issue. The cable inserts extremely easy at both ends and removes easily from the Olympus side but not so easy at the Lampi side

I totally agree John. Set it and forget is my motto as well. However I have had a lot of guests who want to hear USB vs XDMI . If that never happens it isnt an issue. The cable inserts extremely easy at both ends and removes easily from the Olympus side but not so easy at the Lampi side
I completely understand your situation...

hi, i'm just starting in the tube world and planning a Horizon 360 dac with Tobian speakers. Does anyone have experience with westminster labs rei amps, or can you recommend a pair of not ridiculously priced monoblocks that will work well with the lampi and tobian? thx
It is too bad you're in Ireland. I'm listening to a system with Lampizator, Taiko Olympus, Tobian 12SE and Westminster REIs as I type this. It is quite an incredible synergy.

I'm very proud to represent all of these brands

I have had guests here for the past week, so listening to the Horizon 360 was patchy until today when guests are gone and I spent the entire day listening to the 360.

This is my 3rd Horizon and as the saying goes, "you save the best for last" although with Lukasz,, there is no such thing as last but the good news is he continues to find ways to make better what we have claimed to be the best we've ever heard

This 360 is not a big improvement over my Horizon with XDMI....rather the improvement is H-U-G-E

The sound is big but the focus is simply perfect. The dynamics are vastly better to my previous Horizon. I just cannot go back to listening with my $15K Masterbuilt Ultra USB cable and the Taiko USB card. I have had both versions of the KBL XDMI cable and the better version IMO adds so much more detail and dynamics. Simply put, Emile and Lukasz have hit a walk off home run with XDMI. XDMI in my last Horizon was better than USB even with the less expensive ($3K) XDMI KBL cable. Now along comes the $4K version of the KBL XDMI cable which together with the Horizon 360 and the Taiko Olympus/IO has put the digital side of my system in a place I never knew existed.

I have had no change in my tube kit as I merely moved my existing over from the previous Horizon the the 360. It was same tubes but a sound system that was raising goose bumps. Everything sounds good. I have been playing songs in my library which is over 100 feet away from my sound room. I ordered the Olympus'IO per Emile's recommendation with no internal storage. Instead my library is on a QNAP NAS TS-464 recommended by Christoph (tsaett) . The NAS is wired into my HOUSE router via a $5 Ethernet cable and using port forwarding on my Taiko router and even crappy songs have me glued to my seat as the sheer presence and realism of the sound cannot be denied

I have kept (for now) th previous Horizon with XDMI until after the event I am having at my house Nov 2-3 along with my very expensive MasterBuilt Ultra USB cable so that n A-B comparison of the 2 DAC can be heard with either USB or XDMI

As the saying also goes, "you can't unring a bell" and this Horizon 360 (which Im sure has a few more days of playing time needed before it becomes completely settled) has truly lit up my ears

I encourage all interested readers who want to experience what I am so they know Im not drinking the Kool Aid, I encourage you to consider coming for the open house at my home Nov 2-3 ....Nov 1 will be a day spent by lukasz and Fred to go over the system and fine tune to their satisfaction. For me however, Lukasz "had me at hello"

Those interested, please contact me here by PM so I can provide details to obtain a gate pass. I. live in a guard garted community and only people on the guest list will be admitted

Stay tuned for further input as this DAC settles but right now it is simply quantum leaps ahead of the previous Horizon...."360" is a good way to describe the sound

I'll try my best to share my observations with the 360; I wanted to accumulate some hours on it before sharing anything. I have had 2 Horizons and average 5 hours a day of listening for 2 years (Horizon/Extreme) I think I have a good reference point. The 360 is bigger scale across the board. If I never heard the Horizon there would be no reference. I think my exact words to Fred @LampiNA and Lukas @Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus was "this is a different animal" More detail top end, dynamics and micro dynamics are more precise. I hear nuance in very familiar pieces that make me jerk my head! Pretty cool! Instruments have more vivid presence. Piano!! Off the charts. Huge Bass. Vocals have more depth. I can go on and on! Please don't misunderstand the Horizon is a Great piece of gear, the 360 takes what the Horizon does so well and does it better. Keep in mind I'm using the Extreme/360 USB until the Olympus arrives.
I think the Horizon "settled" in quicker. The 360 gradually gets better and better. Fred @LampiNA told me "Relax And Enjoy The Ride" No Truer Words Spoken...Fred has the patience of a Saint!!

Last edited:
Vocals have more depth.
Hello John,

Thank you for this report!

What does it mean for vocals to have "more depth"?

I'll try my best to share my observations with the 360; I wanted to accumulate some hours on it before sharing anything. I have had 2 Horizons and average 5 hours a day of listening for 2 years (Horizon/Extreme) I think I have a good reference point. The 360 is bigger scale across the board. If I never heard the Horizon there would be no reference. I think my exact words to Fred @LampiNA and Lukas @Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus was "this is a different animal" More detail top end, dynamics and micro dynamics are more precise. I hear nuance in very familiar pieces that make me jerk my head! Pretty cool! Instruments have more vivid presence. Piano!! Off the charts. Huge Bass. Vocals have more depth. I can go on and on! Please don't misunderstand the Horizon is a Great piece of gear, the 360 takes what the Horizon does so well and does it better. Keep in mind I'm using the Extreme/360 USB until the Olympus arrives.
I think the Horizon "settled" in quicker. The 360 gradually gets better and better. Fred @LampiNA told me "Relax And Enjoy The Ride" No Truer Words Spoken...Fred has the patience of a Saint!!
I totally agree John but wait until you have a chance to compare USB vs XDMI once your Olympus arrives. I would be shocked if you dont stick with XDMI. If you think there is depth , dynamics and nuances which you've never heard , stay tuned is all I can say

JYACO is coming for a listen this Friday and I will do an A-B test of USB vs XDMI for him

Hello John,

Thank you for this report!

What does it mean for vocals to have "more depth"?
Hello Ron, for me vocal depth represents a sound signature that mimics a presentation akin from an old style amphitheater. Recessed with more airiness...Edit: Almost as if the voice has a different projection point from the rest of the piece...

I cant wait to be in California to witness all that myself. Right now I take a decompression stop at the sea to clean my ears and mind
We are all looking forward to having you here once again Lukasz.

Reactions: LampiNA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu