Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Thanks for that synopsis. That sounds like some real work that might be beyond me.
I think the Pacific uses Toroidy transformers. I doubt you have a real issue there. It'll be something else in all likelihood. I will say mine is now running super quietly. Hum is just not detectable even with the gain up high and no music playing.

Are you using very efficient speakers by any chance? That may accentuate hum issues.

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
I think the Pacific uses Toroidy transformers. I doubt you have a real issue there. It'll be something else in all likelihood. I will say mine is now running super quietly. Hum is just not detectable even with the gain up high and no music playing.

Are you using very efficient speakers by any chance? That may accentuate hum issues.
No, my speakers are 86 - 87 dB. My tube phono stage doesn't present with near as noticeable noise. I think I will have Lampi look my Pacific over when I send it in for the USB input upgrade.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thanks for that synopsis. That sounds like some real work that might be beyond me.
Take your Pacific to someone elses place to try and if it does NOT hums there, it is probably the power situation at your place.

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Yeah, that is a great suggestion. Since I have had noise issues common to three Lampi DAC's in a row, it could just be my power. Although, I did change from a Topaz isolation transformer feeding an HB Cable Designs Marble to a PS Audio P20 regenerator, and my noise changed not a jot (in both cases, it is a little worse direct from the wall). I measure virtually zero DC offset, so it's not that (there is a bit direct from the wall).

Reactions: christoph

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Just received these. I am hoping they will sound nice ones I put some hours on them.

EE5F479D-5A45-4F5B-A2E1-2F66C3B199F7.jpeg

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Super David!
Very very much looking fw what you’ll have to say about those...

Reactions: dminches

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Me too.

I had some glorious hours with the Telefunken RS242 yesterday. Then the troublesome valve went duff again. What a shame. Put it on the tester and got 0.8 mA/V. NOS should read 3 mA/V. I have left it in the tester hoping it will recover. If not, they go back tomorrow.

It's a top tube, no friggin' question. I will get another pair.

Not happy:(

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
OK so perhaps surprisingly the real 242 is euphonic in a natural way. Hard to describe but it just sounds good in a very enjoyable manner. It is nothing like the KR242 that aspires to be quite high performance but just doesn't sound as natural IMHO. That said until I get a pair that I regard as testing at least very good to excellent I cannot recommend relying on what I have just said as being indicative of a really good pair.

The TMBF1 is a surprise. French and romantic sounding? Absolutely not. This valve is alarmingly hi-fidelity. It's sonic performance is very modern and clearer and better defined than practically and probably anything I have heard in my DAC so far. And it's low microphony. It's excellenty truthful in a way that surprises you as you try to listen to find flaws but just can't find them. Maybe there's a minute sense of it not being entirely natural, but that could well be unfair. In fact, on edit of this post, I think it is, so ignore!

TMBF1 has excellent, precise imagery too. It is a top flight performer.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
TMBF1 will work in Lampis that are optimised for KR 242 guys.

In my opinion it is definitely appreciably superior. And it's well priced. You just need am adaptor.

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
How is the gain J.?

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Does this tube have the same gain as a 242?

DeMarko

Mar 27, 2020
I still have the hope that one day they will bowl me over like they bowl you over ;)
Out of curiosity, what tube was the one exception where the EML 45 mesh Anni Globes where not the best?
KR PX 4. It was a system specific match, great match it was. The system owner tells me every time he sees me that it was the best DAC he ever heard in his system, and he had a $40k DAC at the time and tested a $105k DAC before he heard my Lampizator GG1.

Reactions: christoph

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Does this tube have the same gain as a 242?
It's a high gain tube. If it isn't exactly the same as the KR it isn't far off.

I am listening to it now. I've be writing on this thread for a while now. I have heard a lot of sh*t. So...

In my DAC this is the best I have ever heard. It's just bleeding edge good.

That said we all like different things.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
TMBF1 will work in Lampis that are optimised for KR 242 guys.

In my opinion it is definitely appreciably superior. And it's well priced. You just need am adaptor.

What adapter is needed?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
What adapter is needed?
B4 to UX4.

Or maybe sold on eBay as PX25 to 300B. That's what mine are marked as.

But that doesn't mean a PX25 is a 300B.electrically and it shouldn't be treated as such. The Chinese eBay guys selling them are just talking about the pins.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Reactions: Zero000

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
On further thoughts my gut feeling is RS242 isn't going to outperform TMBF1. I'm not going to re-invest in it.

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Dear all Lampizator experts,

I upgraded from Baltic to GG2 few months ago and followed the advise by WBF experts to change to RK242 + GZ480, this combination sounds fantastic and i really love this kind of direct, focus and accurate tone with my ATC SCM50A, however, I got a message from an experienced users that the output of GZ480 (4A) is too large which may damage my GG2 in a long run, i tried to change it back to RK5u4g and ACME 274b but my system lost its magic with the GZ480...

Really appreciate you guys advise, any other tube which sounds similar to GZ480 or any workaround which I can stay with it without any potential damage to my GG2,

Thx
Joe

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hi Joe;

Honestly first time that I hear about something like that and personally I know at least dozen of guys using GZ480 in their Lampies daily while even Lukasz Fikus is using it at his demo room...
This tube got his blessing for usage, so I assume it's safe and sound to be used...

Just my two cents...

Last edited:

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Hi Joe;

Honestly first time that I hear about something like that and personally know at least dozen of guys using GZ480 in their Lampies and even Lukasz Fikus using it at his demo room...
This tube got his blessing for usage so I assume it's safe and sound to be used...

Just my two cents...
Thanks so much Golum :)

Always trust you guys who are my master Yoda, i followed the same route and just purchased a SGM Extreme with the new USB to match with my GG2, even though im only using Aurender acs10 now, GG2 helped qobuz streaming sounds awesome already, i will switch my GZ480 back tonite and dont look back again :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing