Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Funny but the highly touted EML 45 mesh Lampi Anniversary Globes continue to underwhelm me in my systems each time I give them another try :oops:
If they wouldn't be that rare and unobtainable, I would have long sold them :rolleyes:
But that being said, I still keep them in case I should change systems some time in the future and they should magically do some magic for me all of a sudden :p
It is probably very system dependent. Ked brougt them to my place and when we replaced KR PX 25 / Fivre combo with EML 45 / KR 5u4g RK it was obvious for both of us that in my system it was more resolved , better timbre and better overall musicality in the same time.
Now with Trios once the upgraded amps stabilise I will roll again my tubes to see how is the synergy in Trio/Rel setup.

Reactions: christoph
It is probably very system dependent. Ked brougt them to my place and when we replaced KR PX 25 / Fivre combo with EML 45 / KR 5u4g RK it was obvious for both of us that in my system it was more resolved , better timbre and better overall musicality in the same time.
Now with Trios once the upgraded amps stabilise I will roll again my tubes to see how is the synergy in Trio/Rel setup.
That is why I keep the EML 45 mesh Anni Globes ;)
The hope that maybe one day they will surprise me with good system synergy :p

Reactions: marslo
Picked up a quad of NOS RCA ST shape 112a as well as Cunningham globe 01a over the weekend- as well as an RCA 5u4g NOS recti.
Working on a quad of ST shape 45 type as well.

Nothing to play them in yet but being patient for B7 MKII bal.

Hi Justin

What is your current ranking list, then?

Please include the KR PX25 for me to have a reference.

Thanks in advance
Funny I was thinking about doing such a list.

I will confirm that as my DAC has changed a lot over time so has the ranking list.

I have just bought a pair of Telefunken RS242 NOS because, well, I had to:)

I will do a list in a month or maybe more time once I have assessed that. I need to make a resistor mod first, though, to use the Tele 242 and TMBF1 I posted about earlier. Will try and do that next week.

I confirm, that it sounds a bit conceited.

I did not mean that I have found the holy grail and it is clear to my that there are many old tubes that even sounds better ( and you own and I have not heard). My message was just to inform you about my personal impression of the new WE 300b.
That's fine. I'd love to hear that new WE 300B.

Enjoy them:)

Reactions: MOME
Your description about the Tak 300Bs is exactly how I feel. It does sound muffled or not as detailed as the 112As.
As I wrote above, I always look at the sound of the DAC and tubes in conjunction with the HQPlayer settings. In general, I prefer DSD, as the sound is more natural and spatial for me. In my opinion, however, DSD is sometimes a bit too soft and somewhat muffled. PCM sounds clearer and more precise to me, but also a bit two-dimensional and artificially digital.
Thus, I think that the sound characteristics of tubes can be perfectly supported by HQPlayer settings.
For this reason, I played a little with the Taka 274b/300b combination and would like to share what I consider to be a good HQPlayer setting to compensate for the slightly muffled basic sound of the Taka 300b (see attachment)
I am personally very satisfied with this combination.

Attachments

• 03D26EA2-8794-443F-9C53-5C187124E7BE.jpeg
    03D26EA2-8794-443F-9C53-5C187124E7BE.jpeg
    441.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 8124FF08-AFE1-4B5E-B649-7EF82ED8B91A.png
    8124FF08-AFE1-4B5E-B649-7EF82ED8B91A.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: Zero000
As I wrote above, I always look at the sound of the DAC and tubes in conjunction with the HQPlayer settings. In general, I prefer DSD, as the sound is more natural and spatial for me. In my opinion, however, DSD is sometimes a bit too soft and somewhat muffled. PCM sounds clearer and more precise to me, but also a bit two-dimensional and artificially digital.
Nail on the head.

My experience of PCM vs DSD is just the opposite. I have always found DSD to sound a bit sterile and lacking any warmth.

Since I play files in their native format this really isn’t a big issue for me since very little music of mine is DSD and for almost all of it I have hi res PCM conversions.

Reactions: Golum
When you guys buy new production tubes do you pay extra for matching?

Or just assume they are matched well enough because they are identical tube, same manufacturer?

My experience of PCM vs DSD is just the opposite. I have always found DSD to sound a bit sterile and lacking any warmth.

Since I play files in their native format this really isn’t a big issue for me since very little music of mine is DSD and for almost all of it I have hi res PCM conversions.
Interesting!

It seems that a new thread is needed: „Lampizator / HQPlayer-Settings Rolling“ ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Nikko and christoph
I have pulled the plug and ordered Linlai 274B Elite series. Let's see whether this is as good as ACME 274B?
Anyone tried it already?
So Linlai Elite 274B arrived yesterday. I have plugged it in.
Initial impression is extremely positive. It is not as warm as ACME 274B. I think it combines best attributes of KR274B and ACME 274B into one tube. Very spacious, detailed, dynamic and not too warm.

Attachments

• IMG_3774.jpg
    IMG_3774.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3775.jpg
    IMG_3775.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3776.jpg
    IMG_3776.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: RDSChicago
That is why I keep the EML 45 mesh Anni Globes ;)
The hope that maybe one day they will surprise me with good system synergy :p
Or sell them to someone who would use them :)
These tubes were the best in several systems that I tried them in with the exception of one. It was both in Lampizator Golden Gate 1 and Pacific. Only in one system did another tube worked much better. In my own system they are my favorite by far, not the 242, not the PX25, not the 300B or PX4 or 101D. And they beat all my other 45's including the vintage collection of RCA's and the Cunningham parashutes from the 1930s.

Reactions: Golum and christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing