Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
It's the year 2022.

My analogue source from decades ago still betters any digital source I have come across yet.

Annoying. But true.

Suggestions for why could be interesting.

Why does this appear to be an auditory fact?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
@User211 When notification of your post came, I was watching a YT video interview from a year ago with Ben Lilly of ATC. One question he was asked was about using Class D amplification, i.e., digital (they use AB, analog in all their powered products, speakers and separates). Part of his answer was about being able to make everything in-house, vs. outsourcing OEM. But the other part was about the need for and value of an extended high frequency range, up to 200 kHz, which he seems to say is not done well with digital.

The video link for this is below: discussion starts at 1:01:50; more about high bandwidth at ~38:20. Also somewhere else he discusses why analog and not digital, but I can't find it.

There's an informative answer about speaker isolation and why certain types of products work or don't starting at about 1:06:40

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
My previous post really wasn't that well worded.

What I really meant was why does analogue still seem to sound more palpably real than digital given a decent pressing?

In many respects I don't think vinyl is better. But in that one respect (prev paragraph) I feel it can and does sound more real.

Anyway I am glad people didn't bite. It's a worn out subject.

I will give that video a watch, though.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Analogue vs digital may be worn out, but why they are different not so much so. I replaced a Directstream dac with a Lampi, and then added a tube dac instead of a digital one, because while the DS has a modestly warm sound by design there was something sterile about it. Why that’s the case is beyond my knowledge, although I think Lilly speaks to it in part.

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
Really enjoying new issue WE300b and Tak 274b Recti, Looking for a matched quad of RK 242s to try. I would also consider RK PX25s. There is no new production from KR right now apparently. I have a possible source for lightly used RK 242s who is upgrading to Horizon— but haven’t heard back yet.

Anyone else out there who has a matched quad of either?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
As quite an avid guitar player for quite a long time now, I am currently doing my Marconi/Osram PX25's on Songs For The Deaf by QOTSA.

I have to say the electric guitar tone on the first few albums by QOTSA varies quite a bit but is always outstanding.

Guitar amplifier selection and indeed guitar playing on these albums, plus the recording techniques are absolutely world class.

If you like to rock... listen to Josh. A bit.

;)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
@Steve Williams any word on the triode question when the unit is used in unbalanced mode?

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
As quite an avid guitar player for quite a long time now, I am currently doing my Marconi/Osram PX25's on Songs For The Deaf by QOTSA.

I have to say the electric guitar tone on the first few albums by QOTSA varies quite a bit but is always outstanding.

Guitar amplifier selection and indeed guitar playing on these albums, plus the recording techniques are absolutely world class.

If you like to rock... listen to Josh. A bit.

;)
I like rock a lot. Their album cover is off- putting for me though.

Had a jam session with Def Leppard and ZZTop and the new issue WE300bs last night. High n Dry, Hysteria, then Eliminator start to finish. Just couldn’t seem to stop.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Lampi does not run valves the way amplifiers or pre amps do, so all these will last forever.. Many years
New owner of a Lampizator Pacific (bought used). Came with KR 242s and KR 300Bs. One of the 242s seemed to fail within a couple of weeks of getting the DAC (heard a popping dound on the right channel and the soundstage seemed to shift to the left channel). The KR 300Bs are working fine still. Previous owner said he put in a few hundred hours on the 242s. I have an Amplitrex AT1000 tube tester that I’d like to use to measure all four KR 242s. Does anyone have the data sheet listing it’s complete specs. I have an email out to the Best300B folks, who said they will get me one by tomorrow. Anyone here tested the KR 242s on a tube tester and can share your settings? Thanks.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
New owner of a Lampizator Pacific (bought used). Came with KR 242s and KR 300Bs. One of the 242s seemed to fail within a couple of weeks of getting the DAC (heard a popping dound on the right channel and the soundstage seemed to shift to the left channel). The KR 300Bs are working fine still. Previous owner said he put in a few hundred hours on the 242s. I have an Amplitrex AT1000 tube tester that I’d like to use to measure all four KR 242s. Does anyone have the data sheet listing it’s complete specs. I have an email out to the Best300B folks, who said they will get me one by tomorrow. Anyone here tested the KR 242s on a tube tester and can share your settings? Thanks.
Here you go...
By the way what is your downstream electronics? Bare in mind if your used Pac was set and shipped to you with high gain setting with 242 in it may be an overkill for the pre...check this as well.

Cheers;
G

Attachments

• data KR242.pdf
    11.5 KB · Views: 6

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Here you go...
By the way what is your downstream electronics? Bare in mind if your used Pac was set and shipped to you with high gain setting with 242 in it may be an overkill for the pre...check this as well.

Cheers;
G
Great, thanks. Here’s my system info. The ARC Ref 3 preamp can handle up to 20 V maximum input in balanced mode. My Pacific is balanced. Gain is not an issue with 242s, the preamp is quite bullet proof.

Electronics: Audio Research Ref 3, Audio Research Ref 210 mono block tube amps
Speakers: Quad 2905, Harbeth Monitor 40.1
Digital: Lampizator DasKomputer, Lampizator Pacific, CEC TL 0 CD transport
Vinyl: Garrard 301, SME 312s, Miyajima Infinity Zero cartridge, SME 20/12, SME V12 arm, Koetsu Onyx Agate, Audio Research Ref Phono 3SE.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I had Ref6 with 242 so no issue with that. Check the tubes but i/we didn't hear many cases around here (if at all) that 242s were having issues after low hours. Was the case with 300b in the beginning but they ironed it out. Fingers crossed you define the problem

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Chris Terraneau who built my Amplitrex 1000 tube tester sent me this note suggesting that the pin configuration of the KR 242 tubes is nonstandard. Anyone else know anything about this? We were trying to figure out the right way to test the KR 242 tube on the Amplitrex tester.

note from Chris below:

”Again, this is the KR242 with a British B4 base. Apparently, Telefunken made them with both bases, and chose to reverse the common, American, use of pin 2 as plate and pin 3 as grid on a 4-pin tube. (I think it's officially called UX-4).

And apparently KR also made them with both base types. Too bad KR chose to assign plate and grid to opposite pins from 300B, 2A3, and other common D-H Triodes on their UX-4 base version.”

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Don't mix Telefunken RS242 with KR 242 as they are totally different tubes.
KR made 242 with UX4 pins and with B4 pins. As yours are with UX4 base pinout should/has to be the same as for the 300b and other DHTs used in Pacific as otherwise you would need an adapter

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
This is all a bit confusing. It should be clear what the pinout configuration is for a tube and what the parameters are for testing them. Based on my admittedly limited experience so far, I’m going to avoid KR 242 tubes, if for no other reason than lack of availability, price, inability to test them and questionable reliability. Fortunately 45s are available relatively cheaply on eBay and other places, easily testable, and seem to perform well in my Pacific. They sound a bit more mellow than more dynamic. 242. The 300Bs are also a good choice, availability is great and there’s a huge range of options and prices. I can also test them and there’s no confusion on pins. I like the Pacific so far. Having owned DACs for almost 30 years at all price levels, the Pacific seems to live up to its reputation. Tube reliability is the only question remaining on my mind.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Sounds like Goran is referring to the original WE.
Try to svetlana 5u4g . Cheap tube. About 90% of the we 274b engraved base that I have .I imagine that gap will close one lie I burn the tube in

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
So what is the verdict between rk242 vs the px25s? Not the rk px25 but the gec and osram /Marconi px25s?

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Try to svetlana 5u4g . Cheap tube. About 90% of the we 274b engraved base that I have .I imagine that gap will close one lie I burn the tube in
I just bought a NOS WE 274b tube, most expensive rectifier I have ever bought! But, OMG, it completely blew me away how much it improved the sound of my Pacific with the KR 300b tubes. it reveals layers of detail completely obscured by the KR rectifier I was previously using. If you haven’t hear the Pacific using the WE 274b, you don’t know what you’re missing. Bad news: they are expensive and hard to get, but street prices are about $1600-$2600. Worth every penny.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
I just bought a NOS WE 274b tube, most expensive rectifier I have ever bought! But, OMG, it completely blew me away how much it improved the sound of my Pacific with the KR 300b tubes. it reveals layers of detail completely obscured by the KR rectifier I was previously using. If you haven’t hear the Pacific using the WE 274b, you don’t know what you’re missing. Bad news: they are expensive and hard to get, but street prices are about $1600-$2600. Worth every penny.
Indeed. i have the engraved base 274b . make sure the one you get is the engraved base. i have compared this with many other rectifiers - u52 etcetc but the 274 always sounds best. The svetlana is actually pretty good for the price - 90% of the 274b and cheap as. if you look at the construction of the svetlana - its really quite intricate on the inside. the rk 5u4g is not there for me as well. having said that the rk px25s actually are quite amazing - love them so much i have started to get other px25s - marconi , gec. expensive but the sound should be good:). in the grander scheme i spend 10k on a fuse and 20k on cables - tubes are relatively cheap

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Here’s the WE 274b I bought. Not sure if it has the engraved base you mentioned.

Attachments

• CD0D996A-A8AA-4088-A9A2-A6AED79FDADB.jpeg
    CD0D996A-A8AA-4088-A9A2-A6AED79FDADB.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 23

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing