Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
I have purchased Linlai via aliexpress (linlai tube store if I remember correctly).
Psvane - there is an official dealer here in Europe (4hifi), prices are reasonable and with full warranty - so I use it.

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
If you want very neutral but resolving recti, I have very good experience with Linlai Elite E274B. I can definitely recommend it. I am using it in my Lampi GG2 swapping with Psvane ACME (but that one is warm and colored). I prefer both to KR 5U4G and 274B and I prefer it over EML recti, which I happen to have as well. Never tried Takatsuki, as price seems insane to me.
Would you care to elaborate what it is about the EML recti that you don't care for?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have been listening to both rectifiers in the picture below with the 242s. Both are very worthy. Not sure which one I like better.

1639335634815.jpeg

Reactions: iain and timztunz

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
So it seems the new Horizon thread has taken some air out of this one. There are several tube rolling comments there on DHTs -which aren’t even used in the Horizon.

I guess maybe comments on tube rolling for the Horizon will eventually end up here.

Anyway, I recently got out a few OS quads and retested over the past week. I ended up still preferring the WE 300b though- fuller bottom end, more natural highs and midrange more fleshed out.I used a Tak 274b Recti for all testing.

My order of preference currently:
WE 300b reissue
WE 101fa
TJ 300b mesh globes
RCA ST shaped 112a
Philco ST shaped 01a

Last edited:
Reactions: iain and abeidrov

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
In the Pacific when using a Bendix 6900 in place of the 6n6p what adapter should be used?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have not heard anyone say that replacing the 6n6p would have a significant effect on the sound. Has anyone tried this?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
No adapter needed as those are noval tubes in that position. If 6900 can be used so maybe then also 5687, e182cc or 7119 tube can be tried.

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Thanks, Goren! TKK is suggesting an adapter should be used. I’ve emailed Lukasz asking about this and am waiting to hear from him…

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Thanks, Goren! TKK is suggesting an adapter should be used. I’ve emailed Lukasz asking about this and am waiting to hear from him…
6n6p is good. Been using them for more than a decade in my 211 monoblocks. So cheap replacing them every 3 or 4 years seems worth it. I was surprised the last time I did it.

Everything is a variable. It's really nice to see someone questioning this. An answer will be interesting but I wouldn't get too hung up about Bendix 6900. It'll just sound different. Maybe in a way you like, or maybe not.

If you are that curious you can play with other aspects. Like capacitors and resistors.

IMHO though, power tubes make the most difference in triode based Lampis. Rectifiers less so.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I thought I'd chime in here about a recent recti change that impressed me. I recently bought a NOS Dutch Philips/Amperex GZ34 for my GG2 and am very pleased. It is a fuller sound on the bottom than my EML 274b and is musical, balanced, articulate, and dynamic as hell. It took a few days to break-in and after a week, it was singing. A wow for me. I have no desire to replace it with anything at the moment because it has knitted the system together so nicely in the GG2. I know this sounds almost naive for an experienced tube user to say, but I never realized how critical the recti sets the the overall balance of the 3-legged stool with the choice of Lampi output tubes (using std KR 242 again), and choice of amplifier as the other 2 legs!

I'm sure I'll circle back to the EML 274b to validate the GZ34 one of these days, but for now, I'm in heaven with the GZ34. A few nights nights ago, it was one of those "don't want to go to sleep because the system never sounded so good". When audiophiles have nights like that, it's such a special treat because the older one gets, the rarer they seem to occur.

Hard to believe the sound that comes out of this mighty little tube, but it's certainly worth exploring and it's relatively inexpensive (about $250).
If you are considering this tube, please be aware that there are Amperex/Philips GZ34 that are Dutch made (easy to see on the date code as "K" or "L") and those make in Blackburn by Mullard ("B" in the date code). I have not yet tried the latter but both have enjoyed great reviews. (I have a Mullard on order).

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
IMHO though, power tubes make the most difference in triode based Lampis. Rectifiers less so.
That has been my experience. A good rectifier isn’t going to make a bad DHT sound good. However, if you have a DHT that you like, different rectifiers can improve the sound.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Definitely adapter is needed as it is not the same pinout between 6n6p and e182cc/6900/5687&7119!!
A bit more info on pinout:

No idea where to source the adapter...ups seems like I found it - i guess its this one...

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
BIG THANKS for the help with this, Goren! I will probably have the 6900's in late January and will post my findings...

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Prompted by @marty ’s comments I decided to try my metal base Mullard GZ34 in my Pacific along with my 242s. After letting it play for 3-4 hours since the tube hasn’t been used in several years and doesn’t have many hours in it, I started to listen and I like what I hear. The GZ34 seems to produce a bigger sound stage than the CV717 which is my favorite rectifier with the 242s. There is nothing about the frequency balance that I don’t like either but I need to listen more to fully assess the tube.

Reactions: timztunz

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing