Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

If you got 5c3s unfortunately people here underestimate it somewhat but in my humble opinion its a one might rectifier which your comment is confirming.
My factory rectifier is a 5U3C, but I don't see any brand name printed on it.

That's the one - there is only one 5c3s as such with no brand as there were no brands just different manufacturing facilities across USSR. Just leave it to work and burn in properly..

There’s another Soviet rectifier recommended to me as having potential to be an upper echelon performer - the BO-188. Is a 4 volt / B4 pin model, so needs a adapter and I will have one arriving next week to evaluate.

Which recti you got with your TRP (stock one)? But yes I do suggest you give them a serious consideration.
Linlai 5U4G

Not EML per se but tried quite a few of type 80 - Pope, RCA globe, etc. Among top performers from 5V ones

Reactions: Tuckia
Which are you referring to? The 120 Hz hum is coming from the GG's chassis, even with everything else disconnected from power. It seems a little louder when everything is connected, but when not is still audible from at least a few feet. The 60 Hz hum is heard via the active speakers when the VAC preamp feeding them is also turned on, varying with the volume level of dac and/or pre.

Follow up: I took my GG3 over to a local shop's test bench. The EML 45's didn't start up on first try, but after swapping in the Sophia's and then coming back, they came on. The result was dead silence.

Right now, everything is piled into my living room due to water damage awaiting rebuild, but when that clears up I'll have to look for the 120 Hz (and 60 Hz) culprit elsewhere.

Follow up: I took my GG3 over to a local shop's test bench. The EML 45's didn't start up on first try, but after swapping in the Sophia's and then coming back, they came on. The result was dead silence.

Right now, everything is piled into my living room due to water damage awaiting rebuild, but when that clears up I'll have to look for the 120 Hz (and 60 Hz) culprit elsewhere.
Oof. Sorry to hear that.

But at least you have a clearer direction to look for the hum. Any chance the wiring / circuits can be improved while the repairs are being done?

Not necessarily - - the 120 hz hum could be from your electrical feed interacting with the GG3's transformer. I had a GG that had a mechanical transformer hum in my home, but was dead quiet at the previous owner's place, as well as at the Lampi tech shop when I sent it in for updates. But back my place, hum. My electrical feed seems to provoke that in gear, if at all possible. My Pacific had a similar issue. I'm grateful that my Horizon is dead quiet. Now, if my Taiko Extreme would stop its mechanical "singing", and my CHP M10, too....

So tubes.... Lampi used what they think is best that can be regularly sourced. At least in lower models, my B4, seems universally accepted NOS is better than the PSVs. For me, NOS is definitely better. Now NOS sellers will tell you nothing new production can compete with old stock. They may be biased... So my point.

I didn't know there were other well regarded new production tubes. Some say Sophia Electric is better than Emissions Labs and visa versa. Not exactly cheap. Just as much as NOS for some. Not as much as unobtanium NOS like 274Bs. Is Sophia Electric really that good? Is it just tube dependent? I know many here rave even compared to NOS. I'm basically looking at 274B. My LTA has Mullard xf2 EL34s. Maybe spares?

I purchased the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B because I did not want to pay $1300 for a Tak274B. Once I put it in and heard the difference over the KR 5U4G I was sold.
All of the tubes in my H are NOS tubes. In my system they were way better than the stock tubes provided.

Had some Acupanel installed.

Tesla RD27AS sounding awesome with the caveat of unnatural sibilance on TV shows. That said, with music it never seems to be an issue.

Strange.

Seriously, though. The setup is sounding excellent. Acupanel with dipoles works.

Rough placement at the moment precise positioning yet to occur.

Just had the Accuphase M-60s back from repair. Sounding well beyond what you might consider plausible.

Sorry about the blurred night time picture.

That said L7 are telling me that you make my Shitlist. Are they right? Or did you believe in American banks?

Attachments

• IMG20230325221027.jpg
    IMG20230325221027.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Reactions: iain and Golum
Tesla RD27AS sounding fucking awesome ...
You scored them now? Have not seen any being on the offer for the last few years...fantastic tube

I rate them higher with the Acupanel installed.

Here's a picture so you can see it better. It's only just gone in, so some tube rolling needs to be done to find the best pick with the panelling in.

I haven't seen any for sale, either. Seems like we got lucky Goran.

Attachments

• IMG20230321103126.jpg
    IMG20230321103126.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: christoph and Golum
I rate them higher with the Acupanel installed.

Here's a picture so you can see it better. It's only just gone in, so some tube rolling needs to be done to find the best pick with the panelling in.

I haven't seen any for sale, either. Seems like we got lucky Goran.
Those treated walls looks very nice :cool:
Do you have specs about the damping over frequency of those panels?
What are the room dimensions?

What was the issue with the old Accus? Just recapping?
Do you still have your gorgeous 211 amps?
What is your preferred amp these days? You still have the big Luxman?

Last edited:
You scored them now? Have not seen any being on the offer for the last few years...fantastic tube
One thing about RD27AS that I have never put into words and I think it does better than anything in my collection is the image placement.

It can quite readily put images well forward, well back and in the plane of the speakers and everything in between as a simple matter of course. And wherever it places something it does it with precision.

In other words it gives the impression of knowing where things actually are in the sound stage like nothing else does.

It's a neat trick.

Curious if anyone has intel on KR Audio re-starting production anytime in the future on the 242's?

Is KR Audio producing any tubes of any type at the moment?

Sorry if this has already been covered.

Reactions: iain

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing