Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Totally different use in H vs TRP so I’m kind of not surprised

Reactions: christoph

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Germany (100km north of Frankfurt)
Funny how the KT170 seems to be excellent in the Horizon :oops:
Are there any suggestions to improve on the 4 Tungsol KT 170 in the Horizon?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Are there any suggestions to improve on the 4 Tungsol KT 170 in the Horizon?
Please check the H rolling thread - many proposals there

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
*To keep this on-subject in the thread, I'm planning to test the Sophia Electric KT-88 long life tubes, the KR KT-88s and probably the EAT KT-88s, so I personally know how they all compare. I know the EATs are extremely expensive but if they last 10+ years as Lampizator posits in the owner's manual, it may be worth the money. The only way I can answer that is if I personally compare what may the best of current-production tubes for the Atlantic 3.

Great!

Is EAT still selling these tubes? I have a feeling maybe not.

Have you acquired the KR KT-88s yet?

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
If a KR 5U4G has a plain white base (no writing), and the shape is the square shape, not the coke bottle, what version is this (Anniversary, Limited Edition, or just an ordinary, non-special version)?

The reason I ask is, I have seen several people referring to a "plain white base" square KR 5U4G as being the "Anniversary Edition".

I could be wrong, but the "Anniversary" Edition KR 5U4G tubes were released in 2016 and came in both coke bottle shape (black base) and the square version with white base, but in either case, these have writing on the base, noting the 2016 date and Special Anniversary Edition.

I have Riccardo Kron versions from 2018 and also back up plain white base coke bottle shape KR 5U4G's, so I am not asking about those.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
If a KR 5U4G has a plain white base (no writing), and the shape is the square shape, not the coke bottle, what version is this (Anniversary, Limited Edition, or just an ordinary, non-special version)?

The reason I ask is, I have seen several people referring to a "plain white base" square KR 5U4G as being the "Anniversary Edition".

I could be wrong, but the "Anniversary" Edition KR 5U4G tubes were released in 2016 and came in both coke bottle shape (black base) and the square version with white base, but in either case, these have writing on the base, noting the 2016 date and Special Anniversary Edition.

I have Riccardo Kron versions from 2018 and also back up plain white base coke bottle shape KR 5U4G's, so I am not asking about those.
The square shape is always the Riccardo Kron Edition

Reactions: Blake

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Great!

I‘m supposedly on a waiting list with the US importer, but I’m not expecting any movement on that front very soon. I’m hoping for a little luck!

I have the KR KT-88s, as well as the Sophia Electric KT-88s. I will have to swap back to the KRs to determine which is better in my system. The Atlantic 3 is so new, it was early in the break-in process when the KRs were installed.

I also popped In the Takatsuki 274B two nights ago. I‘m assuming it has a break in period as well, as early comparison against the factory rectifier was… less than exciting.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
The Atlantic 3 is so new, it was early in the break-in process when the KRs were installed.

I also popped In the Takatsuki 274B two nights ago. I‘m assuming it has a break in period as well, as early comparison against the factory rectifier was… less than exciting.
But how do you like your TRP so far?
What DAC did you have before?

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
I'm keeping it!

I had what I thought were high hopes, and this DAC continues to exceed them. I now understand what people mean when they say they're drawn into the music. I've had far too many late nights - really, early mornings - in the past week that were driven solely by "just one more song", even as I was falling asleep.

I came from a Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC, which I bought used as a "placeholder" while I was waiting for another DAC to be released. I hadn't heard of Lampizator and never would have been exposed to it, but someone posted a list of DACs they were considering and a discussion of pros and cons on each. The Atlantic 3 TRP was on the list (and was also what he settled on.)

I'm soooo glad I read that thread.

Edit: I just have to add - it's so good that I've had to "recalibrate" my 1-10 scale. It's wild to contemplate how a Horizon must sound.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Great!

The KR KT-88 is not the EAT KT-88.

The EAT is a massively price hiked rebranded and amazing sounding Tesla Vrsovice KT-88. That said, these days they might not be as they were when I owned the Teslas. I think they probably still are, though.

One of the only tubes/valves that convinced me modern valves have some hope. Unfortunately neither KR or EML have managed to convince me in the same way. Over a wide range of their offerings.

Once £80 per Tesla Vrsovice KT-88. 15 years ago or around there.

The price of such great sonics was unreliability in an Air Tight ATM-2. Crying shame. But at the quoted price I'd order 50 of them tomorrow.

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
I assume you mean that figuratively rather than literally, and based on what I've read that's what I'm hoping to prove to myself.

I know the EAT tubes are absurdly expensive, but given how gently they'll be run in the DAC I'm willing to roll the dice *so I know personally* how they perform.

Hopefully I can procure a matched quad of them. For now, I'll just have to "suffer" with the Sophia KT-88s that I'm running at the moment. (I'll probably swap the KRs back in next weekend for a "fully broken in" comparison.)

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I‘m supposedly on a waiting list with the US importer, but I’m not expecting any movement on that front very soon. I’m hoping for a little luck!

I have the KR KT-88s, as well as the Sophia Electric KT-88s. I will have to swap back to the KRs to determine which is better in my system. The Atlantic 3 is so new, it was early in the break-in process when the KRs were installed.

I strongly advise you to procure Siemens f2a and void spending money on KT88. If you got 5c3s unfortunately people here underestimate it somewhat but in my humble opinion its a one might rectifier which your comment is confirming.

Reactions: Phon@ix

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
If you like to go the shortest way to tweak your TRP: f2a (if you prefer warm midrange sound try also Sophia el34), SR purple or AM ultimate fuse, solid absorber stuff (Rollerblocks or whatever) + some nice rectifiers and you‘re done…

Last edited:

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
I strongly advise you to procure Siemens f2a and void spending money on KT88. If you got 5c3s unfortunately people here underestimate it somewhat but in my humble opinion its a one might rectifier which your comment is confirming.
Golum, I’m not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that the 5c3s is worth listening to in the TRP? If so, which one(s)?

I’m currently using the Sophia aqua 274b.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Golum, I’m not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that the 5c3s is worth listening to in the TRP? If so, which one(s)?

I’m currently using the Sophia aqua 274b.
Which recti you got with your TRP (stock one)? But yes I do suggest you give them a serious consideration.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing