Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
You are saying that your Pacific does not have 2 switches underneath the top cover which can cut the output by x dB (I forget the amount)?
Well, I can't tell you, as I no longer have it in my possession. And I never took the cover off to see what was in there, so color me ignorant on this.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Any GG3 owners? Does yours have an internal hum when turned on? Mine does when a recti is inserted and can be heard from the listening position 7-8' away. It doesn't vary with the VC, so I assume it's 120 Hz. I'm trying to figure out if this is the nature of the beast, a defective cap or something, or a ground loop. To check, I disconnected the ICs and with an extension cord plugged it into a distant outlet, but the full internal hum was still there. That suggests either the condo has a ground loop or it's the dac.

bozebuttons

Nov 6, 2022
Any GG3 owners? Does yours have an internal hum when turned on? Mine does when a recti is inserted and can be heard from the listening position 7-8' away. It doesn't vary with the VC, so I assume it's 120 Hz. I'm trying to figure out if this is the nature of the beast, a defective cap or something, or a ground loop. To check, I disconnected the ICs and with an extension cord plugged it into a distant outlet, but the full internal hum was still there. That suggests either the condo has a ground loop or it's the dac.
Did you try a cheater plug to lift the ground for the short time to see if hum lessons

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Did you try a cheater plug to lift the ground for the short time to see if hum lessons

Just tried with extension cord in distant outlet, the dac’s ICs disconnected and other sources muted or turned off. Hum still there when (any) rectifier is inserted, but none without (the other two tubes in).. Hum level seems the same between three prong and cheater. I think it’s internal.(capacitor?), but don’t know how to figure out if condo otherwise has a ground loop, to be absolutely sure, which is what Poland asked.

Last edited:

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Did your DAC just begin exhibiting this behavior or has it been an ongoing problem? If it's new, what changed? (I'll point out it could be internal to your system, internal to your house or even external - something the power company changed, for example.)

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
It’s been there since the dac came in November (GG2 to GG3 upgrade). What I don’t recall, or never noticed, is sticking my ear close to check if my former TRP 2/3 did the same thing. If it is external, why or what would cause plugging in the rectifier to be the difference, given that in the test the unit is isolated from everything but the condo’s electrical system? Normally, it like everything else is plugged into a PS Audio P15 regenerator.

Last edited:

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
So before the upgrade, it didn't hum? Or did you initially acquire it with the GG3 upgrade?

Seems like someone with a GG3 needs to comment on theirs, though I would also expect if they could hear the hum from 8' away you'd easily find that in a forum search. You're in North America, right? It may be time to contact Lampizator NA...

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I acquired a GG2 that became a 3 on the way. The only changes made recently were putting QSA fuses in place of SR’s, coating everything that wasn’t already with HFC’s Q45t contact enhancer and swapping in a pair of Lampi EML 45 Mesh Anniv. to replace WE 300B’s (setting adjusted). I’ve been in touch with both LampiNA and Poland. Understandably there is a heavy bias against hum being a hardware issue, which is why I asked if there are any GG3 owners were around.

Last edited:

bozebuttons

Nov 6, 2022
I acquired a GG2 that became a 3 on the way. The only changes made recently were putting QSA fuses in place of SR’s, coating everything that wasn’t already with HFC’s Q45t contact enhancer and swapping in a pair of Lampi EML 45 Mesh Anniv. to replace WE 300B’s (setting adjusted). I’ve been in touch with both LampiNA and Poland. Understandably there is a heavy bias against hum being a hardware issue, which is why I asked if there are any GG3 owners were around.
Do you know anyone local at another location then your condo you can insert your GG3 Only,replace the fuse & clean all contacts that have
HFCs Q45T change rectifier to isolate hum to GG3

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
A tube guy recommended that you run tubes at low volume for 100 hours to bias. Do you think that applies to Lampi dacs too? Thoughts?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
If you explain me how to run them at low vol and bias them in Lampi would be great:cool:

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Haha. No idea. Just what the dude who sold me the tubes sad :) I guess that means no….

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Any update on this? Did you try taking it to a friend’s house or perhaps your office to see if different power solves the hum issue?

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
A tube guy recommended that you run tubes at low volume for 100 hours to bias. Do you think that applies to Lampi dacs too? Thoughts?
Never heard this. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Tubes do need to break in, but run normally they should break in just fine. For amplifiers that do not use auto biasing, like CJs or older ARCs, it is common to check bias levels every few days in the beginning. Newer ARC amps like the 160Ms are auto biasing.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Any update on this? Did you try taking it to a friend’s house or perhaps your office to see if different power solves the hum issue?
I've arranged to take it to a local AV shop next week. I also have a 60 Hz (bass) hum that started a few weeks ago, the kind one gets when a cable isn't connected correctly, but so far haven't found it the normal ways.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
I've arranged to take it to a local AV shop next week. I also have a 60 Hz (bass) hum that started a few weeks ago, the kind one gets when a cable isn't connected correctly, but so far haven't found it the normal ways.
Was the hum coming from the speakers or the chassis?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Was the hum coming from the speakers or the chassis?
Which are you referring to? The 120 Hz hum is coming from the GG's chassis, even with everything else disconnected from power. It seems a little louder when everything is connected, but when not is still audible from at least a few feet. The 60 Hz hum is heard via the active speakers when the VAC preamp feeding them is also turned on, varying with the volume level of dac and/or pre.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Which are you referring to? The 120 Hz hum is coming from the GG's chassis, even with everything else disconnected from power. It seems a little louder when everything is connected, but when not is still audible from at least a few feet. The 60 Hz hum is heard via the active speakers when the VAC preamp feeding them is also turned on, varying with the volume level of dac and/or pre.
I would test with one of these...

this could be a difference in impedance from your electricity compared to a power transformer...handy tool to have.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I would test with one of these...

this could be a difference in impedance from your electricity compared to a power transformer...handy tool to have.
Power to the GG and all my system comes through a PS Audio regenerator (P15). I would have thought it takes care of the DC voltage. Have to ask.

I can see where the Humdinger could be a handy tool for diagnosis, although as a keeper it comes at the price of one or two costly power cords.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Power to the GG and all my system comes through a PS Audio regenerator (P15). I would have thought it takes care of the DC voltage. Have to ask.
I would take the DAC to a competent engineer familiar with working with tube/valve gear.

Don't talk to or expect Lampizator to fix that. Been there, done that. Total failure and denial there was a problem. Old story.

Seriously. Get a decent engineer on it. It'll cost way less than wanking around with Lampizator. And the result will probably far exceed your expectations.

Reactions: Willgolf

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing