Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
What's up guys, new here. Read plenty, figured this was as good as any for a generic question. I have a LTA Z40 int. First tube amp and know what that did. Rolled tubes know what that did. I ordered a Lampi DAC. I'm comfortable that they know how to make a good DAC. I like the idea of a tube DAC. What I am not getting is... How do you know what is just tube goodness, and what is actually a good DAC? Clearly the tubes have a big impact on sound and performance... So how can you tell the performance of the DAC itself?

I do have specific tube questions, but still reading a lot.

Reactions: Willgolf

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I can only speak from experience with Lampi DACs (GG1, GG2, Pacific, Horizon) and would say that irrespective of what tubes you are using, there is a "house sound" or character that is consistent throughout. Rolling the tubes will emphasise various aspects of that sound according to taste. Think of it like seasoning a meal - the food tastes good, but the right amount of salt and pepper can create a wow moment.

Reactions: christoph

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
And I have asked elsewhere... What exactly is their "house sound"? I have not really got an answer.

Thank you.

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Perhaps this helps a bit, but bear in mind the "digital engine" was revised since this review, with trickle down developments that suggest it's materially improved from the version reviewed: https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/lampizator-altlantic-trp-dac/

Now, if you're looking for something else - say, your budget accommodates the Horizon - you'll have to look elsewhere. Though if you're considering one of the models between the Atlantic and Horizon, I believe they sound fairly similar to the Atlantic with Engine 11.

My Atlantic is en route to me right now, so I've not experienced a Lampizator DAC in person. I'm expecting neutral, revealing, excellent "body" to voices and instruments, and the ability to tune it all with tubes. I'm a customer due to their current reputation as well as their upgrade policy, which allows one to upgrade to higher-level DACs with favorable credit for an existing DAC.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The house Lampi sound isn't really anything to do with Lampizator and far more to do with using valves as an output stage.

They vary a lot by tube type, but basically expect the sound to be very immediate and very spacious compared to most other DACs for the triode output stages, and a bit more relaxed and toned down for the pentode based ones.

But really, the house sound is best described as being right in your face or ears with loads of detail. Go elsewhere for something easy going.

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Baltic 4 with I2S
My Atlantic 3 (balanced, no volume control) arrived and I made time a few days ago to put it in my system. There's a problem with one of the signal tubes so I'm waiting for replacements, but in the meanwhile I have some Golden Dragon EL-34s that I purchased in the early '90s for an amp, and those are at least reasonably functional in the DAC.

I expect the replacements - and the KT-88s* coming as well - will be better than my EL-34s, but this DAC is still breaking in and is already wonderful. There's considerably more information than with my Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC, but it's also smooth, the soundstage is wider and deeper, and strings, brass, piano, voices all sound more natural and three dimensional.

I write that to say that initial, compromised break-in testing suggests the sound of at least this Lampizator is just that: neutral(ish, depending on tubes), detailed, not harsh, with excellent "body." I'm amazed by the sound of cymbals and strings, even with "just" these EL-34s.

*To keep this on-subject in the thread, I'm planning to test the Sophia Electric KT-88 long life tubes, the KR KT-88s and probably the EAT KT-88s, so I personally know how they all compare. I know the EATs are extremely expensive but if they last 10+ years as Lampizator posits in the owner's manual, it may be worth the money. The only way I can answer that is if I personally compare what may the best of current-production tubes for the Atlantic 3.

Reactions: christoph

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Get yourself Siemens f2a or Telefunken el12 spez -> both need adapters and be done with tubes...

Reactions: Bbock

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Get yourself Siemens f2a or Telefunken el12 spez -> both need adapters and be done with tubes...
I second Golum’s comments!

Reactions: Golum

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Care to suggest a reliable resource that can ship me a matched quad? (Delivery to USA.). All I can find are eBay listings, and I’m not inclined to buy from an unknown seller there.

And where can one find the adapters?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Your TRP is balanced? Massive PITA to find matched NOS tubes but searching for them its part of the charm…
BTW i buy majority from eBay and never had an issues…

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
Care to suggest a reliable resource that can ship me a matched quad? (Delivery to USA.). All I can find are eBay listings, and I’m not inclined to buy from an unknown seller there.

And where can one find the adapters?
Brent Jesse Recording

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
I've used Brent Jesse before and would buy again but there isn't any stock on either of the tubes Golum mentions above.

Oh - @Golum yes, my Atlantic is balanced.

Reactions: Golum

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
I've used Brent Jesse before and would buy again but there isn't any stock on either of the tubes Golum mentions above.

Oh - @Golum yes, my Atlantic is balanced.
Even if his site says in stock, he is out of a lot now. I would use other retailers like tube depot, but they don't have much at all. Like you, I have looked on ebay... But I just think it's sketchy. Part of that is my ignorance of really knowing what I am looking at. There are some pretty big sellers though with a train load of history and reviews so obviously that gives better warm fuzzy.

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Pretty sure I’m going to be supporting current producers of (hopefully reasonable sounding) signal tubes, especially since I need matched quads.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Certainly a challenge of owning a balanced Lampizator, finding matched quads! This is one reason I went with a single-ended Lampi.

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
Pretty sure I’m going to be supporting current producers of (hopefully reasonable sounding) signal tubes, especially since I need matched quads.
My friend has a Prima Luna. After I get my awesome DAC I'll have to give his PL tubes another listen. We did before... I gave him my Mullard to try... But could tell a big difference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing