Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I have a tube question regarding the balanced Golden Gate. I understand it can be run in single ended mode. How does this work? I also gather you get to use just a pair of DHT tubes rather than a quad - does this mean the socket pair right before the rectifier gets to remain empty? Also, is there a switch to turn on this single ended functionality on a balance GG?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Had a balanced GG and apparently it can work as you described - two back DHT tubes pluged in but i did not try. There si no switch for this mode. Anyhow i was bothered with this, as i love to tube roll so went to gg2 SE and could not be happier...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The thing is if you don't roll you won't be able to optimize your GG, and that is more important than whether it is balanced or single ended. Balanced guys by default have to spend much more tube rolling (also weak used market for quads) so they end up not optimizing

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
bonzo75 ... about rolling ... that's true ;).

Wait, you can still roll rectis :)

As an owner of balanced version I asked Lukasz about using only 1 pair. His answer was, in general it is not possible. May only by on short time, let say no more than a minute, just to compare. Tubes are exposed on higher ... "current" (Don't remember). And you use the two back slots. Moreover, the comparison may be false because of this current mismatch.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was under the impression based on reading Lampi forums that a sustained use of a pair of tubes in a balanced GG was possible.

Sablon

Jun 1, 2014
That was my understanding also Etor. Since the output circuitry is duplicated for balanced signal, one could use just a single pair of tubes for rca output.

Reactions: adamaley

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I have sucessfully used the back pair of sockets only on my Pacific when connected single ended.
That's great to hear. It will be great to confirm that this is also the case in a fully specced GG.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I have krpx25 on order. Once i have them, im happy to sen you my rk px4s to compare.
Very much looking fw for your opinion on those two pairs!

Cheers John!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I heard the RK PX4 in Warschau (Audio show) on GG2 (refurbished GG to GG2 level) in comparison to Kron 45. The PX4 had more overall power and dynamics, the Kron 45 more inner detail in that particular set up.The standard Kron PX4 is playing on my GG2 with a very good performance. My Koda K10 needs some input power, which is delivered from the PX4 type of tube.

Juergen

ps
I still have a nearly new pair of RK300b on sales :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
KR 45 is not good enough. KR PX4 is better but not as good as PX25 generally, or Lampi 45s, or 242s when they are well matched to the system

Reactions: gian60 and Golum

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
So, would you say the PX25s are a better all-rounder if one wants to avoid the high gain 242s in spite of their dynamic abilities?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
PX25 and Lampi 45 is a safe way to enjoy Lampi at its best from day 1. You should buy a 242 and keep it, as you rotate preamps it might one day work and your system will go up many fold. Or you. Can send it back to Poland and tell them what your system is and make the GG work with the 242. But always good to have one of PX25 and Lampi 45 as back up. To see which of those two work best in your system, buy / borrow both, and try and then let one go. Now you see why balanced makes it more expensive

Reactions: gian60

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I'm more concerned about excessive gain, which was reported in your facebook shootout from 2016. The consensus also seemed to be that the PX4s were better than the PX25s. Am I understanding that you are saying the PX25s are better (higher gain aside)? I already have a Tak 274B incoming, and based on my readings, thanks to the generous souls like yourself who go out of their way to share their knowledge, I narrowed things down to the PX4s.

A related question - Does the fact that I will be using the VC on the GG render my amp's gain issues a non-issue?

After going this deep into the high end with this DAC, I don't think I can be shy about spending the money to get the best out of it, balanced or single-ended.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi PX4 has never been better than PX25 except in a one off very high gain system. I don't report on FB, so it will be my thread shared on FB. Most probably that would have been by the UK distro, on
In which case he and I were at a guy's who had over a 100db speakers. PX25 don't work well in his system

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Maybe a summary of what I am looking for is required. I have a SET amp which is tailored towards a mid-centric, microdynamic, timbrally harmonic sound. I am looking to maintain that and at the same time add an expanded soundstage, better layering but at the same time deepen and tighten the bass, and extend the highs. All this without losing that "magic".

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Maybe a summary of what I am looking for is required. I have a SET amp which is tailored towards a mid-centric, microdynamic, timbrally harmonic sound. I am looking to maintain that and at the same time add an expanded soundstage, better layering but at the same time deepen and tighten the bass, and extend the highs. All this without losing that "magic".

This will happen with any tube that works well in your system.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Hi PX4 has never been better than PX25 except in a one off very high gain system. I don't report on FB, so it will be my thread shared on FB. Most probably that would have been by the UK distro, on
In which case he and I were at a guy's who had over a 100db speakers. PX25 don't work well in his system

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense, and is exactly why I am at the mercy of the group here to learn and be guided in the right direction.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I'll switch my focus to the PX25s as a great better than average starter set for the amp and do some more research into them. Anyone with experience using them with the Tak rectifier?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing