Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: gian60

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The EML globe anniversary solid plate is quieter and more nuanced than the gone anniversary mesh or the Lampi 45. This is better on Greg's horns when listening to violin and piano. On vocals the mesh are better. In the KR preamp, the mesh gave a bigger stage and air but were noisier so I preferred the KR 45, which I don't like in the Lampi at all

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
EML 25th anniversary globe (solid plate) 45 $1,800/pr negotiaable (unobtanium, may already be gone)

For the ones we have? :eek::eek:

Reactions: audioquattr

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
The EML globe anniversary solid plate is quieter and more nuanced than the gone anniversary mesh or the Lampi 45. This is better on Greg's horns when listening to violin and piano. On vocals the mesh are better.
Norman liked the EML 45 mesh AGs on voices quite a lot ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
You can play this in Lampi? I love el34 and 84 in amps
in the upcoming all new Atlantic 2 DAC. TRP as Lukasz calls it... Tube Rollers Paradise :D

Reactions: bonzo75

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Fell asleep and woke up to a well of information here. I'll try to get my hands on RK5U4Gs. What's a great source for these?

I'll look into PX25s one the dust settles on the PX4/242 suitability checks are done. If anyone in the US has a pair I can try, I'll be very grateful.

Great to know that the EML 300b XLS is a candidate. It's unlike any other 300b IMO. It soundstages, and does dynamics and bass slam like crazy. I sold my pair, which I used in my amp, to a buddy who lives close to me after hearing the Elrog 300bs. They'll be very accessible for comparisons.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
The EML globe anniversary solid plate is quieter and more nuanced than the gone anniversary mesh or the Lampi 45. This is better on Greg's horns when listening to violin and piano. On vocals the mesh are better. In the KR preamp, the mesh gave a bigger stage and air but were noisier so I preferred the KR 45, which I don't like in the Lampi at all
Good to know (about the solid plate version).
The normal EML 45 mesh i have is the most noisy and sensible for emi of all the tubes i have.

How about the PX25? I am bit sceptical since my PX4's are ringing a lot, very mycrophonic.
At first it sound like wow, nice decay on piano etc. But than i found out it's the tube..

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good to know (about the solid plate version).
The normal EML 45 mesh i have is the most noisy and sensible for emi of all the tubes i have.

How about the PX25? I am bit sceptical since my PX4's are ringing a lot, very mycrophonic.
At first it sound like wow, nice decay on piano etc. But than i found out it's the tube..

I like PX25. Do you now have AS or balanced?

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
I like PX25. Do you now have AS or balanced?
Yes, but i meaned are those PX25 also ( a bit) noisy?
Or maybe somebody else can tell?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, but i meaned are those PX25 also ( a bit) noisy?
Or maybe somebody else can tell?

I don't think so, not like the mesh. They are like other valves. Microphony can happen due to a bad valve

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Read this while reading something on Sumile

“I recently realized that I've already reviewed close to 1'000 different hifi components and that of those, only a very small percentage ever made such a huge first impression. On the short list which did, we'd find big names like Kondo's Souga and Kagura, the Tenor Audio Phono 1, LampizatOr's Golden Gate, Ypsilon's VPS100, AirTight's PC3 and perhaps two or three others"

https://6moons.com/audioreviews2/sumile/2.html

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
AL, just get rid of the final character, the (") and all is well.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I got my Golden Gate SE yesterday. I have brand new Tak and RK5u4G rectis and a used set of PX4s. I have used 242s incoming. I've been burning the recti tubes in and haven't done any critical listening. From the little I've observed, the PX4s seem to prefer being paired with the RK5U4G rectifier.

I'll be trying a set of EML 300bXLS and Elrog 300bs, which are fully burned in later tonight.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I'm currently at work, but I can check that later this evening. Keep in mind, my DAC was shipped without stock tubes and has been modified from what it originally was.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
If I may ask what does the spec sheet say for tubes tested
Spec sheet doesn't mention what tubes the DAC was tested with. I just put EML 300B XLS tubes and they are significantly better than the PX4s. They work well with both rectifiers (RK5U4g and Takatsuki). Both rectis are still burning in so things may change over time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing