Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
I'll switch my focus to the PX25s as a great better than average starter set for the amp and do some more research into them. Anyone with experience using them with the Tak rectifier?

So far all the above is with rk 5U4g I belueve.
Seems the rk is king particularly with the Pacific. Awaiting feedback on the Tac recti

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
My SE GG DAC will arrive in about two weeks without any tubes so I'm looking to have a solid selection to test out once it arrives.

The Tak rectifier arrived today. I already have a pair of Elrog 300bs, Px4s and 242s are also incoming. I can also get my hands on EML 300b XLS - a tube no one surprisingly seems to talk about in regards to the Lampzator DACs. Descriptions of the sound of KR424s are in line with what this tube brings to the table.

I want to confirm that a complimentary rectifier to have on hand for testing and tuning my sound will be the KR 5U4G.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I picked the PX4 over the PX25 because it seems to be less like the 242 compared to the PX25. Also, I'm having 242 gain mods done to my DAC especially because my system has too much gain, and I don't want to be stuck with both the PX25 and 242s if the mod isn't sufficient in taming these two output tubes

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You have enough.300b. Wait to see if you like the elrog before buying more. Like everyone suggested try the PX25, and if you can get in the used market, am EML globe anniversary 45, mesh or otherwise, or the Lampi anniversary 45

Reactions: gian60 and wisnon

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
For anyone with a non pacific LAMPI be it SE or BAL there is a spec sheet they comes with your dac. First page near top it says the tube that was used to test and voice your specific. Dac. It is in most cases the best tube for your dac. While systems do make this a non must it is still the tube that's most balanced in sound. This is not as inportant in dacs that have a heater circuit that has multiple settings. But it seems most Lampi's now are setup for 300b tubes.
My dac was 2A3 Eml Mesh it is the tubes shipped or is by a large margin the best tube for it.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
My SE GG DAC will arrive in about two weeks without any tubes so I'm looking to have a solid selection to test out once it arrives.

The Tak rectifier arrived today. I already have a pair of Elrog 300bs, Px4s and 242s are also incoming. I can also get my hands on EML 300b XLS - a tube no one surprisingly seems to talk about in regards to the Lampzator DACs. Descriptions of the sound of KR424s are in line with what this tube brings to the table.

I want to confirm that a complimentary rectifier to have on hand for testing and tuning my sound will be the KR 5U4G.

True there's not a lot talk about EML 300b XLS , but it's my favourite 300b right now.
The Elrog's i allways like them very much when i put them in my Pac or in my Alieno amp, but Allways after 20-30 minutes i'm getting tired of them.
Tak 300b in lampi Dac i also very like it, better than most other 300b's for me, so IMHO.
I like the Tak 274b, gives a lot of soundstage and air, but only when the system is bass heavy and strong mids aswell. I prefer KR5U4.

Reactions: christoph

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

I have the EML 300b mesh. Meh. Kinda slow and mechanical.

Tak is great with all. The Chinese Shuguang 274 is great for the money too. RK5u4g is excellent. You need need any other tubes given what you have already or what is about to arrive. Play with those first!

Reactions: audioquattr

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I picked the PX4 over the PX25 because it seems to be less like the 242 compared to the PX25. Also, I'm having 242 gain mods done to my DAC especially because my system has too much gain, and I don't want to be stuck with both the PX25 and 242s if the mod isn't sufficient in taming these two output tubes
Stuck? There is a ready market for PX25 and 242 if you don't want them. LoL

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
I have the EML 300b mesh. Meh. Kinda slow and mechanical.

Tak is great with all. The Chinese Shuguang 274 is great for the money too. RK5u4g is excellent. You need need any other tubes given what you have already or what is about to arrive. Play with those first!
You are right, i also have the EML 300b mesh and also think it's very slow and muddy. Completely different than the EML 300b XLS!!

Reactions: bonzo75

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
True there's not a lot talk about EML 300b XLS , but it's my favourite 300b right now.
The Elrog's i allways like them very much when i put them in my Pac or in my Alieno amp, but Allways after 20-30 minutes i'm getting tired of them.
Tak 300b in lampi Dac i also very like it, better than most other 300b's for me, so IMHO.
I like the Tak 274b, gives a lot of soundstage and air, but only when the system is bass heavy and strong mids aswell. I prefer KR5U4.
Have you tried the RK vs KR 5u4g recti? head to head? We did and RK was clear winner.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Have you tried the RK vs KR 5u4g recti? head to head? We did and RK was clear winner.
Yes i have Norman. I prefer the RK5u4g on allmost all of my KR tubes; kr242, PX4, lampi rk300b's, kr45.
But with my Tak300b's and EML300b XLS i prefer the 2016 Lampi KR5u4 :).

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yes i have Norman. I prefer the RK5u4g on allmost all of my KR tubes; kr242, PX4, lampi rk300b's, kr45.
But with my Tak300b's and EML300b XLS i prefer the 2016 Lampi KR5u4 :).
Nice reference points there. I don't have Taks or EML XLS, but can try the 2016 KR recti on EML mesh 300b, mesh 45 and AG mesh 45, as well as PSVANE tubes and RK 300b. I can also try on uber vintage Cunningham 45s and some other vintage DHTs that I have.
Oh, please remind me of your first name...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Apart from the fact that PX25 has a bit higher gain than other tubes, there is no similarity with it and 242. The 242 gain is also way higher

Reactions: gian60 and wisnon

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Nice reference points there. I don't have Taks or EML XLS, but can try the 2016 KR recti on EML mesh 300b, mesh 45 and AG mesh 45, as well as PSVANE tubes and RK 300b. I can also try on uber vintage Cunningham 45s and some other vintage DHTs that I have.
Oh, please remind me of your first name...
Yes would be interesting which combi you will prefer. I liked the tests you guys did @ Christoph.
I never heard the AG mesh 45...wasn't available anymore. I have the EML45 mesh, i like the tone, soundstage not as good as lot others.

br, Jeroen

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Thanks Jeroen,

The AG mesh is much better than the regular EML mesh. It is light and airy but with less body than the other uber tubes, so is less headbanger. But on jazz/female vocals type of genre...its unbeatable to me. Similar to the vintage 45s like Cunninghams (1920s) and 1950s NU brand, but somehow "faster" and even more 3D.

AL sold his EML AG mesh, but I think he still has a pair of solid plate AGs for sale.
EML 25th anniversary globe (solid plate) 45 $1,800/pr negotiaable (unobtanium, may already be gone)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Make sure you get the Riccardo Kron Version KR 5u4g rectifier. I/we prefer the RK Version over the "regular" KR 5u4g anniversary version.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Thanks Jeroen,

The AG mesh is much better than the regular EML mesh. It is light and airy but with less body than the other uber tubes, so is less headbanger. But on jazz/female vocals type of genre...its unbeatable to me. Similar to the vintage 45s like Cunninghams (1920s) and 1950s NU brand, but somehow "faster" and even more 3D.
Ok to know those differences is very good, thanks Norman! Will be interesting to hear some time.

.. AL sold his EML AG mesh, but I think he still has a pair of solid plate AGs for sale.
EML 25th anniversary globe (solid plate) 45 $1,800/pr negotiaable (unobtanium, may already be gone)
Will think about that. First have to recover my piggy bank, bought to much stuff last few months... but thanks anyway!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The various globe and bottle nos 45 are nice too. If you pic the right recti. All kind of mike the px4 is a bit laid back. It clean top to bottom.
I play them of not serous or evaluating

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing